HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 10:21 PM
Tech Prophet

Last edited by InitialD; 02-19-2004 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Default had a good run

hi all ,
just to let you know that i had a great run with the car today (finally). i put the kyosho four gear diff (can,t get hold of a hpi ) and it tranform the car totally i ran 45 fronts and 42 rears and it was awesome .just wonder though is there a secrect to the clutch i just can,t seem to get it to come in hard enough is there a after market shoe
cheers ozysnake
Old 02-20-2004, 11:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

ozy some of the veterans on our track sand down some parts on the clutch to improve its performance. i havent really studid what part exactly but you might want to take a closer look at it.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: had a good run

Originally posted by ozysnake
hi all ,
just to let you know that i had a great run with the car today (finally). i put the kyosho four gear diff (can,t get hold of a hpi ) and it tranform the car totally i ran 45 fronts and 42 rears and it was awesome .just wonder though is there a secrect to the clutch i just can,t seem to get it to come in hard enough is there a after market shoe
cheers ozysnake
I concur with the 4 gear diff. The car needs it for consistency of the rear diff. Mine is much better with it.

My clutch comes in dang hard man. What are you endfloat and adjuster nut settings? I have .3mm endfloat and .9mm on the adjuster nut. I have not run on really high traction tho, your 45/42 tire combo seems to indicate your track is pretty high grip.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:25 PM
Tech Prophet

just wonder though is there a secrect to the clutch i just can,t seem to get it to come in hard enough is there a after market shoe
You could try taking the retainer spring (87097) that holds the flyweights and run without it.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

hi all ,
cheers ozysnake
ozysnake - do you have the part number of the kyosho 4 gear set?

TO ALL - what oil weight would you use for the front and rear gear diffs what you have the 4 gear set installed?

thanks !!!
Old 02-21-2004, 06:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Default we have a high grip track

hi all ,
thanks for the advise on the clutch i will try that,i tryed soft tyres 42 fronts and 40 rears but the car seem to go off at the end of ten mins on 45 fronts and 42 rears i think i could go all day but on saying this i have not yet race the car so it might be to slow with to much understeer we will see this weekend . as for the diff it came out of a v one r so i don,t have a part number .
cheers
ozysnake
Old 02-22-2004, 02:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

whats the advantage of the 4 gear rear dif and would it work in the front

Last edited by 20 SMOKE; 02-22-2004 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: we have a high grip track

hi all ,
thanks for the advise on the clutch i will try that,i tryed soft tyres 42 fronts and 40 rears but the car seem to go off at the end of ten mins on 45 fronts and 42 rears i think i could go all day but on saying this i have not yet race the car so it might be to slow with to much understeer we will see this weekend . as for the diff it came out of a v one r so i don,t have a part number .
cheers
ozysnake
Did some checking on the weekend on the HPI clutch for ya.

First up all the Mugen centax clutch shoes do fit the HPI clutch. There was a little bit of binding on the pins, nothing a little clearancing would not fix. So you could try the high bite Mugen clutch shoe.

Also the Mugen clutchsprings fit. You could try putting the Mugen high tension spring (gold colour I think) in to increase the punch.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:52 PM
Tech Rookie

hi ,
thanks for that amg . been a brisbane driver u would no what the grip is like at brendale (england park ) if you have race there it is high grip .mostly at tille events it real becomes high and there is a chance of traction rolling . don,t seem to have the problem yet with the hpi.
cheers ozysnake
Old 02-22-2004, 10:15 PM
Tech Elite

hi ,
thanks for that amg . been a brisbane driver u would no what the grip is like at brendale (england park ) if you have race there it is high grip .mostly at tille events it real becomes high and there is a chance of traction rolling . don,t seem to have the problem yet with the hpi.
cheers ozysnake
Yep I know that track well. The HPI clutch should work nicely there without much messing around. Crank the adjuster nut down over 1.0mm.

You will have trouble traction rolling the HPI, but you can do it! The HPI team drivers recommend using the much more laid down front shock tower to reduce the chance of traction roll.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

I just bought an R40, New-in-box, for 239$ and free shipping from a guy on ebay. Sweet deal huh?
Old 02-24-2004, 07:10 AM
Suspended

I was at the winternats with my R40 and ran it inbetween my photography duties (i'm the webmaster of http://www.winternats.com ).

The car was awesome, but I had a bearing failure in my clutchbell. The smell flanged bearing came apart, allowing the clutchbell to extend out too far and lodge up against the chassis, this put such a load on my engine that it fried it in a matter of seconds..

Serpent has a package of high quality bearings that fit perfect, but it's $15 for two of them...

Just FYI. I knew the HPI bearings were low quality when i assembled the kit and I should have been prepared for this.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:52 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Jpilone
Serpent has a package of high quality bearings that fit perfect, but it's $15 for two of them...
The 5x8x2.5 flanged bearing I think is the same quality wise. I don't think it would make any difference if a Serpent or a HPI bearing would have gone in.

BTW, nice job done on the coverage and website !
Old 02-24-2004, 08:02 AM
Suspended

I've also been working with Wolfpack Radicals on the R40.

He wants to make other parts and will get with me later on that, but i'm testing a prototype 2 speed he made for the car.

it includes a titanium 2 speed shaft and TC3 2 speed that drops about 20 grams of weight from the car (and it's all rotating mass).

I've got to give him some measurements from the car tonight and discuss further information with him, but he says he'd put it into production if there's enough interest. The TC3 2 speed is much MUCH smaller in diameter than the HPI 2 speed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.