R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-30-2004, 04:59 PM   #2251
Tech Addict

The one thing that makes me mad about HPI is that they don't sponser any drivers. Now there is a rumour that Atsushi Hara is testing for Serpent. I remember years ago they said instead of putting money into sponsering drivers they had the HPI challenge that way more people got to enjoy the money they spent. Now there is no HPI challenge? Are they on the look for drivers? I think for them to be taken seriously and to be equal to Associated and Losi they need some spokesmen for there new cars. And hopefully that would mean better products for us. Sorry for the rant now back to your regularly scheduled posting....
CraigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 05:06 PM   #2252
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I could care less how many drivers they sponsor. I think there are already too many sponsored drivers as is.

And what would happen if they did sponsor more drivers. They still aren't willing to throw money at them like Associated and Losi. So I would guess the same thing that happens to Schumacher would happen to HPI.

...have a nice driver....he does good at a big race....next thing you know, you see the driver sporting a nice new Assoc. or Losi T-shirt...

So why bother? Even if they started having more drivers, how long would they keep them once Assoc. and Losi. start waving the big bucks?
Old 03-30-2004, 05:07 PM   #2253
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigH
The one thing that makes me mad about HPI is that they don't sponser any drivers. Now there is a rumour that Atsushi Hara is testing for Serpent. I remember years ago they said instead of putting money into sponsering drivers they had the HPI challenge that way more people got to enjoy the money they spent. Now there is no HPI challenge? Are they on the look for drivers? I think for them to be taken seriously and to be equal to Associated and Losi they need some spokesmen for there new cars. And hopefully that would mean better products for us. Sorry for the rant now back to your regularly scheduled posting....
The do have a team:

Take a look here for some good info. Need to translate it however.

http://www.hpiracing.co.jp/contents/setup/index.html

I do agree that the US team presence seems to be very small.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 05:07 PM   #2254
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ok i think we get it "some people are upset that hpi usa isnt planning on selling the 2004 spec r40 in the usa" but does it really need to dominate the thread?

i woulda bought 1 if i could but now it doesnt matter anymore ive got a regular r40 and i will have to buy the hop-ups if i want them

ive been able to get some track time now and im starting to get a better feel for the car and i kinda like it ive ditched the kit tires and fiddled with the alignment and it feels pretty good on the track now

soon i will start purchasing some of the hop-ups i wana get anyone know any good places i should look?
Old 03-30-2004, 05:09 PM   #2255
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by PTP Racing
ok i think we get it "some people are upset that hpi usa isnt planning on selling the 2004 spec r40 in the usa"
Old 03-30-2004, 05:09 PM   #2256
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid
I could care less how many drivers they sponsor. I think there are already too many sponsored drivers as is.

And what would happen if they did sponsor more drivers. They still aren't willing to throw money at them like Associated and Losi. So I would guess the same thing that happens to Schumacher would happen to HPI.

...have a nice driver....he does good at a big race....next thing you know, you see the driver sporting a nice new Assoc. or Losi T-shirt...

So why bother? Even if they started having more drivers, how long would they keep them once Assoc. and Losi. start waving the big bucks?
I actually do like the manufacturers to have a team as long as it is reasonable. Why I like it is that the team continues to test and drive the car in top competition and therefore develops the car and then hopefully can publish the information to the lesser beings like me

I think Serpent does an excellent job of this, and HPI Japan also is doing a very good job. Unfortunately HPI USA (again ) is less than sterling here.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:15 PM   #2257
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
I actually do like the manufacturers to have a team as long as it is reasonable. Why I like it is that the team continues to test and drive the car in top competition and therefore develops the car and then hopefully can publish the information to the lesser beings like me

I think Serpent does an excellent job of this, and HPI Japan also is doing a very good job. Unfortunately HPI USA (again ) is less than sterling here.
Agreed. If your making race cars, you should have a good racing team. But DANG, Assoc. and Losi take it too far. I mean at Worlds caliber races, they have 100+ teams in attendance. This is why former race companies like Traxxas simply said "screw it". They figure theres more money to be made making non race kits than there is flying 100+ guys to compete in a Worlds race in Africa somewhere.

Of course I'm bias on this matter. I liked it when there were more than two competitors in off-road. But everyone else feels that they can't compete when they're out number 100 to 1 at big events. And who could blame them.

I think the key word here is "reasonable". And teams like Losi and Associated have taken this sponsored driver thing waaaaayyy past "reasonable".

Son-"look ma, I didn't hit anything for a whole lap"
Mom-"hurry up, hurry up, call Associated or Losi"

Old 03-30-2004, 05:31 PM   #2258
Tech Elite

Quote:
Agreed. If your making race cars, you should have a good racing team. But DANG, Assoc. and Losi take it too far. I mean at Worlds caliber races, they have 100+ teams in attendance. This is why former race companies like Traxxas simply said "screw it". They figure theres more money to be made making non race kits than there is flying 100+ guys to compete in a Worlds race in Africa somewhere.

Of course I'm bias on this matter. I liked it when there were more than two competitors in off-road. But everyone else feels that they can't compete when they're out number 100 to 1 at big events. And who could blame them.

I think the key word here is "reasonable". And teams like Losi and Associated have taken this sponsored driver thing waaaaayyy past "reasonable".

True dat man. The stupid thing is the companies with much smaller teams (Serpent, XRAY even HPI) are actually winning or at least performing very well at the big races. Filling the heats with team drivers does not really seem to be paying off for Asso and Losi at least in on-road.

As for off road who cares?! There really are only two competitive brands in the electric arena anyways. Having a huge team seems just dumb!
Old 03-30-2004, 07:28 PM   #2259
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Okay, I have a good question for you all... I'm flying from Florida to New Hampshire... I want to take my R40 with me, to go to some old stomping grounds, and show them what racing 12 months a year can do... Problem is, can I take the car on the plane, with todays security? Or do I ship it, costing me more money? If I ship it, can I send a quart of fuel with it, without any special type of shipping?

Thanks....
Old 03-30-2004, 07:30 PM   #2260
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer

As for off road who cares?! There really are only two competitive brands in the electric arena anyways. Having a huge team seems just dumb!

Hehehehe, AMG, they have the big teams so they have enough drivers to have a class, bro...
Old 03-30-2004, 10:18 PM   #2261
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to icon
Default Re: Re: 2004 edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie Solara
I sold my brand new 80% finished R40 because of the 2004, thats why I was Bxxtching about HPI USA...of course, if I brought the R40 a year ago when it first came out, I would not worry about the 04 cause my R40 will be exactly like yours and others.....just waiting the 0.8 pitch 2 speed to complete the whole deal....
did you just recently sell it on ebay?
icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 11:35 PM   #2262
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:

That is just DAMN funny
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 11:46 PM   #2263
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jscamry Send a message via MSN to jscamry Send a message via Yahoo to jscamry Send a message via Skype™ to jscamry

Quote:

[/B]
LMAO---darkseid
jscamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 02:20 AM   #2264
Tech Apprentice

i'm selling my R40

CLICK HERE

nero1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 06:54 AM   #2265
Tech Apprentice

Dropped the motor in the car last night.

I had read that people were having trouble getting motors in and out of this car, but never realized it would be this tight. I ended up cutting a little bit of one corner off the mounting tab of the motor so it wouldn't hit the rear bulkhead on the exhaust side.

Of course, I had to turn the carb to clear the fuel tank, but that makes the idle speed screw really hard to get to and the slide boot nearly touches the clip holding the tank down.

To top it off, the exhaust is right on the mid belt. I adjusted the tensioner, but in order to keep the belt off the header the belt is too tight.

I have an STS D3 and am wondering if this particular motor is designed to sit slightly lower than other .12s. I will probably make a spacer to raise it 3/32" (2.4mm) to give me a little more clearance on both the exhaust and carb.

Anyone else dealing with this?

J
burger is offline   Reply With Quote