R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-05-2004, 09:09 PM   #4036
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD
Default Clutch Problem

This is a problem I encountered today and only today. Sometimes when I drive the car the engine will rev at a constant speed for a while until say I tap the throttle again. This also happens when I hit the brakes after the car has been running at close to mid speed. I don't know what happened. Don't think it has to do with the cold, because I never had a problem like this before or on my other centax. What do you think it could be?
Old 11-05-2004, 10:14 PM   #4037
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re: Clutch Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by HarKonnenD
This is a problem I encountered today and only today. Sometimes when I drive the car the engine will rev at a constant speed for a while until say I tap the throttle again. This also happens when I hit the brakes after the car has been running at close to mid speed. I don't know what happened. Don't think it has to do with the cold, because I never had a problem like this before or on my other centax. What do you think it could be?
Throttle servo is not returning to center or sticking
huskerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 06:12 PM   #4038
Tech Rookie

you enigne settings are off a little bit that will cause it to jump up like that try adjusting your motor
fastntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 08:53 PM   #4039
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

It may be the tuning. The lsn wasn't tuned since break in and it worked out fine. I guess it may be the RB #6 plug I put in there that may affect the running. I ran a Novarossi #4 plug (stock) and never had this problem at all, while also running the same fuel. Maybe I should get another one and try that. I'll try working on it when its not so cold.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:50 PM   #4040
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Can anyone tell me, has anyone released any aluminum bulkheads for the R40 yet? Im curious to see if anyone has designed "Open" Style aluminum bulkheads yet, as i had some problems with the front bulkhead cutting down belts.
tunerjetta29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 11:31 AM   #4041
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to JAG Racing
Default Light-weigth 2-Speed and Clutch

Well, I ran the new light-weight 2-speed tranny along with the Mugen grey clutch shoe. After some minor tweaking of shift point, I have a fairly decent set-up. I wish HPI would sell some steeper gear ratios than what they currently sell. I am using the shortest gears as possible and it's just too much top-end.

The Mugen grey clutch shoe worked OK I guess. It didnt really stand out as a major improvement to what I had seen with the stock set-up (using MT-12 engine).

I'll do some more experimenting over the next couple of months.
JAG Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 02:05 PM   #4042
Tech Elite

Default Re: Light-weigth 2-Speed and Clutch

Quote:
Originally posted by JAG Racing
Well, I ran the new light-weight 2-speed tranny along with the Mugen grey clutch shoe. After some minor tweaking of shift point, I have a fairly decent set-up. I wish HPI would sell some steeper gear ratios than what they currently sell. I am using the shortest gears as possible and it's just too much top-end.

The Mugen grey clutch shoe worked OK I guess. It didnt really stand out as a major improvement to what I had seen with the stock set-up (using MT-12 engine).

I'll do some more experimenting over the next couple of months.
I have found that the Mugen shoe by itself does not give a huge improvement, you must use a stiffer spring along with it. The stock spring seemed to be too soft to me.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 02:40 PM   #4043
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Does any one know the part # for the rear body post for the outside of the graphite towers or ones that will work.

Amg

Ran the car this weekend with the stock side brace and the flex side plate I like the flex one beter i did have more rear tracktion with it but i didn't try the stock one with only two screws
Old 11-08-2004, 03:13 PM   #4044
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by 20 SMOKE
Does any one know the part # for the rear body post for the outside of the graphite towers or ones that will work.

Amg

Ran the car this weekend with the stock side brace and the flex side plate I like the flex one beter i did have more rear tracktion with it but i didn't try the stock one with only two screws
Thanks smoke. I bought the flex plate myself a few weeks back and I agree. I tried the stock plate, stock with 2 screws and flex plate and I liked the flex plate the most. Predictably it killed a little steering off in favour of rear grip but I found that the car was very consistent.

I used the body posts from the Pro 2 that I had hanging around. Here is a link:

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/instr/p2/pro2-5.jpg

It is part A371. I am sure others will fit.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:49 AM   #4045
Tech Initiate

shiffting into 2nd speed - pls help!!

Can any advice how do you know if the car is shiffting into 2nd gear? I have run in my new R40 today and it is very fast. But i could not hear the car is shiffting into 2nd gear? Is this normal?
Normally i run my monster truck and could easily hear the 2nd speed engagement.

Also how do you adjust the 2nd speed. should i tighten all hte way the 2 screws for the 2nd speed....??

Would appreciate any advice.

Cheers
KING HOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 08:17 AM   #4046
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to JAG Racing
Default Re: shiffting into 2nd speed - pls help!!

Quote:
Originally posted by KING HOBBIES
Can any advice how do you know if the car is shiffting into 2nd gear? I have run in my new R40 today and it is very fast. But i could not hear the car is shiffting into 2nd gear? Is this normal?
Normally i run my monster truck and could easily hear the 2nd speed engagement.

Also how do you adjust the 2nd speed. should i tighten all hte way the 2 screws for the 2nd speed....??

Would appreciate any advice.

Cheers
King - With the engine running(obviously), just hold the car off of the ground using the rollbar ( easy place to hold it; the car body is not on the car at this time ). As you hit the throttle, you should hear a faint change in engine tone as is shifts plus you can feel the car shift as it hits second gear (rocks slightly). The engine RPMs sometimes have to get fairly high to make it "bench-shift" so don't keep on the throttle too long. If you don't hear or feel the car shift, then make the appropriate adjustment to the shift point. Once you have it shifting, do some hot-laps on the track to fine-tune the shifting point.

To make it shift earlier - turn both adjustment screws equally in CCW. For later shifting; turn both CW (usually in 1/4 turn increments).

Given your statments above, you might start with the assumption that you are already in second gear - SO, start with 1/4 or 1/2 CW turns on both screws.

Good Luck!
JAG Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 06:33 PM   #4047
Tech Lord

AMG did you say you tried different shock pistons and what did it do to the car , entering and leaving the corners
Old 11-14-2004, 06:51 PM   #4048
Tech Elite

Quote:
AMG did you say you tried different shock pistons and what did it do to the car , entering and leaving the corners
Yeah I use the optional machined shock pistons. It really noticably smooths up the shock action.

I am using a single hole piston in front and the 3 x 0.8mm hole piston in the rear right now. Seems to balance the car our quite nicely when running a one-way.

Shock pistons are useful for fine tuning the way the car reacts to the chassis rolling, you can adjust the speed of the roll with them.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:44 PM   #4049
Tech Lord

Thanks i"ll try it to see if the car sets a little beter in the corners for me
Old 11-14-2004, 08:57 PM   #4050
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks i"ll try it to see if the car sets a little beter in the corners for me
I depends on how many corners you have and how fast you go through them. If you have lots of sharp little corners use pistons with more holes and lighter oils. If you have more sweeping corners use pistons with less holes and thicker oils. Thats putting it somewhat crudely.