R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-07-2004, 06:10 PM   #2761
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yeah i dont think gaining 1 second a lap is possible either

and yes i know driving is the main factor

i think by lightening the car i will be able to accelerate faster and transition easier

our track is kinda small and tight

so lets look at it like this trying to get a heavy car to come in fast slow down enough change directions and get up to speed again has gotta be tougher than a lighter car

the lighter car should be easier to slow down change directions with less effort and get back up to speed faster

competiton locally is pretty fierce and i know im not going to lighten the car and go from the bottom of the A right to the top but its gotta make some difference

NCC's car is so light he wont even let us weigh it and its been said his car looks more dailed than any other car now im not saying his car handles better because its lighter what im saying is even severly lightened the car can still handle and is faster

this is racing and lighter is always faster maybe not a night and day difference but definelty a difference

now does anyone have any lightening suggestions other than those that cost alot of money eg. drill the front bulkhead
Old 05-07-2004, 10:06 PM   #2762
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

Some people are just faster than others. You say the other guy's car is lighter and it looks dialed. Looking dialed doesn't mean anything unless you drive like him. Here's an example of what I mean. My friend and I used to practice together a lot. I could always get through the technical sections better than he could. He said "man, your car is hooked up." I said "yeah it's working ok." He asked to drive it and was all over the place. You see, I like my cars to run loose and he likes the complete opposite. You know what they say...loose is fast. Well, in my case it is. I can't drive his car fast and he can't drive mine fast. The point of all this is that you still haven't followed the guy around the track to see where he's faster than you. I know you don't want to believe it but these little cars are so overpowered that losing 100g isn't gonna make up the difference you're looking for. Just from your description of the track you run on, you have to slow down, change directions and be back on the gas. This doesn't sound like a track where weight matters. Actually, it's a benefit to have car that doesn't slow down too much because most people who are "gas-brake-gas" racers brake too hard or too long and actually slow down more than they should. Are you absolutely positive you only slow down the perfect amount?
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 11:47 PM   #2763
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by rod_b
Some people are just faster than others. You say the other guy's car is lighter and it looks dialed. Looking dialed doesn't mean anything unless you drive like him. Here's an example of what I mean. My friend and I used to practice together a lot. I could always get through the technical sections better than he could. He said "man, your car is hooked up." I said "yeah it's working ok." He asked to drive it and was all over the place. You see, I like my cars to run loose and he likes the complete opposite. You know what they say...loose is fast. Well, in my case it is. I can't drive his car fast and he can't drive mine fast. The point of all this is that you still haven't followed the guy around the track to see where he's faster than you. I know you don't want to believe it but these little cars are so overpowered that losing 100g isn't gonna make up the difference you're looking for. Just from your description of the track you run on, you have to slow down, change directions and be back on the gas. This doesn't sound like a track where weight matters. Actually, it's a benefit to have car that doesn't slow down too much because most people who are "gas-brake-gas" racers brake too hard or too long and actually slow down more than they should. Are you absolutely positive you only slow down the perfect amount?
Great response, I totally agree with you here.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 12:32 PM   #2764
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default check it out!

look at my 4 sale post guys... before it hits the big E !
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 12:34 PM   #2765
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by rod_b
You are right on that! The driving style of someone might differs of the driving style of someone else, but it doesn't mean that one will be faster than the other.

I experienced that point not so long ago. I noticed once that when my car was drifting a little (due to wear-out tire), I was doing faster lap. The reason is that I am little bad on steering control and I was always wobbling in the curve exit to put back the car straignt. By drifting, I was able to control the little drift perfectly. So I was faster... I know it sound weird, but it was true in my case. But it doesn't mean that it will be true for someone else.
Frag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 06:08 PM   #2766
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to goldenboy
Default suspension

what kind of suspension are you guys running.... shock oil?.. springs??

i am running 50w all the way around w/ white springs in the back, and blue in the front
goldenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 06:29 PM   #2767
Tech Elite

alright i wont ask again apparently i suck at driving and no matter what i do i will always be too slow

thanks for all the help

got 4th this weekend and apparently i will never get any better might as well go back to offroad so i can win occasionally again

Last edited by PTP Racing; 05-10-2004 at 06:22 AM.
PTP Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 08:18 PM   #2768
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Jason,don't be discouraged..you did a good job...
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 12:06 PM   #2769
Tech Regular

mid-turn on power oversteer.. how can i fix this?
tranced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 02:41 PM   #2770
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by tranced
Harder front sway bar, softer or no rear sway bar, softer rear tires, more rear toe in. Those would be the things to try first.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 07:00 PM   #2771
Tech Addict

Default Z speed Chassis

Has anybody try this one? It looks really nice..like the edges

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...191618341&rd=1
luketob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 08:52 PM   #2772
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to goldenboy

it looks the same as the hpi super chassis
goldenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 09:18 PM   #2773
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by tranced
Depends, here are some scenarios.

You enter a sweeper, everything seems ok. Turn -in was smooth, cornering grip seems to par, you start accelerating coming out of the sweeper and your car goes loose and spins out.

Solution:
Since your car has adequate turn-in response and grip off power it would tend to indicate that your camber, caster, and toe settings are correct. The problem is induced when you start to accelerate. This would tell me that it is a weight induced oversteer. This means that the acceleration momentum is placing to much weight on the outer rear tire causing it to break loose. To solve this I would stiffen the rear suspension or add a rear roll bar.

Or potentially:

You enter a corner and your car turns in really fast grips and sends the tail around immediately.

Solution:
There are again more solutions to this problem but the most obvious one would be that you have to little caster. This is indicated because the car had a very responsive turn in and then went immediately into oversteer. The oversteer is induced because of the limited lean in the chassis with the massive grip given the front because of the lowered caster. Other minor causes could be Brake turning or to much toe out (but this would usually result in immediate push). You can also get a less grippy front tire, Stiffening the front suspension will not help in this case.

Could also be something else. Examples from www.penguinrc.com.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:22 PM   #2774
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by PTP Racing
alright i wont ask again apparently i suck at driving and no matter what i do i will always be too slow

thanks for all the help

got 4th this weekend and apparently i will never get any better might as well go back to offroad so i can win occasionally again
Don't get so offended man. Take it from some experienced on-road guys if you are a second or more off the pace with a good car it is your driving, not your hopup collection. If you want to go nuts and spend on your car, it is your money and your car to do what you like with.

Your first sentence is not correct. It should be:

alright i wont ask again apparently i suck at driving and no matter what i do (appart from practicing like hell) i will always be too slow

At my local track there are a number of guys who are stomping on me every week for some years now. Does not mean that I suck, means that they are better. And frankly if you are not a world champ then there will always be somebody better. If you win all the time at your track, there is somebody better out there.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:34 PM   #2775
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL

Well said AMG.

There are always people that are better than you, and always people that are less experienced than you.
DOMOisCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote