R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-17-2004, 03:58 PM   #2041
Tech Apprentice

Thank you AMGRacer.

What is a good starting point for the diff oil? Better yet, since I run on a med. sized track that is blown off and soda applied to the surface for traction, what is a good set-up? The sweepers and the straight altogether are about 80-90 feet long and the infield is real technical. Thanks again.
rc_king1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 04:11 PM   #2042
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by rc_king1
Thank you AMGRacer.

What is a good starting point for the diff oil? Better yet, since I run on a med. sized track that is blown off and soda applied to the surface for traction, what is a good set-up? The sweepers and the straight altogether are about 80-90 feet long and the infield is real technical. Thanks again.
Hmmmm does not sound like a track I have run at before so I would only be guessing.

The stock setup is seriously VERY good. If you are running a oneway I would use either 50K rear diff with 2 gears or 30K rear diff with 4 gears as it sounds like the grip is high. If you are running the oneway you need to at least use lighter shock oil in the rear, I am using 50wt.

Other than that get the right tires for the track and use a high quality body (I like the protoforms 2.1 Stratus and 2.1 Alfa) and you will be 98% of the way there. I am not kidding.

I ran my R40 bone stock except for the above changes, graphite tower and light shafts at my local track with the 40/40 tires and a 300M body on its maiden voyage and it had plenty of car speed, I was on the lead lap. The only thing holding me back right now is a lack of motor speed and driving skill
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 04:50 PM   #2043
Tech Apprentice

Thanks again AMGRacer
rc_king1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 06:41 PM   #2044
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Hey AMG you need to change your name to the R40 car god your post are extremely helpfull allways a good thing
20 SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 07:09 PM   #2045
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by 20 SMOKE
Hey AMG you need to change your name to the R40 car god your post are extremely helpfull allways a good thing
Not likely I am just an average racer like the rest of you all who can only claim to be "somewhat fast" after 2 1/2 years of racing.

Another thing I discovered with my R40. The two M3 x 20 flat head screws which go through the brake brace do not thread into the upper bulkhead at all, only into the lower bulkhead. There is only around 3-4mm tops of screw biting into the lower bulkhead and mine were coming lose quite regularly after a heat. Put M3 x 25 screws in their place and problem is solved. I don't know if anybody else has found this issue?
Old 03-17-2004, 07:19 PM   #2046
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

I had the same thing with mine i thought it was striped out was going to change it but i won't know. i also had the front hubs pop of the pivot ball i'm 3 for 3 breaking them they have a small crack that you cant see until you tighten back down so keep your eyes open for it.
20 SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 07:36 PM   #2047
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by 20 SMOKE
I had the same thing with mine i thought it was striped out was going to change it but i won't know. i also had the front hubs pop of the pivot ball i'm 3 for 3 breaking them they have a small crack that you cant see until you tighten back down so keep your eyes open for it.
Yeah I have not popped any hubs yet, but I will inspect mine. I was also going to replace the lower bulkhead, but I am sure that this will not fix the problem for long. The screws just are really too short.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:29 PM   #2048
rjl
Tech Fanatic

Is AMG running the NSW titles?
rjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 08:30 PM   #2049
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by rjl
Is AMG running the NSW titles?
Not very likely that I will run this one, way outta my league and a long drive. But I will certainly be running the QLD titles.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:56 PM   #2050
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine
Default pushy

Quote:
Originally posted by PTP Racing
can you post a link to the hara set-up my car pushes real bad

im using

kit tires (going to try 37 front and rear)
front one-way
rear diff with 30k mugen oil
60wt oil
kit springs
shocks layed down
front swaybar flat (softest)
3 degrees rear toe in (going to try 2)
.5 degree front toe out
2 neg camber
all arms spaced acording to the manual

any suggestions?

Hey first off get rid of the 60wt. oil, go to 35wt. all around.
next go to 1.25 rear toe each side, go to 0 deg. toe on the front you probobly have enough ackerman in the car allready.
Now if your car still does`nt rotate elevate the outer rear camber link about 2mm. this will absolutly help the car turn under all surcomstances, if you need more try more it is a very good tuning aid, it changes the camber gain in the corner under compression. Also stiffen the rear swaybar!

Good luck............Paul Rush
Old 03-17-2004, 11:22 PM   #2051
Tech Rookie

Default hi amg

hi amg,
have you run at england park in the day time and when are you raceing there again. so i am not the only one there with a r40 sorry i was,t there last time but i just got back from the vic 1/5th scale champs . but will be keen in two weeks so hopefuly we can catch up .
cheers
ozysnake
ozysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 12:38 AM   #2052
Tech Elite

Default Re: hi amg

Quote:
Originally posted by ozysnake
hi amg,
have you run at england park in the day time and when are you raceing there again. so i am not the only one there with a r40 sorry i was,t there last time but i just got back from the vic 1/5th scale champs . but will be keen in two weeks so hopefuly we can catch up .
cheers
ozysnake
I only ran in the night so far. I will be back on the next tourer night.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:43 AM   #2053
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default Setup

First RC King,
A lighter diff oil is going to make the differentials rotate faster, thus in turn making the car react faster to any input. There is a point of too light though, that is were some good old fashion track testing helps. Alot of things go into the soup for the right setup. Such as TEMPERATURE, tire size and shore and company, chassis setup, body, gearing, and so fourth. We can only post what is right for our track at that given day, because tommorrow it may bring a whole other type of conditions. But we will try and help with the best of our ability.

Amg never heard back for the Ti pivot balls, where did you order them from.?? I too, ordered the Gpm pieces, Pins, Rotor, Brake mount.
Last,
I too have experieced the motor brace bolt holes being stripped. So I guess we need some screws huh? Also the HPI or 3 Racing brace is a much need support! There is a lot of flex from my point of view right at that spot.
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 06:29 AM   #2054
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

where do you guys buy the rear blade sway bar and the 4 gear diff? right now i have a graphite front/rear shock tower, titanium front/middle shaft. what else do i need to make it lighter?
rowveg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 08:03 AM   #2055
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

usually in the past ive run 40f and 40r tires but with the weather being colder now i was going to try 37

i dont have the tires yet but ive got some speedmind 42f and 40r im going to try (the 42f feels softer than the kit front and obviously the 40r is stiffer than the kit tires)

how come some of you are running such light shock oil?

our local track is a permanent track with high grip about 120x50

as soon as i can get more track time i will try some of the suggestions thanks