Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Need help in engineering project - material type of tuned pipes? >

Need help in engineering project - material type of tuned pipes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help in engineering project - material type of tuned pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Need help in engineering project - material type of tuned pipes?

Hi all, I was wondering what type of metal is commonly used in two chambered pipes. Right now I'm using the tuned pipe off my Schumacher Fusion 21, and I need the type of material the pipe is made out of. I had drawn a Solidworks 3-D modeling replica and in order to use the model in virtual testing I need the material type. Aluminum is the answer I have been given, but I was wondering if anyone knew the specific type, like 1060, 2018, 3003, etc. Thanks for any help offered!

By the way, I'm doing a heat exchanger project where the heat off the exhaust of a car (in this case, a model R/C) is recycled to heat various things, like windows or seats, as my partners suggested. I'd rather place this though in an industrial application, as in heating the cabin of a bulldozer or something.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You can use Alloy 1100 or Alloy 5052. They both good for cold spinning.

What CFD software are u using to simulate heatexchange for your project?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks! I'm using COSMOSXpress for the simulation. It's part of the SolidWorks suite. Funny enough my engineering department switched to SolidWorks only to switch back to AutoCAD.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jouerevo
Thanks! I'm using COSMOSXpress for the simulation. It's part of the SolidWorks suite. Funny enough my engineering department switched to SolidWorks only to switch back to AutoCAD.
Hmm, how can you simulate Fliud Dynamics with CosmosExpress? You need ANSYS ICEM CFD or at list CosmosFlow.
That is really funny! Switch from SW back to AutoCAD? Insane! Oh well, that means some big fish in your Engineering department doesn't know and doesn't want to learn SW-I don't see any other explanation. At my work everybody switched to SW, only manufacturing drawings converted in AutoCad (hate that CAD)
Old 05-06-2008, 01:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Actually, you are right. COSMOXpress isn't the program I need. Eh. Well, looks like I'm going to have to find that program. And I know what you mean about CAD... I used to work with it back in high school. Solidworks just works so much better (since I don't really have to remember all those complicated commands!). As for my department, I have no idea what's going on. I think I heard the reason behind the change back, but I don't remember anymore. I was just quite surprised to find AutoCAD and not Solidworks on the engineering computers. Sucks now, because I can't even go to the engineering building to use their programs (which means no CosmosFlow that's easily accessible).

*sigh*
Old 05-06-2008, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jouerevo
Actually, you are right. COSMOXpress isn't the program I need. Eh. Well, looks like I'm going to have to find that program. And I know what you mean about CAD... I used to work with it back in high school. Solidworks just works so much better (since I don't really have to remember all those complicated commands!). As for my department, I have no idea what's going on. I think I heard the reason behind the change back, but I don't remember anymore. I was just quite surprised to find AutoCAD and not Solidworks on the engineering computers. Sucks now, because I can't even go to the engineering building to use their programs (which means no CosmosFlow that's easily accessible).

*sigh*
Sorry to hear that you don't have access to right software.
As far as Fluid Dynamic software, I will estimate about 4-6 hours of just inputing data for RC car cooling, plus 2-3 hours of running simulation (in case if you have really solid hardware with very good video card, 4 Gb memory + and so on), that means you can't just walk-in and make simulation-it is long time consumting procces.
About AutoCAD-it is sucks! you have to "type" the "book" before you will create something, but most of manufacturers are still use it, primary formats are DWG and DXF. So it will be arround for while and every engineer designer has to know at list basic how to work with AutoCAD. In some cases (prototype manufacturing machines) running from DWG or DXF and it is must to know how to use AutoCAD in order to be able to running those protypers.