R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-06-2004, 08:18 AM   #1861
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by icon
dont get me wrong, we need local hobbyshops to support this hobby. they make excellent places for meets, shooting the bull, etc and of course racing if they have an adequate track. but when owners are too lazy to stock parts or try to rape our wallets with insane prices, then it just turns ugly and no one wins.
My point exactly...

LiLRobby: don't tell me to chill out. I was just messing around. But everything I said was true and had a point to it. You can call it 'bad management' if you want, but there seems to be a lot of 'bad management' in a lot of lhs around the country. So why should people waste time, gas money and effort to support them when they can make a call or hop on the internet and have the stuff at their front door in 1-2 days??? Thats all I'm saying...

hey, just remember, you started this little discussion with your sarcastic comments about "yes, you might actually have to visit and support your lhs, that would be just terrible"

You don't want people to comeback with counter points, then try laying off the sarcastic remarks....just a thought.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:33 PM   #1862
Tech Apprentice

wouldn't it be nice if hobby shops decided to support their local racers? Ultimate hobbies has R40's for 259$ & free shipping, while my local HS has them for 310 plus taxes, which brings the total to about $340? What, oh what should I do??

Last edited by jay272; 03-06-2004 at 04:00 PM.
jay272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 02:04 PM   #1863
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jay272
wouldn't it be nice if hobby shops decided to support there local racers? Ultimate hobbies has R40's for 259$ & free shipping, while my local HS has them for 310 plus taxes, which brings the total to about $340? What's, oh what should I do??
I had the the same situation when I bought my R40 from R/C Car Kings. $259 there or $320+ at the local shops...

Thats why I say I buy what I can, or whats convienent at the local shops. Bodies, spares, foams, gears, etc... all from the local shop. Just not the kits...
Old 03-06-2004, 03:59 PM   #1864
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

does anyone know where this kit is manufactured?
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 09:40 PM   #1865
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to LILROBBY

i like having these type of discussions it gets a lot out into the open.all i am saying is try to give your lhs the first shot to match the lowest price that you have found, if they cant or wont then by all means get it the cheapes that you can. i have been a racer for 12 years and lhs co-owner for the last 7.5 years. trust me when i say that most of these owners do not make a big profit margin. my .02 have a nice day!!!!!!!

Associated T4
Associated Rc8 electric?
Associated TC5
LILROBBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:00 PM   #1866
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by LILROBBY
i like having these type of discussions it gets a lot out into the open.all i am saying is try to give your lhs the first shot to match the lowest price that you have found, if they cant or wont then by all means get it the cheapes that you can. i have been a racer for 12 years and lhs co-owner for the last 7.5 years. trust me when i say that most of these owners do not make a big profit margin. my .02 have a nice day!!!!!!!
I get what your saying. Actually, since I am one of the race directors for our local track, I've been asked to work with one of my local shops in helping them decide what to stock and letting them know what most racers are looking to pay for certain items. I usually keep my comments only about the parts, since it just doesn't seem possible to get those kit prices down at the lhs.

Thankfully, the lhs manages to keep parts and tire cost to pretty much the same level as the online places.

And best of all, thanks to a few suggestions, they are now very well stocked on R40 parts!
Old 03-06-2004, 10:11 PM   #1867
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally posted by B
does anyone know where this kit is manufactured?

If I remember correctly,it is a japanese kit...I'll check Mon..
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 11:36 PM   #1868
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to icon

shops can keep the margin of the kits down, but a lot refuses to because they cant grasp the concept of making profit from accessories that is needed for the cars. this is not BS, its how some business works.

for example a while back a friend of mine who works at an electronic boutique sells playstation 2. at the time the retail was around 300usd. so guess what the cost of the PS2 was? 300usd! so why on earth are game shops still in business and booming? cuz the markup on the games themselves is huge.

granted, great planes and horizon hobby is horrible when it comes to undercutting hobbyshop prices, etc. but honestly this hobby would be out of reach for most people (myself included) if they charged full retail for everything.

there isnt a huge profit margin, but i dont see many shop owners needing to go on food stamps.

Last edited by icon; 03-07-2004 at 01:17 AM.
icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 09:39 AM   #1869
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid
.......I spent insane amounts of money in my local HobbyTownUSA, ...........
I feel your pain, but you had to pick the most expensive LHS to support, that I cannot help you.

My LHS (really local, 2 minutes away from my house) does carry things like SERPENT, Kyosho and mugen, and yes, their price is NO WHERE hear the online price, however, I am not sure about other LHS, the LHS I usually go to.....you NAME YOUR PRICE, just like buying a car...........R40 said it is $300, but when I said I saw Tower selling for $280.....he will beat them by $5 and selling for $275....yes, ONLINE places selling the R40 for $260 plus $8 shipping...still, good $10 cheaper then local, but my believe is, there are still business, they have overhead and stuff to pay, ppl work there need to get pay too.....

I might not buy a brand new kit from the LHS, but I do buy a lot of parts and tires from LHS, because overall, there are very much break even compare to ONLINE price....

What I am saying is.......you don't need to support your LHS, but I still think there is still reason why you need one around your neighbourhood.........and the most important is, not all LHS cannot beat online price, you just have to find one.....but 1 thing for sure, HOBBYTOWN USA is NOT the one that you should invest your time and trying to bargain with. They are for those rich daddy and mommy that can buy a $500 Savage RTR to his 10 years old within 5 minutes and 10 miles distance.....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 09:49 AM   #1870
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by LILROBBY
Tell me about it..........I've been doing parts support at our local track and some online business for RC cars and stuff.....

IF I HAVE TO SELL RC STUFF for living and support my family.......I will ended up living underneath some highway bridge and my kids will eat only 1 chesseburger per day..........

I can tell you this..........if Utimate/RC car kings selling their R40 for $259 with FREE Shipping ($3-5 shipping each within USA since they have coperate account discount) their PROFIT is less then $20 (thats all I can tell you).....of course, they might buy 100 R40 and their cost will be a little less....but imagine, $20 profit (BEFORE their overhead like sever, DSL, this and that....etc) on each R40....how many R40 they have to sell per month in order for them to cont. their business.....?

You guys can do the math......

So many times, I have customer nick pick $1 or even 50 cents cheaper on some $5 parts.....one day, I will show them MY COST and my children's picture and tell them......"Would you let me make at least $1 profit so I can support my own kids...?"

Don't quit your day job......RC business is NOT a easy business...especially after the publication of something called "INTERNET"......................only place I find RC business it somehow BRIGHTER then other places are JAPAN and HONG KONG....
Old 03-07-2004, 09:54 AM   #1871
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by icon
for example a while back a friend of mine who works at an electronic boutique sells playstation 2. at the time the retail was around 300usd. so guess what the cost of the PS2 was? 300usd! so why on earth are game shops still in business and booming? cuz the markup on the games themselves is huge.
Same concept on CELL PHONE now a day....diginal camera or MP3 built-in.......FREE and with $50 CASH rebate.........each phone can cost as high as $300 each....

They are not stupid...........the monthy fee of the phone are profitable enough that they can make their cell phone cost back to their account in less then 6 months.......not to mention, you have to sign a 2 years contract......
Old 03-07-2004, 09:56 AM   #1872
Tech Champion

Can someone tell me this.................I heard someone said HPI will release the VDS (lola) conversion for HPI R40....is that true?

I forgot where I heard that from, but that is a plus for the R40....always like those LOLA kit on the 200mm chassis.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:50 PM   #1873
Tech Elite

Default Funny saying!

You want to know how to make a small fortune in the rc industry??? Start with a large one!!.....I am friends with my local lhs and track owner and I got a good laugh with this one.
J.Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 07:39 PM   #1874
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default Land of the LOST!

There is a lot of bickering about the good Ol' mighty buck here, now isnt there. Anyone that deals with any type of mail order or intenet sales to save that couple of dollars is only shooting themselves in the foot. I agree that a couple of dollars is a couple of dollars, but this is my reasoning.
If you were to soley support you internet/mail order dealer, you will eventually eliminate the LHS. The reason this happen is that all buisiness rely on word of mouth as their most powerful advertisement. Without this they will fold up, besides can you get immediate assistance with a problem from a interent/ mail order company.???
I live in CT, purchased my R40 from Aces Nitro hobbies in Bridgeport, CT for 269.99, without hesitation. The reason I had done so is because of the owner's personality, knowledge, and courtesy to my needs. Now this is where it gets interesting. I was assembling my kit, opened the flywheel bag, and one of the clutch pins fell out of the flywheel. Now this is CLEARLY a HPI defect. This was a wednesday afternoon, wanting to race on thursday night, this sort of put a wrench in the gears. So I call Ace's, expalined my situation, and he said " Dont worry I will take it from my store kit, and have HPI send a new one for me", in turn my car was running in a hour after that. Now where in the world can you get that kind of assistance??????????????? NOWHERE!
But if you were so hooked on saving 5.00usd so be it. You are only hurting US, the local hobby shop supporters.

Now that I have that off my chest, can we please get back to what this forum is about, The R40 and setups for it. Is anyone running their cars, I think I have found a pretty damn good setup for high grip asphalt. Are there editable setup sheets for the R40 anywhere?
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 01:05 AM   #1875
Tech Elite

Default Re: Land of the LOST!

Quote:
Originally posted by Vr6vroom
There is a lot of bickering about the good Ol' mighty buck here, now isnt there. <snip>

Now that I have that off my chest, can we please get back to what this forum is about, The R40 and setups for it. Is anyone running their cars, I think I have found a pretty damn good setup for high grip asphalt. Are there editable setup sheets for the R40 anywhere?
What if your LHS charged $340 for the kit tho?

About the setup, share!!
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote