R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-15-2004, 03:37 PM   #1981
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by JLock
To give my view of why their seems to be a rift between Serpent and HPI seems to stem from the 2003 ROAR nationals. Many in the Serpent camp did not like the fact the Hara was not an American citizen (even though he met the qualifications on residency to race the race from what I was told) and that HPI, an inferior product to theirs in their mind, won on it first time out at a major event. Many in the Serpent camp feels that their product is superior to everyone else's and ROAR has usually modified their rules to accomodate Serpent, Inc (being sarcastic). Many from my area when to the race as spectators (and close friends to Ralph Burch) and cried about how Ralph and Serpent got ripped off from a win (these guys are also on the Serpent bandwagon). But, these guys did not complain about Baker's second place showing behind Hara (seems to have no problems with Associated). Many of the Serpent owners here cannot believe that I compete, and beat on occasions, with such an inferior product as an HPI car (heck, I did the same with my Racer 2). But, until the Serpent camp gets over the fact that HPI is not an inferior product to theirs, this will always be an issue.
I have to disagree with you on that.
I was personally at the ROAR Nationals, and I can say that Ralph wasn't in contention in that race.
He kept flipping his car.
So I don't see why people would say that Ralph got ripped off from a win.
Hara ran a near perfect race.
He deserved that win.
Don't take the blame out on the whole Serpent camp.
If you check out the 710 thread, you'll see that no one is even saying anything about the R40.
So the beef really isn't on the Serpent side.
They're just going about their business.
Of course there might be those one or two people that come over here talking trash, but take it out on them, not on all Serpent drivers.
PSI Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 03:42 PM   #1982
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I was just relaying to you what many of the guys that attended from here said. I took it with many grains of salt due to they are all Ralph Burch's friends and are very biased toward Serpent. I was not there and don't know what really happened. From what I read both online and in the mags, I feel that Hara deserved the win also. I was just trying to shed a sliver of light on how things like this get started. Some pick up on things like that or what they overheard and run with it.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 03:43 PM   #1983
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by Jea3
What's a good "Big track" motor for the R40? I was looking at the Novarossi NS12S3A1
That is some crazy story....from RB Rody Motor dropped down to a stock TR engine..? And still making A....? You must be a good racer.....but at least you are honest......looking at the FTR pictures, I don't believe OS TR is what ppl wanted there and I don't think that motor can handle a long straight like that, it will keep pushing that motor to run in high RPM at all time and thats why you are hitting 280 constantly....you need some serious 3 port TURBO plug engine....

NS12 is a good choice...also, Nova Mega SS 3 port or RB V12, but then, if money is no object, there are those $300 plus NovaMAX or JP Mod motor for you run........but I am sure NS12 or NM SS or the RB V12 are good stock motors for MID-LARGE track....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 03:50 PM   #1984
Tech Elite

Personally, it does not matter to me who likes what as far as the car brands are concerned. I have owned Serpent, Mugen, HPI, STS/Maddog, Tamiya, and Associated and have found good points and bad points in all of the cars. I haven't owned Kyosho or Trinity, so, I don't have any opinions on them but have heard the good and bad on them also. I have had my successes locally on the HPI and Mugen and that is what I am sticking with for the time being. I have nothing against the owners of the other cars but do not like the fact that some of them feel like missionaries and have to come to the thread to "convert" you to their brand by pointing out all the negatives about my choice of car. My main beef is that if Marcos.S710 has nothing constructive to give the car an edge over the others or fix a flaw that was found/discovered, he can go elsewhere or keep it to himself.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:54 PM   #1985
Tech Elite

Yes, the OS 12TR is a good medium track motor. It was designed more for local club racing and not the big track (over 150ft straights). A very good racer in my area had one at our regional in his NTC3 and I would catch and smoke him down the backstretch with my modified MT12 every lap. Once he dumped the OS for a Nova motor, he smoked me royally. But, congrats on getting an OS 12TR motor to the A-main on a big track. You need to bronze that motor.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:56 PM   #1986
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks all. First off, I am running 30% nitro, and have a .2 shim in the OS. My gears are, 17T (red) first gear and a 47T spur, and a 21T (green) for second gear with a 43T spur. That's the most gearing I see on the HPI charts.

The TR compared to a NS? You are kidding right? My best time with the TR was a 19.2 compared to my team m8's 18.6?

If it wasn't for the great handling the car did, I would have packed it up on Sat and called it quit's when I blew the Rody.

The car still needs some tunning. I'll get it right for the points series.

Thanks AMG, for your advise.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:58 PM   #1987
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
To give my view of why their seems to be a rift between Serpent and HPI seems to stem from the 2003 ROAR nationals. Many in the Serpent camp did not like the fact the Hara was not an American citizen (even though he met the qualifications on residency to race the race from what I was told) and that HPI, an inferior product to theirs in their mind, won on it first time out at a major event. Many in the Serpent camp feels that their product is superior to everyone else's and ROAR has usually modified their rules to accomodate Serpent, Inc (being sarcastic). Many from my area when to the race as spectators (and close friends to Ralph Burch) and cried about how Ralph and Serpent got ripped off from a win (these guys are also on the Serpent bandwagon). But, these guys did not complain about Baker's second place showing behind Hara (seems to have no problems with Associated). Many of the Serpent owners here cannot believe that I compete, and beat on occasions, with such an inferior product as an HPI car (heck, I did the same with my Racer 2). But, until the Serpent camp gets over the fact that HPI is not an inferior product to theirs, this will always be an issue.
JLock: theres one thing about what you said...

I don't know if it is your intention or not, but your post makes it seem as though all of this mud slinging is only coming from the Serpent camp.

Thing is, almost every time this crap dies down, some one here WITH AN R40 starts it back up by taking shots at Serpent. So I don't know who started all this stuff, but some of the people here are certainly doing their part to keep it going.

I just wish they all would quit.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:01 PM   #1988
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
I was just relaying to you what many of the guys that attended from here said. I took it with many grains of salt due to they are all Ralph Burch's friends and are very biased toward Serpent. I was not there and don't know what really happened. From what I read both online and in the mags, I feel that Hara deserved the win also. I was just trying to shed a sliver of light on how things like this get started. Some pick up on things like that or what they overheard and run with it.
I think Hara only flipped his car twice during the whole race.
He was on rails.
Burch was driving a 705, so I don't see why people are trying to use that race as a reason to argue between the R40 and 710.
I think this whole beef stems with people saying the R40 is inferior.
Just like ChrisBlack310 said, "All the touring cars that are out are top notch."
I don't see why anyone would think the R40 would be inferior.
People are having success with both cars on all different race levels.
So obviously both cars are good.
I personally drive a 710.
My cousin has an R40.
I've had a chance to drive both cars, so I know that they're both good cars.
PSI Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 04:04 PM   #1989
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Set up

just wondering what evey one is runing, stock springs, rear sway, caster if any one changed it ect , or stock out of the box
20 SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 04:04 PM   #1990
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kreidel

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie Solara
That is some crazy story....from RB Rody Motor dropped down to a stock TR engine..? And still making A....? You must be a good racer.....but at least you are honest......looking at the FTR pictures, I don't believe OS TR is what ppl wanted there and I don't think that motor can handle a long straight like that, it will keep pushing that motor to run in high RPM at all time and thats why you are hitting 280 constantly....you need some serious 3 port TURBO plug engine....
Crazy or not he is telling the truth and the Rody crank snapped, and he did run home and purchased a OS TR. But yes that TR looked as if he was going backwards down the 280 foot straighaway against the other cars. The only saving grace for Jea3 was that it was a 30 minute main and the war of attrition took it's toll on the other cars. So he was no where near what the other lap times were but he plugged away for the full 30 minutes. I don't remember the final position but he drove great and his R40 was hooked up and had the best pit man alive(me).
kreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 04:05 PM   #1991
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Jea3
Thanks all. First off, I am running 30% nitro, and have a .2 shim in the OS. My gears are, 17T (red) first gear and a 47T spur, and a 21T (green) for second gear with a 43T spur. That's the most gearing I see on the HPI charts.

The TR compared to a NS? You are kidding right? My best time with the TR was a 19.2 compared to my team m8's 18.6?

If it wasn't for the great handling the car did, I would have packed it up on Sat and called it quit's when I blew the Rody.

The car still needs some tunning. I'll get it right for the points series.

Thanks AMG, for your advise.
Yeah thats the maximum gearing. With smaller than 60mm tires you still were probably screaming its head off. Is that .2mm more than stock or just .2mm overall? Also if you are keen raise the exhaust port top edge around .3mm (you need to measure your motor thats about what a really old TR of mine was raised) to 4.5mm exhaust height. This will raise your RPM ceiling some but cost you some torque and fuel economy.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 04:11 PM   #1992
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid
JLock: theres one thing about what you said...

I don't know if it is your intention or not, but your post makes it seem as though all of this mud slinging is only coming from the Serpent camp.

Thing is, almost every time this crap dies down, some one here WITH AN R40 starts it back up by taking shots at Serpent. So I don't know who started all this stuff, but some of the people here are certainly doing their part to keep it going.

I just wish they all would quit.
I agree with you.
I wish this would all quit.
I drive a 710.
It's not like were getting paid by the car companies.
So why do we need to argue about which car is better.
We're here to get and give good advice.
In the words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"
ChrisBlack310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 04:11 PM   #1993
Tech Addict

You know what? I don't care which is better. I just want HPI to get the 2004 out.
CraigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 04:18 PM   #1994
Tech Elite

Darkseid and PSI Racer,

I am not trying to start any brand bashing or mudslinging, just trying to shed a little light on how this possibly got started (especially in my neck of the woods). I enjoyed my Serpent when I had it but when I wanted to try another vehicle and like it more than the previous one, I moved on. I like my R40 (finished 9th in the A-main at HPI Worlds; would have done better without the stupid mistakes) and race it along side my MTX2 and MTX3. My R40 has the same setup as both my Mugens and is comparable to them also. Many local racers have to ask me what car did I run after every heat on raceday due to all three performing the same and not knowing which one I ran each heat. HPI got it right this time along with the Pro 4. Now, if we could get them to do a better 1/8 scale on-roader and convert the super nitro to a true 235mm car, but that is wishful thinking.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:21 PM   #1995
Tech Elite

Thanks ChrisBlack310, you hit the nail on the head. We are just club racers, not sponsered guys like Ralph Burch and Josh Cyrul getting paid for this. I have been arguing that in the Dallas area for months. Once we get sponsored and paid by these companies like those guys, then we may be "brand blinded". Until then, "run what you brung" and lets have fun doing it.