R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-11-2004, 10:37 PM   #1636
Tech Initiate

I guess I deserved that response....huh? Doesn't change the fact that the old z bent wire linkage on the original NRS4 worked better. Come on, the steering plate just rests on the pivot arms. I could have designed a better system with half my brain tied behind my back (like Rush).
h82crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 07:47 AM   #1637
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to icon

so i guess surikarn must have had a major disadvantage with his 414m2 when he won the worlds. that car uses a similar steering setup (dual bellcrank w/ a plate to connect the two where the turnbuckles would mount).

you like Z bend wires? i'm sure you can install it onto the R40 if you wish. you may even make money by offering this "upgrade".

our next topic will be "steer clear, steer safe": how to avoid those pesky boards that just jump outta nowhere.
icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 09:49 AM   #1638
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

Quote:
Originally posted by h82crash
...Doesn't change the fact that the old z bent wire linkage on the original NRS4 worked better. Come on, the steering plate just rests on the pivot arms. I could have designed a better system with half my brain tied behind my back (like Rush).
Uh, this is the setup that is used on just about every 1:8 scale buggy on the market right now. Buggies will dish out 1000X more abuse on the steering system than a touring car. Maybe Kyosho, Mugen, Ofna and all the other buggy manufacturers should look into the z-bend wire.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:35 AM   #1639
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kreidel
Default Re: HERE'S MY CAR

Quote:
Originally posted by Nrctc3
Well... Here's some pictures of the 1700g R40. Yes, there are custom parts on it.
Nick, I will be sure they weigh your car at the next state race

kreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 03:42 PM   #1640
Tech Elite

Some more results from testing the car yesterday.

1. I think I was right about the overdamped rear shocks. I switched the rear shock oil to 50wt and the car had tons more grip mid corner on a very fast sweeper. Also most of the team driver setups are using shock oil in the 40-50 range.

2. The rear swaybars are VERY lightwight. I think having the mounting points so far inboard really reduces the arms leverage on the bars too much. Hara has made a comment in a recent interview stating that he believes that HPI will revise the mounting point similar to what he did at the ROAR nats.

3. After a few hours of use my rear diff with the 2 gears and 50K oil in it has gone way too light. I think the silicone is breaking down or becoming contaminated. 4 gear diff is a must.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 04:02 PM   #1641
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: R40 with Side Exhaust?

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
Hey man I notice you are from Brisbane. Which track you running the R40 at??
HI AMG racer you have a PM

Regards
555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 04:09 PM   #1642
Tech Elite

Quote:
I am happy with this car except for the steering linkage. You would think the engineers could come up with something better than a flanged bearing on one side of the steering plate. Aside from binding if the screws are too tight, the flanges broke off the bearings after only a few hits resulting in a very slopy steering linkage. Has anyone made an after market set-up for the steering yet? I'm just a bit frustrated.
Interesting comments. However as it has been pointed out many 1/8th scale buggies, several EP 1/10 tourers and the new Kyosho FW05R all use the drag plate arrangement.

If you snapped the bearing flanges you must have whacked that badboy real good. Seriously there are very few cars that will withstand a downright baby seal in a bag clubbing. The only one that will come close is a Kyosho V1R.

Also Z-linkages are evil. Stay away at all costs. I dunno who thought jamming a bit of bent rod through a plastic hole was an efficient steering design, but if you use it on a nitro car you deserve the name "h82crash"

Check this:

Old 02-12-2004, 09:43 PM   #1643
Tech Initiate

I guess some folks have a hard time identifying humor. The Z-bend wire thing was a joke... I think Icon is pretty funny, though his comments haven't helped one bit. Surikarn could take a Traxxas out and smoke us all, with a wire linkage.

I fly 30% r/c aircraft and the linkages on these have no slop, none. I think these "high-tech" cars can do better.

I do feel strangely obligated to defend my driving skills, but I won't. It just sounds to me like you guys don't even need turn marshalls at your tracks. FYI the thing I smacked hard was wedging my front wheel under a full size car in my driveway. The dusty concrete was like ice and I learned a lesson. I popped the threads off the axle and I guess the flanges off the bearings, that's it...tuff little car.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:58 PM   #1644
Tech Elite

Quote:
I guess some folks have a hard time identifying humor. The Z-bend wire thing was a joke... I think Icon is pretty funny, though his comments haven't helped one bit. Surikarn could take a Traxxas out and smoke us all, with a wire linkage.

I fly 30% r/c aircraft and the linkages on these have no slop, none. I think these "high-tech" cars can do better.

I do feel strangely obligated to defend my driving skills, but I won't. It just sounds to me like you guys don't even need turn marshalls at your tracks. FYI the thing I smacked hard was wedging my front wheel under a full size car in my driveway. The dusty concrete was like ice and I learned a lesson. I popped the threads off the axle and I guess the flanges off the bearings, that's it...tuff little car.

Thanks for all the help.
Dont stress. Everybody is just pointing out that a drag plate arrangement is a pretty common and pretty robust steering design. I cant see anything wrong with the design. If you crash hard you will break something, if not the steering something else.

BTW how do you fly 30% of an aircraft?
Old 02-13-2004, 12:36 AM   #1645
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to icon

ok, i'll help instead of being sarcastic.

like AMG and others have said. the design is fine; crash hard enough and anything will break.

i'm actually surprised the to hear your front wide bumper mounted with a urethane foam bumper didnt protect the front of the car. usually that takes most of the impact and saves your linkages and bellcranks. i crashed into a steel H beam that they used for guardrails (dont ask ) and i can say it saved a lot of stuff, the bumper looked like crap afterwards though.
icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 08:54 AM   #1646
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys, I think if the steering bar had a bearing top and bottom it would be much better.

AMG, sounds like you're being facetious, but for those who don't know, 30% is the size as compared to the full scale. They used to say 1/4 scale, 1/3 scale, etc. But there are so many sizes in between that we use pecentages. So my 30% runs a 50cc gas with electronic ignition, and has about $500 in servos in it. There are production models available at 52%-huge!

Here's a pic of a 33% high performance aerobatic. (not mine)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap start small.jpg (65.2 KB, 148 views)
Old 02-13-2004, 09:29 AM   #1647
Tech Adept

Default my ride

my car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture5.jpg (12.3 KB, 178 views)
rodrigo1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 09:30 AM   #1648
Tech Adept

Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture10.jpg (14.9 KB, 141 views)
Old 02-13-2004, 09:34 AM   #1649
Tech Adept

another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture10.jpg (14.9 KB, 136 views)
Old 02-13-2004, 10:01 AM   #1650
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by wild gopher
i saw somewhere that they had an all carbon fiber chassis? Anyone know where to find this? I dont have an R40 yet but will soon be getting one.
Take that out of your system now....carbon fiber can stand a lot of heat, but carbon fiber DOES NOT absorb heat (in time and spread rate format) as FAST or as GOOD as typical aluminum chassis....

Unless you want your engine overheat in no time....don't even bother to use carbon fiber chassis.

Beside, if CF is any good, how come you don't see all the after market mfr made one for any nitro TC...(except GPM, they made some for Serpent and others and the sales are 0)

But if you are building a R40 for SHOW only, that is the different story.....and NO, so far, no one made CF chassis for R40, the one you saw (I believed he sold his R40 on ebay 3 weeks ago for the G4) was a custom made CF chassis.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote