R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-12-2004, 08:46 AM   #1936
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well fellas, I have to pipe in on the servo thing. I have used all the brands of servos on the market except KO. I have had good experiences with all of them. Like many mechanical/electronic gadgets, they will fail over time; sometimes quicker than you want. I have had Futaba, Airtronics, JR, Profi, and Hitec servos fail on me in one shape, form, or fashion. I had a $80 hi-speed Airtronics servo fail after 5 racedays on a car (no hard hits or contamination due to fuel, etc). Did I bash Airtronics, no. I still use Airtronics servos to this day. I currently use Hitec 525 servos for steering and most of my on-road cars with no problems at all. On one car, I replace the Airtronics servo with another one and have not had a failure yet. The main thing is run what you feel most comfortable with. You can voice your displeasure about a product without the saying "It sucks" or "It's crap".
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 09:32 AM   #1937
Tech Elite

Default Hitec Servos

Guys;

I've owned about 5 of the 600 series servos. I originally bought the Digital versions (5625/5645) first and after about 3 months of useage they started failing. To replace them I tried the Analog versions of the same servo (625/645) and again rapid failures.

The worst thing about it, as my luck would have it. They ALWAYS seem to fail at the start of a heat/main when everything else is going great that day.

I must add that everything else I've have owned from Hitec has been great.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 09:37 AM   #1938
Tech Addict

I used Hitecs in my 1/8 scale buggy. They never failed completely,just lost the ability to center. I also had jr servos for a while. They last one year before failing. Now my Airtronics servos are 4years old and so going strong. I don't believe it matters what brand but I am sticking with Airtronics. I noticed a lot of 1/8 scale guys use Airtronics.
CraigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 11:28 AM   #1939
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey Popsracer...hows it goin'. I've only owned one, and that one tracked as straight as a drunken sailor on shore leave! But that Lynx 3D of mine has been rock solid!

Anyway...back to R40 stuff....

You guys had any long term developement issues with your cars yet. Anything breaking simply because of wear and tear?

Only thing I'm really concerned about is those servo mounts. How are they holding up? Any breakage there?

Believe it or not, here in the mid-west we're JUST NOW getting weather that would allow most of us to stick our heads out and even practice! I've had my frickin' car since Dec. and still haven't gotten to run it! Then, just when I thought I would get it out this weekend, TowerHobbies messed up me and my buddies' fuel shipment!
Old 03-12-2004, 02:19 PM   #1940
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

It is like 30 degrees here in CHICAGO, and we had some light snow last night...........and my wait of the R40 04 Spec is still in progress.......still no engine firing or anything close to that.

P.S. I remembered 4 years ago I raced the first 2.4 hour endurence race on 37 degree temperature.......used 25 shore foams....yes, soft, super soft 25 shores.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 05:53 PM   #1941
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default long term wear

Darkseid,
I have been running my R40 for a month every week now, sometimes twice a week. I have noticed a problem with the usual. Knuckles, knuckles, knuckles. I keep having the balls pop through the knuckles. I have also experieced a stripped rear layshaft gear and belt, probably from braking, and a MAJOR problem with the universals, the pins rubbing with the inner raced of the large wheels bearing, in turn getting the bearing stuck, eventually the bearing overheats and seizes or explodes.
I am tryin to find a good big bumper, any ideas?, and I have tightened my rear belt one notch from the manual and havent had a problem yet. As for the uni's I have replaced mine with 3 Racing ones, they are machined, and the pin is held in with a set screw, and replaced all the large bearings with Boca Bearing green seals. So far no other problems.
Last thing I changed which was a preference thing more that a neccessity, was the Centax. I run a clutch like the Serpent mad by Kawahara for the V one r, it is awesome( get those from Ace's @ 203-330-1788). I like my car alot, but still trying to work out the wrinkles. We have 3 car on the team, and tryin many different things, so we are covering alot of bases. Hopefully this helps. Ask more, and will tell.
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:43 PM   #1942
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid
You guys had any long term developement issues with your cars yet. Anything breaking simply because of wear and tear?

Only thing I'm really concerned about is those servo mounts. How are they holding up? Any breakage there?
I have run my car a fair bit now, probably 4 race meets and plenty of practice. It is still fine, no problems whatsoever, no breakages to report. The only thing I am noticing is that some of the screwholes are starting to get loose from repeated maintenance. Mostly the rear end gearbox area.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:56 PM   #1943
Regional Moderator

Vr6vroom & AMGRacer: thanks for the replies. Thats great info to know. It basically sounds like the R40 is....pretty much just like any other car out there!

Thats the type of stuff I expected to hear. If I had heard, "oh, no problem, the car is still just like new and hasn't had any problems at all" then I would have been a little suspicious!

If I have anymore questions, I'll be sure to ask. Hopefully, Tower will get the correct fuel out to me soon and I can start adding some constructive input to the thread.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:56 AM   #1944
Tech Adept

HEhehe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r40.jpg (14.3 KB, 175 views)
Antonio Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 01:21 PM   #1945
Regional Moderator

Well thats sure to settle down the fighting between the R40 and Serpent guys!
Old 03-13-2004, 05:52 PM   #1946
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

why's the disguise on the 710?....oh,I get it......looks like a wolf..Heart of a lamb....that lamb better not knock into the corral wall.....those legs(uh,I mean pivotballs and arms) look a bit fragile......

once again proving,you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear......
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 04:34 AM   #1947
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nrctc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Nrctc3

To answer some of you guy's questions, i haven't had any long term breakage. The only part I've broken was a dogbone & the little ball that the roll bar connectos to. That's because I decided to clip an inside barrier doing about 50mph! I also have a tip for you guys about the side belt tensioner if you run more overdrive in the front. Instead of using the belt tensioner in the required spot put it in the screw hole of the side brace. It'll give you enough tension to use that 21t pulley up front! So far I love the car, I wish I had gotten it earlier. As soon as I raced it I was 3 laps faster with it than with my NTC3. Also, if you're looking for more top-end. Put a Mugen 22t pinion on it, yes it fits.
Nrctc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 04:25 PM   #1948
Tech Elite

what kind of bodies are you guys running?

i mounted a new mazda 6 body today and the rear mount is under the rear wing

i was looking for a stratus 2.1 but couldnt find 1

has anyone used the rdlogic stratus body? if it fits well i am probably going to run that

anyone know what body hara ran when he won the nats?

i cant wait to get this thjing on the track i wish it would warm up a little here
Old 03-14-2004, 04:30 PM   #1949
Tech Elite

oh and getting those wires installed correctly was nearly impossible i finally wrapped the wires in electrical tape making them into a harness and that way i was able to get them where i wanted

also does anyone know what shore the kit tires are? my guess is a 42 front and a 37 rear seems like an odd combination

i installed the lightened 2 speed shaft and midshaft and one way hopefully that will help the heavy drivetrain also switched to 30k mugen rear diff fluid
Old 03-14-2004, 05:34 PM   #1950
Tech Rookie

if i remember right the front tires are 40 and the rear are 37

nitro13,
nitro13 is offline   Reply With Quote