R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-21-2004, 10:12 AM   #3511

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy_azz_mat
the only thing i dont like about the lightweight 2 speed is that it doesnt use the stock pinions and spurs...and since i have already bought every single one availble its gonna get expensive to do the same with the lightweight one...and if i just buy the lightweight version then im stuck with all these pinions and spurs that i cant use........ c my delema and that 2speed helps with lowering weight alot....

If anyone is interested in a full set of BRAND NEW pinions and spurs i am willing to sell them....

also the lightweight chassis looks wicked awesome....to bad i blew all my cash on the towers, 2speed shafts and hudy setup system.......ahh well....

Darkseid - if u find the lightweight upper deck and lightweight reciever case tell me....ive been lookin for that thing for who knows how long...

AMGRacer - i wouldnt suggest the rubber tires.....only bc HPI discourages the use of rubbers on the chassis bc it was only tested on foams so you may not like what you see.......
Some people have no choice but to race on rubber tires. Not all clubs and races allow foams.

Also, Hara used the Proceed Red spring on his R40 at the 2003 ROAR Fuel-sedan Nationals. I am going to a track very similar in size and traction. Does anyone know the rating on these springs and what Associated spring they are most similar to.

Thanks.
2quick4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:47 AM   #3512
BF
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm
Then FAQ / Tuning Guide / Level One Adjustments.

The proceed spring rates are listed there but not the R40.
BF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 11:36 AM   #3513
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The R40 on rubber tires:

The main local club track that I run on is concrete. The car runs get on rubber tires if you have to right set-up. I have found a set-up in which I can switch between foam and rubber tires and the car handles almost identically on concrete or asphalt. This is also with the front diff in the car. The key is finding that dual/neutral set-up. In fact, in testing my R40 and MTX-3 on asphalt this past weekend, my R40 seemed faster than my Mugen and it has the older Sirio and stock 1.0 gears and my MTX-3 has the new Evo 2 Sirio with stock 1.0 gears and is 100 grams lighter. Just my $0.02.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 01:14 PM   #3514
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rod_b
Very twitchy. Hard to drive unless you're on a track with mega traction.
The two tracks I race on are 950 and 1075 ft long and fast
Old 07-21-2004, 03:24 PM   #3515
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
the only thing i dont like about the lightweight 2 speed is that it doesnt use the stock pinions and spurs...and since i have already bought every single one availble its gonna get expensive to do the same with the lightweight one...and if i just buy the lightweight version then im stuck with all these pinions and spurs that i cant use........ c my delema and that 2speed helps with lowering weight alot....

If anyone is interested in a full set of BRAND NEW pinions and spurs i am willing to sell them....

also the lightweight chassis looks wicked awesome....to bad i blew all my cash on the towers, 2speed shafts and hudy setup system.......ahh well....

Darkseid - if u find the lightweight upper deck and lightweight reciever case tell me....ive been lookin for that thing for who knows how long...

AMGRacer - i wouldnt suggest the rubber tires.....only bc HPI discourages the use of rubbers on the chassis bc it was only tested on foams so you may not like what you see.......
Well, I've only bought two pinions of the current set(one tooth up for both 1st and 2nd) so thats not a problem for me. The stock gearing was perfect for my track.

I have a few extra bucks, so I'll be able to swing the chassis and shafts at the same time...now that I actually want to buy them.

I found the HPI upper deck at RCModel. I'm going to see if I can get it through special order at the LHS first, but if I can't, then I'll go to RCModel. Also, the 3 Racing lightweight upper deck looks good...and cost half as much.

http://rc-mushroom.com/images/HR4009.jpg
Old 07-21-2004, 05:26 PM   #3516
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default fastharry

hey harry i'm going to Syracuse NY. in november ,how far is that from your home track? I 'm begging my wife to let me make room for my r/c car to take on the trip let me know
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 05:28 PM   #3517
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default Re: fastharry

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcos.S710
hey harry i'm going to Syracuse NY. in november ,how far is that from your home track? I 'm begging my wife to let me make room for my r/c car to take on the trip let me know
i almost forgot how is the racing up there during that time of year?
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:27 PM   #3518
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid
Well, I've only bought two pinions of the current set(one tooth up for both 1st and 2nd) so thats not a problem for me. The stock gearing was perfect for my track.

I have a few extra bucks, so I'll be able to swing the chassis and shafts at the same time...now that I actually want to buy them.

I found the HPI upper deck at RCModel. I'm going to see if I can get it through special order at the LHS first, but if I can't, then I'll go to RCModel. Also, the 3 Racing lightweight upper deck looks good...and cost half as much.

http://rc-mushroom.com/images/HR4009.jpg
is that one any lighter? and buy how much? who makes it? wat they charge for it?
crazy_azz_mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:49 PM   #3519

It is not much lighter. It comes on the 2004 Spec Edition, and it is a little more open.
2quick4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:41 PM   #3520
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by BF
I'll be at wynnum with mine on Sunday. You'll want sorex 28R early in the morning and 32R later on, but I'll just run 32R all day. Inserts also make a big difference.

I've just rebuit mine and it's pushing badly, I hope to get some track time before Sunday but I doubt work will allow that
Cool see you there! I am running in open with a MT12 so I have chosen the 36R since last time my rears were overheating badly. What inserts do you run, I have the Sorex Medium racing profiles...........

I have a pretty good wynnum setup from my old V1RR so I am hoping that some of it translates over ok............
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:21 PM   #3521
BF
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
Cool see you there! I am running in open with a MT12 so I have chosen the 36R since last time my rears were overheating badly. What inserts do you run, I have the Sorex Medium racing profiles...........

I have a pretty good wynnum setup from my old V1RR so I am hoping that some of it translates over ok............
I have that OS 12cv in this R40 and haven't be able to get off work to run it at a meet yet, but it seems to stick better with 32R than 36R the way it is at the moment. Sorex B Medium inserts appear to work best for me. Some of the guys only run 36R regardless. I believe some of the open guys were running speedmind racing profile medium inserts on their snakes and mugens but those appear to have gone off the market so maybe the Sorex C would be similar to them.

Last edited by BF; 07-22-2004 at 06:26 AM.
BF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 01:39 PM   #3522
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
is that one any lighter? and buy how much? who makes it? wat they charge for it?
That one in the pic is the 3 Racing upper deck. It doesn't have as many relief points as the HPI lightweight upper deck does, but it does have some. RCModel charges $24.00 for that upper deck, while the HPI unit is a whopping $48.00.

I've been taking a close, close look at a larger, more clear pic of the HPI lightweight upper deck.

I think instead of dumping $48 on theirs, I'll simply modify mine. I'll simply resize, print, and trim the pic I have until it works as a guide for where to cut/drill my current upper deck. I've done stuff much harder than that before, so this wont be too much work.

Thats $48 I can spend somewhere else!
Old 07-22-2004, 06:56 PM   #3523
Tech Adept

Darkseid
"I think instead of dumping $48 on theirs, I'll simply modify mine. I'll simply resize, print, and trim the pic I have until it works as a guide for where to cut/drill my current upper deck. I've done stuff much harder than that before, so this wont be too much work.

Thats $48 I can spend somewhere else! "

Thats exactly what I wanted to do> I was waiting till I guy I know with a 2004 was able to loan me his to trace.
Thanks for the picture

Andy
StoneMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 07:24 PM   #3524
Tech Apprentice

how difficult do u think its gonna be to cut the carbon? wat tools do you guys use? any ideas would be great........
crazy_azz_mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 08:30 PM   #3525
Tech Adept

A Dremel would work. Don't use too aggresive a bit. Slow is better and neater. Make sure you were a dust mask.
StoneMan is offline   Reply With Quote