R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-05-2005, 01:49 PM   #4216
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to 007kel Send a message via Yahoo to 007kel

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
hey AMG.....How much fun is the Drift package?...how about a small review?...I figure,maybe I'll convert the EVO 3 I won the Challenge with to a drift car....
Fastharry, sorry if I'm cutting in on this conversation. But I shoot vids for frequency-rc.com. And we were out at the JGTC in California Speedway, so we got a look at the HPI drift package. If you're interested, there's a vid we did on our site on the JGTC. It shows the drift package on a RS4 3 Evo in action.
007kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 02:58 PM   #4217
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
hey AMG.....How much fun is the Drift package?...how about a small review?...I figure,maybe I'll convert the EVO 3 I won the Challenge with to a drift car....
I think the fun of a drift package comes from whether you personally enjoy drift or not. A few buddies of mine got bored with it in 20 minutes or so. I personally really dig it, like I said personal choice.

The package itself is pretty darn good. You get a new chassis plate and top deck plates which moves the motor really far forward basically unloading the rear wheels a lot. You get 26mm front and 30mm rubber tires that are quite hard. Also you get new driveshafts and a different exhaust manifold. My set also came with a veilside RX7 body.

I converted a SS with the .12R motor. It takes a little work on the chassis to get the car to drift well, there are instructions with the kit but they are all in Japanese. The tires are actually fairly grippy and with my SS in racing trim with the conversion it actually did not drift particularly well. Once I locked up the rear diff with some putty then the games began Now I can hold long lurid drifts through the sweepers. As a final note I set mine up so that the pipe stinger exits the rear of the car via a piece of fishtank pipe giving the impression of tire smoke on throttle. Way cool.

Here is a HPI video:

http://www.hpiracing.co.jp/contents/movies/stage_d.wmv

AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 03:40 PM   #4218
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to JAG Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by nsxshogun
Yea I have the one-way and I like the off power steering. But I haven't been the the track to test it yet. Ill probally try to pick up the solid axle and try that out. What about locking my diffs? Wouldnt that be the same as a solid axle.
Yea - pretty much. I have used 50k - 100k OFNA Diff lock oil in my front to lock it up. This weekend I will be testing the solid front. One advantage to the solid is the weight savings ( in the 10 - 15 gram range )
JAG Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 03:43 PM   #4219
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by JAG Racing
Yea - pretty much. I have used 50k - 100k OFNA Diff lock oil in my front to lock it up. This weekend I will be testing the solid front. One advantage to the solid is the weight savings ( in the 10 - 15 gram range )
The solid rocks on a small tight track, you will love it
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:26 PM   #4220
Tech Fanatic

Thumbs up G'day

Hi Guys, just thought i'd say g'day. i have been racing in townsville Nth Qld Australia for the past 8 months in electric and nitro classes, and this year have chosen an R40 as my weapon for anihilating the opposition. Still learning heaps about the car with every run, which by the way is a stock car straight out of the box running an OS12TR-P-(T) engine and JR XS3 radio with additional a.b.s. fail safe module. Thanks for all the interesting tips in the forum, still working my way through them all but will hopefully join in on the forums soon. Cheers, Speedbug
Speedbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:02 PM   #4221
Tech Prophet

Quote:
What about locking my diffs? Wouldnt that be the same as a solid axle.
It would give the same characteristics. But note that a real solid axle will always be lighter and have less rotation of mass than diffs that are locked.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:24 PM   #4222
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to nsxshogun

Ok I thought It was the same but how do I lock it?
nsxshogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 08:58 PM   #4223
Tech Regular

Quote:
Ok I thought It was the same but how do I lock it?
You never truely lock it. But when you fill the differential case with such thick oil, it is virtually inoperative as a differential - quassi-lock

The diff lock oil will cost about $10 and the spool will cost about $16. You may as well get the spool and take the weight savings. Since the spool requires no oil, NO LEAKS either!
Old 01-05-2005, 09:26 PM   #4224
Tech Fanatic

if you use a lock diff for a short tight track, what changes do you need to make to steering geometry as a starting point, toe-in, toe-out or neutral?
Speedbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:50 PM   #4225
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
It would give the same characteristics. But note that a real solid axle will always be lighter and have less rotation of mass than diffs that are locked.
where to buy a real solid axle ???
I just have the aluminum thing to lock the diff...is that it?

kumpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 04:48 AM   #4226
Tech Fanatic

You can get them from towerhobbies or anywhere else that sells r40 parts. I now need to raise my front ride hieght. I have both grafite towers and the rear is nice and high. But I can never seem the raise the front. Whats a good way to do that?
Old 01-06-2005, 06:17 AM   #4227
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedbug
if you use a lock diff for a short tight track, what changes do you need to make to steering geometry as a starting point, toe-in, toe-out or neutral?
I would suggest just changing one thing at a time. After you install the locked front diff., run the car. Then make changes from there. You might be satisfied with only that change.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:18 AM   #4228
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by kumpol
where to buy a real solid axle ???
I just have the aluminum thing to lock the diff...is that it?

That's it! You are just placing the planetary gear set with the solid aluminim cylynder piece.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:21 AM   #4229
Tech Regular

Quote:
You can get them from towerhobbies or anywhere else that sells r40 parts. I now need to raise my front ride hieght. I have both grafite towers and the rear is nice and high. But I can never seem the raise the front. Whats a good way to do that?
By adjusting the front shock springs (comress the spring more). If this doesnt work, then some of your droop/chassis stop adjustments are the limiting factor. Also - are you using the stock shocks? Make sure they extend fully.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:01 PM   #4230
Tech Fanatic

Yes currently im using stock shocks. I just got finished rebulding the shocks so they word fine. Ill check the droop and settings though.