R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-09-2004, 09:21 PM   #3796
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by rod_b
Am I mistaken or did I see titanium wood screws in the HPI kit?

Hey Thad, it looks like Hara's engine was a NovaMax. Did Maxy make additional mods to the engine?
You can call them that. I call them "self-tapping" screws as I dont like to think my car is held together with "wood screws". Sounds kinda hack.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:23 PM   #3797
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Thad Garner
I will pass on the idea.

Here is Hara's nats setup- http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/se...sr40_setup.jpg
Thanks Thad. I have seen this. The sort of detail I am looking for (I know I am a hard task master ) is like why does he use the 72210 professional piston set over the kit teflon piston set. Why has he gone with 2 x 1.1 rear hole pistons over the 3 x 0.8 pistons. I am not totally dumb so I can guess of course, but I would like to hear it from the champ himself.........

Oh yeah and the setup sheet is missing some details like what was his scrutineered weight, and what hopup items did he use. There was mention that he used some of his own "Hara" items. Also I notice that his wheelbase is locked in place with shims rather than clips. And he used the rear aluminium lower arm mounts. I got a million questions

As some of the guys above mentioned getting these sorts of questions answered is great as you feel a little "factory supported". Max Biaggi is always whining he does not have the latest factory parts but it aint helping Alex Barros, so mayby factory support is not all it is cracked up to be

Last edited by AMGRacer; 09-09-2004 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:29 PM   #3798
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by rod_b
Am I mistaken or did I see titanium wood screws in the HPI kit?

Hey Thad, it looks like Hara's engine was a NovaMax. Did Maxy make additional mods to the engine?
We call them self taping screwsÖnot wood screws.

Aaaaaaaaa

R/C Tech Forum Home > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Gas Sedan Nats. Toledo, Ohio - read page 8

Last edited by Thad Garner; 09-09-2004 at 10:19 PM.
Thad Garner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:48 PM   #3799
Tech Apprentice

Hey Thad do you know which Middle pulley Hara used?
dannybcaitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 10:15 PM   #3800
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
Thanks Thad. I have seen this. The sort of detail I am looking for (I know I am a hard task master ) is like why does he use the 72210 professional piston set over the kit teflon piston set. Why has he gone with 2 x 1.1 rear hole pistons over the 3 x 0.8 pistons. I am not totally dumb so I can guess of course, but I would like to hear it from the champ himself.........

Oh yeah and the setup sheet is missing some details like what was his scrutineered weight, and what hopup items did he use. There was mention that he used some of his own "Hara" items. Also I notice that his wheelbase is locked in place with shims rather than clips. And he used the rear aluminium lower arm mounts. I got a million questions

As some of the guys above mentioned getting these sorts of questions answered is great as you feel a little "factory supported". Max Biaggi is always whining he does not have the latest factory parts but it aint helping Alex Barros, so mayby factory support is not all it is cracked up to be
Hara is always traveling. Unfortunately I donít think youíll ever see him on this forum. I will try and answer as many questions as possible.

The 72210 piston profile provides slightly better dampening. The grey kit pistons have rounded sides the accelerates the oil around the sides of the piston rather then 100% thru the holes. Because the 72210 pistons are machined they are super precise. The flat sides and tight fit make for improved dampening.

His car was 20g under. Lead weight was placed behind the battery under the fuel tank.

Option parts used other than what comes with the 2004 spec R40.

Hara Racing Products option parts
- Performance chassis (Purple) same as HPI super chassis but purple
- Titanium hinge pins
- Titanium pivot balls
- One piece heat-sink motor mount
HPI Option parts
- One way
- Graphite shock towers F/R
- Aluminum threaded shocks
- Titanium screw set
- Graphite suspension parts
- 4 gear diff
- 900mah small RX battery pack
- Aluminum rear arm mount. Used the stock 0 position
- Aluminum suspension spacers. They are less likely to deform
during a crash.
- LW Brake disk
Non HPI parts
- Mugen Gray clutch shoe
- Mugen Silver hard clutch spring

Biaggi a few years back when riding the M1 was saying that if he was on the Honda that he could win races. Max Biaggi is always whining and it gets him nowhere.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:15 PM   #3801
Tech Regular

Old 09-09-2004, 10:19 PM   #3802
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by dannybcaitlyn
Hey Thad do you know which Middle pulley Hara used?
23T
Old 09-09-2004, 10:32 PM   #3803
Tech Elite

Quote:
The 72210 piston profile provides slightly better dampening. The grey kit pistons have rounded sides the accelerates the oil around the sides of the piston rather then 100% thru the holes. Because the 72210 pistons are machined they are super precise. The flat sides and tight fit make for improved dampening.

Biaggi a few years back when riding the M1 was saying that if he was on the Honda that he could win races. Max Biaggi is always whining and it gets him nowhere.
Thanks Thad great stuff. It does not have to be from Hara or on this forum, but this sort of feedback is awesome.

Hmmm now those pistons sounds worth trying out. I will have to pick up a few sets of those pistons.

What is the advantage of the one piece mounts you know? I notice that kyosho has one out for the V1RRR as well. I had one years back for my V1R but never noticed any advantage.........

Also I noticed Hara used the alloy drag link and side plate. I assume he did not change to graphite since he was already under weight, or he felt the extra rigidity of the alloy is better.

Also do you know if Hara shims all the play put of the car completely? Obviously this is the ticket in electric racing, but I dunno about gas..........

It is good to see Rossi kicking it on a totally new bike in his first season, that guy has crazy skill I dont think we have seen what he can do yet.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:47 PM   #3804
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jscamry Send a message via MSN to jscamry Send a message via Yahoo to jscamry Send a message via Skype™ to jscamry

Quote:
Thanks Thad great stuff. It does not have to be from Hara or on this forum, but this sort of feedback is awesome.

Hmmm now those pistons sounds worth trying out. I will have to pick up a few sets of those pistons.

What is the advantage of the one piece mounts you know? I notice that kyosho has one out for the V1RRR as well. I had one years back for my V1R but never noticed any advantage.........

Also I noticed Hara used the alloy drag link and side plate. I assume he did not change to graphite since he was already under weight, or he felt the extra rigidity of the alloy is better.

Also do you know if Hara shims all the play put of the car completely? Obviously this is the ticket in electric racing, but I dunno about gas..........

It is good to see Rossi kicking it on a totally new bike in his first season, that guy has crazy skill I dont think we have seen what he can do yet.
yeah I agree with amgracer, I was wondering about the one-piece mounts, and where can pics be found of the mounts?

-J.
jscamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 11:11 PM   #3805
Tech Regular

Quote:

From what ive been told, the one piece mount cuts down on vibration resulting in higher engine revs. http://www.atsushihara.com/product/egmount.htm

He was using the aluminum side brace because thatís all he had. I forgot to bring the graphite ones. But we only used the top screws. Hara said the car felt better balanced left to right with only the top screws.

The car probably had around 0.3mm of play in the arms. The steering had a little slop.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:21 PM   #3806
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey T since you are being a swell guy and answering all the tech questions so well I have one for you. How do you shim and what parts do you use to make the center force clutch work?

Thanks for all the other info

Everyone congrats Hara for the win but shouldn't the wrench man and pit man get part of the glory!!!
huskerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 11:32 PM   #3807
Tech Elite

Quote:
From what ive been told, the one piece mount cuts down on vibration resulting in higher engine revs. http://www.atsushihara.com/product/egmount.htm

He was using the aluminum side brace because thatís all he had. I forgot to bring the graphite ones. But we only used the top screws. Hara said the car felt better balanced left to right with only the top screws.

The car probably had around 0.3mm of play in the arms. The steering had a little slop.
I can see that with the mounts. Do you know anywhere that sells the Hara products?

I will have to try the top screw thing sounds interesting.

I have a bit of slop in my car, sounds like about the same as Hara, guess I wont worry about it too much
Old 09-09-2004, 11:46 PM   #3808
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by huskerfreak
Hey T since you are being a swell guy and answering all the tech questions so well I have one for you. How do you shim and what parts do you use to make the center force clutch work?

Thanks for all the other info

Everyone congrats Hara for the win but shouldn't the wrench man and pit man get part of the glory!!!
Thatís a very complicated question. I used all HPI clutch parts except for the shoe and spring. We spent a whole day of practice just setting up the clutch. Itís basically a tug of war between end play and spring tension. Many factors play a roll in setting the clutch. Traction and Engine settings are just a few. But if you change pipes or use a different shore tire then the clutch may need to be changed accordingly.

Yes, pitting is a major factor in nitro racing especially during a long main. But remember Hara is the one who drove flawlessly for 1 hour.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:45 AM   #3809
Tech Rookie

Hey T.

Just noticed that Hara didn't have his car 'trimmed' i.e dremelled anywhere? Most of the guys over here lighten theirs by cutting holes here and there. What's your recommendation to bring the weight down besides TI screws and essentially what option parts are really required to make the R40 competitive? Thx.

I'm at 1855g without fuel and shell!!!

Just to share - Have tried using the Yokomo ti turnbuckles (25mm) for the front steering with MTX3 ball ends and they seem to withstand impact better without affecting the toe in/out setting.
The Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 05:59 AM   #3810

Quote:

One thing that I did to take all the steering play out of the car was to put plastic under the ball cap. By plastic I mean plastic bag, like the HPI Parts come in. Put grease on the plastic, put it on the ball, and snap the cap down. The steering still moves free, and takes almost all the play out. (you have probably thought of this already but its worth the try)

Steve
2quick4you is offline   Reply With Quote