R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-03-2004, 02:58 PM   #2311
Tech Apprentice

I tried running the R40 today for the first time, and it reminded my why I got out of nitro years ago. Anyways, I was breaking in my O.S.TR today, and one of my many problems was trying to get the car to move. It seemed like I had use full throttle to get the clutch to engage. Once it did engage, it didn't seem like it was holding too well. Did I do something wrong when I built the car?
jay272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 03:00 PM   #2312
Tech Initiate

maybe your clutch spring is way too tight...make sure your car rolls properly...also make sure you put your centifigual shoes in correctly
revRCshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 05:12 PM   #2313
Tech Apprentice

I loosened the adjustment screw a little, and in the process, I broke that circular spring in the clutch assembly (not the adjustment spring). Can I run the car without it?
Old 04-03-2004, 05:39 PM   #2314
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by jay272
I loosened the adjustment screw a little, and in the process, I broke that circular spring in the clutch assembly (not the adjustment spring). Can I run the car without it?
Oh nevermind...I was misunderstanding your eariler post...

Yes, you don't necessary need that round spring.....however, I would not even use the FLYWEIGHT inside the centax, I will get another black clutch shoes and cut them into 4 pieces and replace them as the flyweight...

That is the latest MOD from all the Serpent Centax user since....the centax came out of the market.

Last edited by Rookie Solara; 04-03-2004 at 10:52 PM.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 06:34 PM   #2315
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default clutch spring

Jay,
I have tried the HPI centax without the spring holding the shoes together, but I was unhappy with the hpi clutch to begin with. i use a Kawahara clutch for the Mtx-3 now, and love it.
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 07:41 PM   #2316
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by jay272
I tried running the R40 today for the first time, and it reminded my why I got out of nitro years ago. Anyways, I was breaking in my O.S.TR today, and one of my many problems was trying to get the car to move. It seemed like I had use full throttle to get the clutch to engage. Once it did engage, it didn't seem like it was holding too well. Did I do something wrong when I built the car?
It's funny you would say that because today was openning day for us and I had major problems with my clutch. It slipped something terrible. Unlike you though, this isn't my first time out with the R40. It ran great at the end of last season.

I got the clutch to work by cleaning the clutch bell and scuffing it up with sandpaper but,,, it's still slips alittle.

I have asked this before but got no response. Is there a standard 2 shoe or 3 shoe clutch that can be used on the R40?

I know some people are using the Kawahara clutch for the Mtx-3 but I don't know if that is a centax or standard clutch?
The Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 07:43 PM   #2317
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sleeper
It's funny you would say that because today was openning day for us and I had major problems with my clutch. It slipped something terrible. Unlike you though, this isn't my first time out with the R40. It ran great at the end of last season.

I got the clutch to work by cleaning the clutch bell and scuffing it up with sandpaper but,,, it's still slips alittle.

I have asked this before but got no response. Is there a standard 2 shoe or 3 shoe clutch that can be used on the R40?

I know some people are using the Kawahara clutch for the Mtx-3 but I don't know if that is a centax or standard clutch?
check the shims !! do you have correct end play?
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 07:51 PM   #2318
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

look at the pins that hold the shoes in place mine were alittle long they scraped the clutch bell,i cut the pins even with the shoes never had a problem since
20 SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 10:49 PM   #2319
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:

Kawahara should be all centax clutch.....

Probably not your best interest, but SERPENT IMPULSE PRO used regular 2 shoes clutch (FINGER TYPE) instead of Centax, the gear mesh are the same as the R40 type gears..............HOWEVER, I suspected the distance between the 1st/2nd gear on the Impulse PRO clutch is a little closer then the gear box on your R40....in that way, once you mount the clutch with the 2-speed...the 2nd gear on the clutch might be slightly touch the 1st gear and 2nd gear....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 11:18 PM   #2320
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for all your help everyone! I have a few more questions for those that have swapped out the HPI clutch for a kawahara MTX3 clutch.........what is the difference between the 2, and how much does the Kaw......... clutch cost?
Old 04-04-2004, 12:22 AM   #2321
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by 20 SMOKE
look at the pins that hold the shoes in place mine were alittle long they scraped the clutch bell,i cut the pins even with the shoes never had a problem since
I've noticed those pins sticking out alittle. I didn't think that was causing my problem but I will cut them anyhow.

Manticore,

My end play should be correct, that was the first thing I checked. Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:24 AM   #2322
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
I've noticed those pins sticking out alittle. I didn't think that was causing my problem but I will cut them anyhow.

Manticore,

My end play should be correct, that was the first thing I checked. Thanks for your reply.
that's good, but besure to round the end of the pin after you cut it to avoid pad blinding !
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 12:27 AM   #2323
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie Solara
Kawahara should be all centax clutch.....

Probably not your best interest, but SERPENT IMPULSE PRO used regular 2 shoes clutch (FINGER TYPE) instead of Centax, the gear mesh are the same as the R40 type gears..............HOWEVER, I suspected the distance between the 1st/2nd gear on the Impulse PRO clutch is a little closer then the gear box on your R40....in that way, once you mount the clutch with the 2-speed...the 2nd gear on the clutch might be slightly touch the 1st gear and 2nd gear....
Beleive it or not, one of my competitors drives a Impulse Pro. I looked at his clutch (3 shoe finger type) and you are right. It looks like the gears would touch each other.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:19 PM   #2324
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

has anyone had a problem bending the pivot balls?

ive got a couple races on my car now and i noticed ive bent 2 or 3 of the front pivot balls

i am wondering if i can swap in mugen pivot balls instead since i know i wont be able to bend them

or if anyone knows where to get the hara titanium ones i might get them

also what can i do to the clutch to get more punch from it i read earlier about someone using mugen pieces in their hpi clutch and i am interested to know how and what was done

so far i like the car alot 2 races and 2 top 5 finishes and that was pretty good considering the competition at yesterdays event the top cars were all r40s and mtx3s unfortunately a mtx3 did win with a r40 in 2nd
Old 04-04-2004, 04:39 PM   #2325
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by PTP Racing
has anyone had a problem bending the pivot balls?

ive got a couple races on my car now and i noticed ive bent 2 or 3 of the front pivot balls

i am wondering if i can swap in mugen pivot balls instead since i know i wont be able to bend them

or if anyone knows where to get the hara titanium ones i might get them

also what can i do to the clutch to get more punch from it i read earlier about someone using mugen pieces in their hpi clutch and i am interested to know how and what was done

so far i like the car alot 2 races and 2 top 5 finishes and that was pretty good considering the competition at yesterdays event the top cars were all r40s and mtx3s unfortunately a mtx3 did win with a r40 in 2nd
Nope never broken any pivotballs yet. However I tend not to crash too often or too hard. Dunno about the Mugen pivot balls you will need to measure them.

Be careful of titanium balls, if you are bending steel ones ensure the Ti balls are a high Ti percentage alloy. Some are very low %age Ti and are no better than alloy balls.

Like I said previous about the clutch the problem with it is the pad material. It is a long life and "mild" pad. If you want more punch from the HPI clutch you can buy a Mugen clutchpad, the grey or red ones, and just lightly ream the holes so they dont bind on the pins.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote