R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-05-2004, 10:13 AM   #2341
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by PTP Racing
.......rookie i understand what your saying but i would still like to try the mugen ones you have them all right? can you measure them for me?
Sorry, I don't have the Mugen clutch, however, I have Centax 1, 2 and 3....which one you want me to measure...? LOL

I am also agree with AMG, the ideal setting.....0.5mm end play is a very GOOD stanard endplay measurement.........however, it is also based upon several reasons...

(1).....The engine performance....when Centax came out back 10 plus years ago, it was designed for big block 21 engine or big block 15..........then when Serpent Impulse released, ppl drop the centax on it and give it a try, however, back then.....1.5HP engine is almost a TEAM SPECIAL engine...and my feeling was, the small block 12 engine does not generated enough RPM/HP to shift the centax...even with the softest adjustment spring inside, thats why Serpent released the typical 2 shoes clutch for the Impulse PRO instead of using the CENTAX 1 on Impulse.

(2)......the clutch shoes material.........unfortunately, R40 is using 4 legs flywheel......ohterwise, you can try the Serpent black clutch or the RED SHOES from ebay.....those are much better material for the centax, I rarely have any slipping on them and each pad last me good 4 - 6 race days........but I believed you guys can try the MUGEN one.......but the CLUTCH SHOE is defintiely one of the item need to change on the R4o clutch

(3).......the stock flyweight....throw those away, and do the Serpent Centax mod.

(4).....try end play from 0.2mm to 0.5mm.............I used 0.2mm on my Serpents (200mm) and use 0.5mm on my 835 because with the 2HP big block 15 7 port engine....the clutch shoe will not stand more then a race if I set the end play for only 0.2mm

(5) more HP/RPM engine, need more end-play. (still, from 0.2mm to 0.7mm for absolute maximum)
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 10:28 AM   #2342
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default 3 Racing parts availability

Does anyone out there know of a good source for 3racing R40 parts and if they have a TI screw kit for the car?

Thanks,
Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 10:36 AM   #2343
Tech Champion

(1) you can try EBAY (Dinball as the seller)

(2) order from DINBALL website.......if you buy more then 1 item for the R40....DINBALL website is a little cheaper in price and shipping....their ebay auction only good when you buy only 1 or 2 items....

(3) when you buy from Dinball website, there is no garantee all the parts are in-stock or not, but they will garantee cash your money immediately....so do it on your own risk.

(4) So far....no Titanium screws set yet beside the HPI JAPAN 2004 spec one....and they are not for sale as a parts nor in USA.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:37 AM   #2344

Quote:
Originally posted by jay272
I tried running the R40 today for the first time, and it reminded my why I got out of nitro years ago. Anyways, I was breaking in my O.S.TR today, and one of my many problems was trying to get the car to move. It seemed like I had use full throttle to get the clutch to engage. Once it did engage, it didn't seem like it was holding too well. Did I do something wrong when I built the car?
I had the same problem when breaking in my Sirio, once I started leaning it, the issue went away. I think the engine just wasn't revving quick enough to move the spring on the clutch.
OB42TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:01 AM   #2345
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b
Default Re: 3 Racing parts availability

Quote:
Originally posted by mtveten
...and if they have a TI screw kit for the car?
Steve at SpeedTech RC has been making Ti screw kits for various cars. I asked him if he could make one for the R40 and he said he would. All he needs is a screw size/count and if more people would be willing to express their interest he would do it. I have his Pro4 screw kit and it's very nice, very complete and very reasonably priced.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 01:13 PM   #2346
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: 3 Racing parts availability

Quote:
Originally posted by rod_b
Steve at SpeedTech RC has been making Ti screw kits for various cars. I asked him if he could make one for the R40 and he said he would. All he needs is a screw size/count and if more people would be willing to express their interest he would do it. I have his Pro4 screw kit and it's very nice, very complete and very reasonably priced.
That is good to know....
Old 04-05-2004, 01:35 PM   #2347
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

rookie solara i was asking you to measure the pivot balls if possible

and im going to look into your suggestions about clutch modifying
Old 04-05-2004, 03:31 PM   #2348
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by PTP Racing
rookie solara i was asking you to measure the pivot balls if possible

and im going to look into your suggestions about clutch modifying
No...never have a mugen....just SERPENT, I know they are different, but Serpent one is as strong as Mugen one, I believed.

Serpent Pivot balls is 808346 - 8.5mm
R40 is 7.9mm.....

So I don't think the Serpent one will work, the ball itself is too big for the R40 hub.

Like I said, one thing must go, even with the Mugen pivot balls, your R40 steering knuckles or your shock will go next....then you have to figure out which parts are more expensive to replace.

Last edited by Rookie Solara; 04-05-2004 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:56 PM   #2349
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default First actual race day...

Well my first actual raceday with the R40 has come and gone. It was something I will say that!

-I spent the first 3/4 of the day chasing an engine gremlin that turned out to be a cut fuel line.

-Then I spent the last 1/4 of the day, undoing all the adjustments I made to my carb while I was unaware of the cut fuel line!

I had a couple of issues with the car that I had to address.

1.) I had my front belt get cut almost half way through. Don't know what did it, but I will give it credit for holding up for the rest of the day. Especially since I didn't have extras with me. The rear belt looks like it was rode hard and put away wet! Both of them seem a little excessively worn (can see reinforcing threads showing) for the number of uses I've put on them. I'll definitely carry extras for now on.

2.)2 speed just wasn't cooperating. First the two large screws that set the shoe-to-bell clearance kept backing out. Same thing used to happen on my ReflexNT. So I put a dab of CA on them to hold them in place. That solve that and got me shifting again, but the 2 speed just seemed to have drag in it at certain spots. I'm going to pull it apart and make sure I got all the burs and that the spurs are securely tightened on.

3.) I tapped the boards head on once. And the brake lever swung forward and got stuck in the braking position where even moving the servo couldn't move it. I solved this by putting a small pinion gear (I didn't have any extra linkage collars with me) between the brake arm and the servo arm. Close enough to keep the linkage from sliding forward like it did before, but not too close so that it won't interfer with the servo arm movement. This fix worked well and will become a permanent change now that I have replaced the pinion with a proper linkage collar.

In between all the fuel line, and other minor first race gremlins, the car ran amazingly well. Well on par handling wise with anything on the track. This was a permanent facility I went to this time, and still didn't see the need for a oneway. The car turns so hard and so sure footed, that I don't really want to change anything.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:37 PM   #2350
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Hey Darkseid i had some of the same after my main had fuel all over then saw a cut on the line, watch the front hubs when taping the walls while turning the hubs pop of the pivot ball and can crack i have gone through 3, also noticed the rear camber adjustment moves also if you tap the wall to hard all in all i had a good weekend didn't break anything
20 SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:54 AM   #2351
Tech Elite

Default Re: First actual race day...

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid
Well my first actual raceday with the R40 has come and gone. It was something I will say that!
3.) I tapped the boards head on once. And the brake lever swung forward and got stuck in the braking position where even moving the servo couldn't move it. I solved this by putting a small pinion gear (I didn't have any extra linkage collars with me) between the brake arm and the servo arm. Close enough to keep the linkage from sliding forward like it did before, but not too close so that it won't interfer with the servo arm movement. This fix worked well and will become a permanent change now that I have replaced the pinion with a proper linkage collar.
Yep I had this one too. Are your screws that hold the left brace loose? That is why it happens i think, these screws come loose and you get some play in the brake cam.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 05:12 AM   #2352
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default loose screws

I had this one too. I used some self tapping 3x25 mm screws, but still have a loosing problem with the frt, even using the alloy brace for the motor. The linkage's stink. I use the good ol fashion bike spoke, with Dubro Collars, and fuel line for the brake spring, and the Trinity G4 return spring, then for the cam, I added a 1.2mm washer after the pad between the screw and the pad, which inturn bring the pad close to the rotor. NO excessive travel which caused your cam to flip. Hope this helps.

OH yeah, AMG,
the S9550 is the SHIZNIT!! I want a second one for the throttle, hehehehehe.
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 05:36 AM   #2353
Tech Elite

Default Re: loose screws

Quote:
Originally posted by Vr6vroom
OH yeah, AMG,
the S9550 is the SHIZNIT!! I want a second one for the throttle, hehehehehe.
Yep they rock huh. I had one on steering and throttle, but i recently swapped my throttle one back to an analogue to get more runtime outta my RX pack.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:35 AM   #2354
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: loose screws

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
Yep they rock huh. I had one on steering and throttle, but i recently swapped my throttle one back to an analogue to get more runtime outta my RX pack.
Beside the smaller size....does S9550 up to the STEERING task? I am comparing that servo with the same price S9451, speed are very much the same (0.10 vs 0.11) but torque, S9451 pulling 121 oz/in but S9550 pulling only 83 oz/in...

Just wondering, cause I am all analogue forever, but willing to try digital for steering...
Old 04-07-2004, 05:47 PM   #2355
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default s9550

The s9550 works perfectly for steering.
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote