R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-12-2004, 12:17 AM   #3826
Tech Regular

Does anyone know where to get a 2004 Edition kit online?
jbackslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 12:40 AM   #3827
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jscamry Send a message via MSN to jscamry Send a message via Yahoo to jscamry Send a message via Skype™ to jscamry
Default Re: R40 Ti Screw Set

Quote:
Originally posted by andyh
FYI the R40 Ti screw set is available in the US, the part number is Z368. (Full set, 40% lighter than the standard steel screws)
Does this mean that the Ti screw set is less prone to stripping, even if one is using good drivers? Also does anyone know if tower will be getting the Ti screw set in?

thanks Jason
jscamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 05:23 AM   #3828
Tech Elite

Well I leaned a few nice tips for the R40 last night.

If you disconnect the side brace you will get a heap of extra rear grip, but the car is less consistent. I agree with Hara, and using the 2 screws instead of 4 really does make the car feel better balanced.

On my track with a ton of 180 degree turns standing the rear shocks up made the car tons better on power.

Lastly i installed the front diff instead of the oneway, and on a loose track the car was much more predictable. Lesson learned, if you drive the diff and it is no slower use it!
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 11:55 AM   #3829
Tech Adept

I love R40!
X-Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 07:22 PM   #3830
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by regg151
nearly forgot I currently have the RCscrewz on my R40 and i'm constantly haveing problems with the heads stripping out on me. I love the look of stainless but hate haveing to resort to a dremal to get my screws out.
I had called RC Screwz a while back and they told me that there is a difference in the dimensions the mfg's use to produce both the tool tips and screw heads. The US produced screws and tools are a shade larger then those produces overseas. RC Screwz explained that all of the overseas products are made using metric sizes converted from us feet and inches and that they didn't use enough precision to do the conversion.

The end result is that you need to use a hex driver produced in the US to get a good fit.

I always thought 2mm was 2mm everywhere.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 07:36 PM   #3831
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
Well I leaned a few nice tips for the R40 last night.

If you disconnect the side brace you will get a heap of extra rear grip, but the car is less consistent. I agree with Hara, and using the 2 screws instead of 4 really does make the car feel better balanced.

What about the side flex brace thats what i got
Old 09-12-2004, 07:38 PM   #3832
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Rapid Roy
I had called RC Screwz a while back and they told me that there is a difference in the dimensions the mfg's use to produce both the tool tips and screw heads. The US produced screws and tools are a shade larger then those produces overseas. RC Screwz explained that all of the overseas products are made using metric sizes converted from us feet and inches and that they didn't use enough precision to do the conversion.

The end result is that you need to use a hex driver produced in the US to get a good fit.

I always thought 2mm was 2mm everywhere.
I use the HPI Ti screwset with the HUDY 2mm drivers and they are a perfect fit.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:40 PM   #3833
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by 20 SMOKE
What about the side flex brace thats what i got
No idea I dont have that item. Try the two and let us know what you think.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:44 PM   #3834
Tech Lord

Soon as i run havn't had a chance all summer and club racing starts this month but that depends on these dam hurricanes. I have stock brace and the flex one so i'll do what i can
Old 09-13-2004, 06:48 AM   #3835
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

hi guys....just wanted to say HI.....I'm on my way home from the HPI worlds..in the airport in leeds.....Finished in 7th in the a main in nitro stock.......A UK racer won......between 5th and seventh,there were only 7 seconds apart.....

My car started to act a little squirrely half way through the 20 minute main....but I pressed on(little England verbiege )....

found out while cleanining the car,the OFNA,Brand new,purple wheel nut came loose,and stripped the hub(OFNA quality continues to impress me)......so all in all,not bad for an old man with 3 wheel drive......

Had a great time.......THANKS hpi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW,You should see the R40 run on a real race track track(rather than a typical parking lot track).....awesome..

cheers.(thats English for see ya later,alligator 0

Last edited by fastharry™; 09-13-2004 at 06:54 AM.
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 07:21 AM   #3836
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
found out while cleanining the car,the OFNA,Brand new,purple wheel nut came loose,and stripped the hub(OFNA quality continues to impress me

Yup!

On and off once or twice and they're done. GS aren't much better either. Too risky

Although much better, HPI and Tamiya aluminum wheel nuts should be changed every 6-10 on and off cycles especially for nitro on-road.

Seems like locknuts made from aluminum need to use a softer locking plastic material than steel locknuts to prevent stripping or stretching the aluminum nut itself. Ever noticed how much harder it is to thread on a steel locknut?
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 09:20 AM   #3837
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
hi guys....just wanted to say HI.....I'm on my way home from the HPI worlds..in the airport in leeds.....Finished in 7th in the a main in nitro stock.......A UK racer won......between 5th and seventh,there were only 7 seconds apart.....

My car started to act a little squirrely half way through the 20 minute main....but I pressed on(little England verbiege )....

found out while cleanining the car,the OFNA,Brand new,purple wheel nut came loose,and stripped the hub(OFNA quality continues to impress me)......so all in all,not bad for an old man with 3 wheel drive......

Had a great time.......THANKS hpi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW,You should see the R40 run on a real race track track(rather than a typical parking lot track).....awesome..

cheers.(thats English for see ya later,alligator 0
Placed 7th racing against the WORLD.....job well done, congrat.
Did you race the Nitro MOD class...? What about those Japanese R40 racer...? Insane fast again....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 09:23 AM   #3838
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
Well I leaned a few nice tips for the R40 last night.If you disconnect the side brace you will get a heap of extra rear grip, but the car is less consistent. I agree with Hara, and using the 2 screws instead of 4 really does make the car feel better balanced.
Hara used the stock purple side brace PLATE (or you are talking about the bridge at the 2-speed side..?) and only used 2 screws instead of 4? Which 2..? Upper 2 or lower 2?
Just want to give that a try.........
Diff are more predictable on tight track........1-way are more speed and high power.......it really depends on the driver driving habbit.......for me, I can't handle 1-way, I like to know exactly where my car will go instead of guessing the car where she will go.....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 04:25 PM   #3839
Tech Lord

Default Side Brace

Here you go jason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0423.jpg (168.4 KB, 135 views)
Old 09-13-2004, 04:36 PM   #3840
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie Solara
Hara used the stock purple side brace PLATE (or you are talking about the bridge at the 2-speed side..?) and only used 2 screws instead of 4? Which 2..? Upper 2 or lower 2?
Just want to give that a try.........
Diff are more predictable on tight track........1-way are more speed and high power.......it really depends on the driver driving habbit.......for me, I can't handle 1-way, I like to know exactly where my car will go instead of guessing the car where she will go.....
I use the graphite brace myself, but yes I am talking about the purple brace plate. Thad mentioned that Hara used only two screws in the top, which I myself did, and I found that it made a very subtle difference to the feel on the rear of the car. I used the two screws on the left (ie. no screws to the rear of the car) and the car made a ton of rear traction. In fact it understeered badly. So I guess if you are really struggling for rear grip and you need a quick fix there it is. Having no rear screws does make the car less consistent.

I always use a one-way diff on every touring car I drive, I generally dont like front diffs I find them too hard to drive. However what I did find out was that in difficult conditions (the track was pretty slippery) the oneway setup I found was as fast as the diff setup I used (I used black front and gold rear springs as the only difference) and the diff setup ended up being a much more consistent setup (ie my standard deviation was much lower). This was something I had never tried before. Of course when the grip is high enough a one-way will always be superior.