R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-07-2004, 06:01 PM   #2356
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: loose screws

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie Solara
Beside the smaller size....does S9550 up to the STEERING task? I am comparing that servo with the same price S9451, speed are very much the same (0.10 vs 0.11) but torque, S9451 pulling 121 oz/in but S9550 pulling only 83 oz/in...

Just wondering, cause I am all analogue forever, but willing to try digital for steering...
I hear ya. But really how much torque do we NEED? Has anybody actually calculated this? I have not. I used to run long ago 3003 futaba servos and the frotn wheels flapped as I turned when going fast. Not good. I have never noticed my 9451 OR my 9550 doing this. Wheels always point where I ask them too.

Also for digital servos, they are much superior to analogue servos in HOLDING power. Analog is strong while moving, but comparitively weak to hold. Digitial holds much more strongly. Therfore if you are asking your wheels to turn for long times (long sweepers) digital will be superior.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 06:08 PM   #2357
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: loose screws

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
I hear ya. But really how much torque do we NEED? Has anybody actually calculated this? I have not. I used to run long ago 3003 futaba servos and the frotn wheels flapped as I turned when going fast. Not good. I have never noticed my 9451 OR my 9550 doing this. Wheels always point where I ask them too.

Also for digital servos, they are much superior to analogue servos in HOLDING power. Analog is strong while moving, but comparitively weak to hold. Digitial holds much more strongly. Therfore if you are asking your wheels to turn for long times (long sweepers) digital will be superior.
Sorry for jumping in here.
We were having a servo discussion on the 710 thread also.
I asked Josh Cyrul what he used, and this is what he said.

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Cyrul
PSI - I use the new KO servos - 2344 - lots of torque and plenty fast enough for gas racing!!

Last edited by PSI Racing; 04-07-2004 at 06:13 PM.
PSI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 06:13 PM   #2358
Tech Elite

Read here about digital servos:

http://www.rczone.net/modules.php?na...=print&sid=308
Old 04-07-2004, 07:20 PM   #2359
Tech Adept

Default Clutch Problems

Can anyone help me troubleshoot a clutch that slips? I've just built the car and set the clutch bell play to the in between the range that the manual suggested and it still slips very badly.
tcdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 08:53 PM   #2360
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Steering servo tip

After looking at how flimsy the steering servo guard is, I decided to beef it up a little. (Had to, already destroyed one servo). All I did was take some 3/32 piano wire and made a brace that completly lined the inside of the guard. I epoxied that piece in Then I drilled a hole in the side of the guard just ahead of the steering servo. I then bent another piece of wire to go thru the hole and attached that end with a single collar on the outside. The other end of the wire I mounted to the front servo mounting screw on top of the graphite plate using an electrical ring terminal.
I then went racing and of course hit the wall pretty hard. (Not intenionally, of course). Not a bit of damage to the servo or the brace/guard. Just make sure you only use one collar and the hole in the guard has enough clearance to allow the wire to slide thru the guard easily. This provides just enough "give" to it so you do'nt damge anything.
At least this tip works for me.
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 09:00 PM   #2361
Tech Elite

Default Re: Steering servo tip

Quote:
Originally posted by crashnburn
After looking at how flimsy the steering servo guard is, I decided to beef it up a little. (Had to, already destroyed one servo). All I did was take some 3/32 piano wire and made a brace that completly lined the inside of the guard. I epoxied that piece in Then I drilled a hole in the side of the guard just ahead of the steering servo. I then bent another piece of wire to go thru the hole and attached that end with a single collar on the outside. The other end of the wire I mounted to the front servo mounting screw on top of the graphite plate using an electrical ring terminal.
I then went racing and of course hit the wall pretty hard. (Not intenionally, of course). Not a bit of damage to the servo or the brace/guard. Just make sure you only use one collar and the hole in the guard has enough clearance to allow the wire to slide thru the guard easily. This provides just enough "give" to it so you do'nt damge anything.
At least this tip works for me.
Nice tip. I am wondering what sort of crash you get involved in to even go close to damaging the servo? Seems pretty well protected up behind the steering arm.............
Old 04-07-2004, 10:09 PM   #2362
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b
Default Re: Steering servo tip

Quote:
Originally posted by crashnburn
After looking at how flimsy the steering servo guard is, I decided to beef it up a little...
OMG!!! You just added 10g to your car. What were you thinking?!?!?!?!?!!?

Sorry, the weight issue is just laughable so I had to.

Good tip by the way.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:13 PM   #2363
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Steering servo tip

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
Nice tip. I am wondering what sort of crash you get involved in to even go close to damaging the servo? Seems pretty well protected up behind the steering arm.............
AMG,
it usually is not what you hit but who hit you. I broke the ears of of my airtronics 94357 twice from side impact. Airtronics, doesnt have cases available, so repairing them is tedious to locate a case. But now with the 9550, no more worries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You could barely see the servo under the upper deck.

Amg,
also I sent a email to ya!
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 11:22 PM   #2364
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Clutch Problems

Quote:
Originally posted by tcdrvr
Can anyone help me troubleshoot a clutch that slips? I've just built the car and set the clutch bell play to the in between the range that the manual suggested and it still slips very badly.
On page 36 of the manual, take off that 87097 spring that retains the flyweights and use the clutch without it.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 03:08 AM   #2365
Tech Adept

Default Re: Clutch Problems

Quote:
Originally posted by tcdrvr
Or maybe the adjustment nut is too tight. That would keep the shoe from contacting the bell.

I think I would loosen the nut just to see if that helps.
The Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 06:09 AM   #2366
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default 3racing chassis and parts.

Has any one purchased the chassis or any parts from 3racing...What is the quality like in comparison to factory hpi parts...I noticed that their main chassis in about 1/2 the cost of hpi lightweight chassis.

Thanks.

Jamie
J.Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 08:39 AM   #2367
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Thanks for the info about the digital servos.....and I do know that KO does make quality servos (still have my EX-9 and 15 years old EX-1 radio...still work) but parts and repair of KO in state is almost impossible.....so I rather stick with Futaba (their HQ and Repair center are from IL)........yeah, I never know WHAT is the minimum torque # that we need for nitro steering...but as always, MORE is better....thats why I want to know does 85 oz/in is GOOD enough for Nitro Steering...and nothing better then asking for those who are using on their cars, and you guys does answered my question.

Also, for those R40 2004 Spec wanna be (especially me).....I emailed TANI from Champ International RC in Japan, and wondering how much is cost to ship 1 R40 2004 spec from Japan to USA via PAYPAL...he reponded within 4 hours (wow, good service) and here is the break down...

Thank you for our shop use.

1x HPI #30822 R40 2004 version Kit 33100Yen.

* In the Paypal *.
Item total 33100 Yen.
Shipping EMS USA 6100 Yen, (3.5kg).
Paypal charge 2130 Yen.
Package insurance charge 50 Yen.
Total price 41380 Yen.

In English (or US $) that is (from XE.com)...................$390.234

To be honest, this place (Champ RC) is CHEAP, cheaper then those from HK, and they are just follow the sur-charge from PAYPAL and EMS.....33100 for the kits is $312 US, that is exactly like what I expected if this kit is coming to USA (of course, HPI USA disagree).........what killing me is the PAYPAL and EMS.....good $80 US total....but I will garantee to get the R40 by next Wednesday (if I order today Thursday).......

So....who's with me now...? Lets order (10) R40 2004 spec and hope the shipping/paypal cost can be shaved a little....LOL
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 04:38 PM   #2368
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Proteus

They also have the upgrade parts set for about 12000 yen. If you guys are all in a rush then go with them but if you want to save a little money, I can get the kit for $370 shipped. My brother would be the one to make the trip out to Akihabara (which is where Champ RC is located) and pick up a couple. The rate stays good as long as the exchange rate is at 105. He can save on shipping because he will be shipping it priority mail via USPS.

Jeff B
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 05:13 PM   #2369
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

What is 3racings web address
20 SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 05:15 PM   #2370
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Re: 3racing chassis and parts.

Quote:
Originally posted by senna555
Has any one purchased the chassis or any parts from 3racing...What is the quality like in comparison to factory hpi parts...I noticed that their main chassis in about 1/2 the cost of hpi lightweight chassis.

Thanks.

Jamie
I have their chassis and there is nothing wrong with the quality. The countersunk holes are a little deeper than HPI...saves the screw heads better. They claim the chassis is made out of a stronger aluminum, however with more cutouts that they have made, the chassis does have considerable flex to it. I've ordered the right hand aluminum brace to help in that area.....so much for saving weight.
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote