R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-20-2004, 11:47 AM   #3496
Exe
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Exe Send a message via Yahoo to Exe
Default newbie

Hello everyone,

well.. will start from the beginning... i got into rc cars not long ago... a few months ago i purchased rs4 evo 3 for driving on parking lots as we don't have any tracks in my stupid republic of Lithuania... well, after a few hop ups like racing clutch, pipe, air filter... i wanted to go further, cause i see in my eyes the simplicity of rs4 evo3 chasis, simply it is not what i'd like to see, so i though i will buy hop ups etc... but that's too expensive, so, i went for R40...

so i ordered r40, i will have it in probably two weeks with this http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXEDA7 engine... i was reading hundreds of forum posts, reviews, but this engine somehow caught my atention, tell me what you think.. speed? power? for me legal/not legal doesn't matter, cause i live in banana country - lithuania, so... we don't even have a normal race track...

regarding r40.. after reading 80 pages of this thread i'm really shocked... i am really capable of doing things right, i have real hands but now i start thinking how i will build this car... i hope everything will go fine...

i wanted to ask you a few things more... what is the top speed of r40 with stock gears and a good engine? what is the top speed with optional gearing ?

now abot the track.. unfortunately we don't have one, so we will have to preprare a parking lot for r40.. the asphalt there is really good and plain. as you race on different tracks, in what thing they are covered? asphalt? we are planing of building one track here so we could do some races, but we plan to lay sports cover like in stadiums, some kind of rubber. what do you thing? what would you suggest?

Do you all use failsafe device ?

i'm planing to buy 3pk radio with digital 93451 if i remember correctly servos, so i could use HRS receiver that comes with 3pk..

thank you for your time..

Last edited by Exe; 07-20-2004 at 01:13 PM.
Exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 01:07 PM   #3497
Tech Apprentice

WHOA SLOW DOWN THERE COW POKE!! id just like to say welcome to wonderful world of the r40. you have bought a pro racing "tank" that can take BEATINGS!

now to your engine i dont believe that it is race legal for ROAR standards but it is powerful.

the r40 isnt persay a "hard" build but if u have next to none experience it will be challenge. just post your problems and we'll try to help.

top speed varies with engines but i think with that engine u could reach near 60 or above...

tracks that i have been to are all ashvault.

And of course everyone uses a failsafe device but since the 3pk broadcasts on the PCM modulation that radio actually has a built in Failsafe. and u can also program the digital servos to a set failsafe but you need a programmer for that. id just the built in failsafe with the 3pk unless you didnt buy the PCM version.......then you need either a digital servo programmer or a failsafe unit...

Hope this helps
crazy_azz_mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 01:16 PM   #3498
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I think I'm going to be sticking with my R40 for next year(believe me, for me to keep a car for two seasons is a big deal ), so I'm going to start putting on some hop ups for it just for fun. I'll probably bring it 'nearly' up to the 2004 Edition spec.

Only things I'm not interested in getting are the alum. shocks, graphite arms and the front one-way. I'm pretty much open to everything else. Oh, and I already up graded to the graphite towers(f/r) and bearing stearing when I first got the car.

So, wheres the best place to get official HPI hop-ups as well as stuff from the aftermarket people like 3-Racing, Kawahara, and/or anyone else who makes nice hop ups that don't add weight.

I can get the lightweight chassis, light weight shafts, and lightweight 2-speed from my local shop, I would particularly like to know where to buy HPI's lightweight upper deck. I haven't seen them mention it as one of the items availible here in the states or I would just order it from the local hobby shop like the other stuff. That and the lightweight chassis are first on my list.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:26 PM   #3499
Tech Apprentice

theres some things u cant find to easily that are in the 2k4 spec edition i find...if ur looking for hop ups i'd go to rcmart.com, rc-mushroom.com, shopping.rcmodel.hk.com......most of these guys prices are the same and get the foams......they are a steal from these guys
Old 07-20-2004, 05:00 PM   #3500
Tech Fanatic

Thumbs up Just for you Harry!

Big Apple Race Date Added This Coming Sunday 7/25/04!

The Race Site is located @;

Middlesex County College
2600 Woodbridge Avenue
Edison, NJ

Hope to see you guys there!!!

NitroHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 06:23 PM   #3501
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy_azz_mat
theres some things u cant find to easily that are in the 2k4 spec edition i find...if ur looking for hop ups i'd go to rcmart.com, rc-mushroom.com, shopping.rcmodel.hk.com......most of these guys prices are the same and get the foams......they are a steal from these guys
Thanks
Old 07-20-2004, 07:15 PM   #3502
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Darkseid the chassis is only 20g lighter but it is stronger 4mm for $90 from hpi so shop around if you wan't that bad im going for it now because i allready have every thing else, go with the shafts and 2spd first i think you get more for the money at the time shafts i got mine from rcmodel cheap
Old 07-20-2004, 07:33 PM   #3503
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by 20 SMOKE
Darkseid the chassis is only 20g lighter but it is stronger 4mm for $90 from hpi so shop around if you wan't that bad im going for it now because i allready have every thing else, go with the shafts and 2spd first i think you get more for the money at the time shafts i got mine from rcmodel cheap
Well, I plan on getting all of those pretty close to the same time. My local hobbyshop has the lightweight chassis in stock already and its only $60 there, so its not that big a hit as getting it from most places. Besides, I love the way it looks! They also have the lightweight shafts there which I'll pick up at the same time as the chassis. I'll order the lightweight 2-speed while I'm in there. They can match Tower's price no it, but save me the shipping cost.

I'm already clear on what hop ups I want, I just needed the where. And crazy_azz_mat hooked me up with some excellent locations for that. So I'm all set.

Anything that my local shop can't get, I'll get online.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:44 PM   #3504
Tech Elite

I had my 2004 R40 humming on a very slippery asphalt surface with foam tires the other day. You can get this thing to make grip on most surfaces!

I hopefully will be trying the R40 on concrete with rubber tires this weekend. Anybody else run theirs on this surface?
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 07:58 PM   #3505
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid
Well, I plan on getting all of those pretty close to the same time. My local hobbyshop has the lightweight chassis in stock already and its only $60 there, so its not that big a hit as getting it from most places. Besides, I love the way it looks! They also have the lightweight shafts there which I'll pick up at the same time as the chassis. I'll order the lightweight 2-speed while I'm in there. They can match Tower's price no it, but save me the shipping cost.

I'm already clear on what hop ups I want, I just needed the where. And crazy_azz_mat hooked me up with some excellent locations for that. So I'm all set.

Anything that my local shop can't get, I'll get online.
the only thing i dont like about the lightweight 2 speed is that it doesnt use the stock pinions and spurs...and since i have already bought every single one availble its gonna get expensive to do the same with the lightweight one...and if i just buy the lightweight version then im stuck with all these pinions and spurs that i cant use........ c my delema and that 2speed helps with lowering weight alot....

If anyone is interested in a full set of BRAND NEW pinions and spurs i am willing to sell them....

also the lightweight chassis looks wicked awesome....to bad i blew all my cash on the towers, 2speed shafts and hudy setup system.......ahh well....

Darkseid - if u find the lightweight upper deck and lightweight reciever case tell me....ive been lookin for that thing for who knows how long...

AMGRacer - i wouldnt suggest the rubber tires.....only bc HPI discourages the use of rubbers on the chassis bc it was only tested on foams so you may not like what you see.......
Old 07-20-2004, 08:31 PM   #3506
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Solid rear dif any thoughts or comments good bad
Old 07-20-2004, 08:32 PM   #3507
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

Quote:
Originally posted by 20 SMOKE
Solid rear dif any thoughts or comments good bad
Very twitchy. Hard to drive unless you're on a track with mega traction.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 10:05 PM   #3508
Tech Apprentice

ya kind of a pointless upgrade....i wouldnt bother sending the extra cash on it.....
Old 07-21-2004, 07:26 AM   #3509
BF
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
I had my 2004 R40 humming on a very slippery asphalt surface with foam tires the other day. You can get this thing to make grip on most surfaces!

I hopefully will be trying the R40 on concrete with rubber tires this weekend. Anybody else run theirs on this surface?
I'll be at wynnum with mine on Sunday. You'll want sorex 28R early in the morning and 32R later on, but I'll just run 32R all day. Inserts also make a big difference.

I've just rebuit mine and it's pushing badly, I hope to get some track time before Sunday but I doubt work will allow that
BF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:22 AM   #3510
Tech Rookie

Default you have mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewdogg
Anybody know how much the hpi lightweight engine mounts weight?

I just weighed the stock ones and my scale says 8 grams each. Just wondering how much lighter the new mounts are.
you have mail
fastntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote