R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-15-2003, 07:42 AM   #421
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Omar
i have to see it to believe it. i have the sts turbo it flys down the straight beating os and novarossi and it cost less. the hpi engine looks like an sts but i dont know. how did you find out that the motor was made by sts
Well you can tell by looking with your eyes at the case and the carb. When you see one in real life you will know. Also I was told by somebody who is in a position to know

Believe me or not it does not matter to me

BTW the STS engines are a damn nice motor.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 08:10 AM   #422
Tech Adept

I just gave R40 a first winning last weekend and did not break anything!...I give 9 outoff 10 for R40...I only want the car to be a little lighter...I think R40 is the best STOCK car on the market righ now. I ran everthing stock! Run great..grip and steer like MFG!
X-Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 12:33 PM   #423
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by X-Garage
I just gave R40 a first winning last weekend and did not break anything!...I give 9 outoff 10 for R40...I only want the car to be a little lighter...I think R40 is the best STOCK car on the market righ now. I ran everthing stock! Run great..grip and steer like MFG!
There are a couple of things you can do to lighten the car up. You can use the AAA style reciever pack. You can also remove the reciever case and trim the updeck. Remount the reciever on the throttle servo. These are some of the things that Hara did to his car. He also had a lightened chassis and a few of his other parts trimmed up to reduce wait.
BallPy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 12:49 PM   #424
Tech Adept

I think oneway would reduce some of the weight off from the front too.
X-Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 01:50 PM   #425
Tech Regular

i dont know if the one-way would lighten up the car
Omar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 02:37 PM   #426
Tech Rookie

I just go my one way and using a parcel scale (i'm at work) it's coming in at .1 oz. I don't think this is very accurate since the scale's range starts at .1 ounces. Going by feel and if I remove the outdrives the one-way itself is pretty light.. similar to the others out there..
tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 07:57 PM   #427
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Omar
i dont know if the one-way would lighten up the car
The front one way will kill off some static mass and most importantly less rotating mass.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 09:54 PM   #428
Tech Regular

Just got back from running my R40 for the second time. Car really impressed me tonite. Very happy with it right now.

For those that asked about the OS TR Turbo engine. It really came alive tonite - just under a quart thru it now. I love it. Its got tons of torque and makes great power all the way thru the top end.

Two other guys at the track had -

1) an RB 3 port in an R40 which my engine is faster then now that its broken in

2) a Rody RB 12 in a 705 that has every lite weight part, hop up and custom engine mounts/clutchbell to make it lower, guess what that engine didnt show me anything. My car kept right with it.

We run a stretch that is about 125ft and the OS flies. Would the RB Rody pulled away on a 200 ft stretch, I dont know. Guess I'll find out next time I'm at a big track. But I love the TR Turbo for now.

More later, but I am very happy with the car and engine now.

FINALLY HPI, FINALLY.
treky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 10:14 PM   #429
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by treky11
We run a stretch that is about 125ft and the OS flies. Would the RB Rody pulled away on a 200 ft stretch, I dont know. Guess I'll find out next time I'm at a big track. But I love the TR Turbo for now.
Generally with the same final ratio gearing and tire layout, you'll probably find the Rody pulling away from you on a 200 feet stretch.

For a short track, the OS engine will pull along nicely with other engines. I would be interested to know what gearing the 705 was using. It is common knowledge that a stock non modifed 705 does not perform well on small tracks... The car is geared very well on high speed tracks. The R40 gears are closer to what you find on the MTX-3.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 06:03 AM   #430
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

The Impulse was running a RODY 5 port 12...the new $400 dollar one...along with a single speed...with custom made,low end gearing...custom made smaller flywheel,and custom made motor mounts...

Trekys car ran real well......It was more than a match for the RB 3 port turbo in my car(of course,I'd like to run the car against a FIVE port RB for a true comparison)...

The car(treky's) had more low end scoot(like a freight train).....

though the rb does come on mid range...almost closes the gap...I'll be getting the OS also for the HPI challenge in vegas..

The real issue is how well does the car run.....Treky seems to to think he would be faster with his tc3....I can't argue..I might be also.....but we are still getting used to teh cars....

I will tell you this.......I enjoy driving this car better....its eaisier turning......and in my opionion,is just as stable as a tc3...it gives that same feeling driving a s a tc3..the faster you go,the better the car runs....I don't get the same push feeling I get the associated....The car pulls in under gas....and doesnt spin out...

It has a little push off gas(same as RC car said)..but I can fool with diff oils next year...and it just adds to the ease of driving...

We raced pretty hard last night..I had no problems with any parts....teh car takes a good beating,,,I got wacked in my RB pipe also..no issues with the side pulley either...

It doesnt have the out of the same shot out of canon feel,but the car is 4 oz's heavier..and it is a belt drive....and I think thats why teh guys think they might be faster with the tc3...

Treky is faster then he thinks with the car...I think I'm faster with it also....

all in all..a very good car......

PS..I just checked teh set up settings..

they're all the same as when I started 2 weeks ago...

Last edited by fastharry™; 09-17-2003 at 06:37 AM.
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 07:37 AM   #431
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

For those with the R40, the 2-speed shoes and gears are interchangable with the Serpent Impulse/Impact and HPI Proceed. I have a 2wd Impact and did a little experiment due to my kit had defective 2-speed shoes in which on cracked. Since I don't run 235mm much, I swapped them out and they worked perfectly. So, if you need these parts in a pinch and can't wait on ordered parts or the parts to hit you LHS, you can substitute these to get you by in the meantime.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 09:29 AM   #432
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by JLock
For those with the R40, the 2-speed shoes and gears are interchangable with the Serpent Impulse/Impact and HPI Proceed. I have a 2wd Impact and did a little experiment due to my kit had defective 2-speed shoes in which on cracked. Since I don't run 235mm much, I swapped them out and they worked perfectly. So, if you need these parts in a pinch and can't wait on ordered parts or the parts to hit you LHS, you can substitute these to get you by in the meantime.
Yes they work, but I did hear that they were about 1-1.5mm smaller.
treky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 09:39 AM   #433
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by treky11
Yes they work, but I did hear that they were about 1-1.5mm smaller.
Not the ones from my Impact (an older spec, 99 or 00 I think). They were identical in diameter and circumference. I don't know about the shoes from the newer model serpents (705, 835, 950). But it is nice to know you can substitute until you can get the HPI ones.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 11:01 PM   #434
Tech Regular

hpi spur and pinion gears are cheap. $3 for a spur gear thats cool. looks like i will have alot of spur and pinion gears in my tool box
Omar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 02:52 AM   #435
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I bought my spur gears for $2.40 and pinions for $3.50. Can't beat that price and front oneway for $33. Man this is amazing or what
luketob is offline   Reply With Quote