R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2003, 06:01 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 54
Default help! rody mod rb 5port carb setting

i have a rody rb 5 port whats the starting point setting I have tried diff setting the engine still run high temp 260. and very hard to restart.
hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 07:30 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NoVA
Posts: 856
Send a message via ICQ to mtx3racer Send a message via AIM to mtx3racer
Default

i don't have a rody, but some of my fellow racers do. They settings are around 1/2 turn out on bottom, and i think the top is around 3.



Nitro Rules
mtx3racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 09:12 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
vones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,022
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

try 2rds from close for LSN n 5 rds for HSN....then tune frm there
vones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 09:49 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: sunnyvale, ca
Posts: 56
Default Re: help! rody mod rb 5port carb setting

Quote:
Originally posted by hunt
i have a rody rb 5 port whats the starting point setting I have tried diff setting the engine still run high temp 260. and very hard to restart.
hunt: the basic starting point for the 'modified' Nova Rossi based
engines...RB, JP, Mugen, NovaMaxx, etc is around 2.5 turns on
the bottom and 4.5 turns at the top end needle...What most
racers ignore or do not know is that the pipe length from the
backside of the header to the seam in the middle of the pipe
is related to the rpm range of the engine...in your case you have
a genuine 40K + rpm engine that requires a measurement of
102mm to 105 mm (4.0 to 4 1/8"). If you run too short a pipe,
the engine tends to run hot because the timing of the exhaust
gases out of the exhaust port collides with the unburnt gases
being pushed back in by the timing length of the pipe divergent
cone...ask any of the racers who are now trying to break in the
new NS12 S3 engines with their old pipes...I know of at least 3
at the Revelations track in L.A. this weekend who had nothing
but overtemp problems until they went to the pipe length
I specified above....I have looked around for pipes of this
configuration...so far I have found two: the Trinity Team
Magic 12 and the Collari Sirio pipe...both are in between 102
and 105 mm. Oh yeah, I use the obsoleted Mugen/Nova Rossi
51601 pipe that was discontinued two years ago...something
tells me that they will re-appear again....good luck with your
Rody Rhoem...he builds good modifieds...too bad he doesnot
provide more specific info on making them work...but then again,
he is French....
jd300zxtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 11:54 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 54
Default

I really appreiate everyone help Thank
hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 12:19 PM   #6
Tech Master
 
rod_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Covina CA
Posts: 1,033
Send a message via AIM to rod_b
Default Re: Re: help! rody mod rb 5port carb setting

Quote:
Originally posted by jd300zxtt
hunt: the basic starting point for the 'modified' Nova Rossi based
engines...RB, JP, Mugen, NovaMaxx, etc is around 2.5 turns on
the bottom and 4.5 turns at the top end needle...What most
racers ignore or do not know is that the pipe length from the
backside of the header to the seam in the middle of the pipe
is related to the rpm range of the engine...in your case you have
a genuine 40K + rpm engine that requires a measurement of
102mm to 105 mm (4.0 to 4 1/8"). If you run too short a pipe,
the engine tends to run hot because the timing of the exhaust
gases out of the exhaust port collides with the unburnt gases
being pushed back in by the timing length of the pipe divergent
cone...ask any of the racers who are now trying to break in the
new NS12 S3 engines with their old pipes...I know of at least 3
at the Revelations track in L.A. this weekend who had nothing
but overtemp problems until they went to the pipe length
I specified above....I have looked around for pipes of this
configuration...so far I have found two: the Trinity Team
Magic 12 and the Collari Sirio pipe...both are in between 102
and 105 mm. Oh yeah, I use the obsoleted Mugen/Nova Rossi
51601 pipe that was discontinued two years ago...something
tells me that they will re-appear again....good luck with your
Rody Rhoem...he builds good modifieds...too bad he doesnot
provide more specific info on making them work...but then again,
he is French....
That is very good info. Have you measured the RDLogics Turbo ROAR Legal pipe? Supposedly modded engines run really well on these pipes. Even Dennis Richey's commented on how well his engines ran with the RDL pipe.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 04:55 PM   #7
Tech Addict
 
mckrooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Long Beach,CA
Posts: 641
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mckrooz
Default Re: Re: help! rody mod rb 5port carb setting

Quote:
Originally posted by jd300zxtt
hunt: the basic starting point for the 'modified' Nova Rossi based
engines...RB, JP, Mugen, NovaMaxx, etc is around 2.5 turns on
the bottom and 4.5 turns at the top end needle...What most
racers ignore or do not know is that the pipe length from the
backside of the header to the seam in the middle of the pipe
is related to the rpm range of the engine...in your case you have
a genuine 40K + rpm engine that requires a measurement of
102mm to 105 mm (4.0 to 4 1/8"). If you run too short a pipe,
the engine tends to run hot because the timing of the exhaust
gases out of the exhaust port collides with the unburnt gases
being pushed back in by the timing length of the pipe divergent
cone...ask any of the racers who are now trying to break in the
new NS12 S3 engines with their old pipes...I know of at least 3
at the Revelations track in L.A. this weekend who had nothing
but overtemp problems until they went to the pipe length
I specified above....I have looked around for pipes of this
configuration...so far I have found two: the Trinity Team
Magic 12 and the Collari Sirio pipe...both are in between 102
and 105 mm. Oh yeah, I use the obsoleted Mugen/Nova Rossi
51601 pipe that was discontinued two years ago...something
tells me that they will re-appear again....good luck with your
Rody Rhoem...he builds good modifieds...too bad he doesnot
provide more specific info on making them work...but then again,
he is French....
Where should you check the length on the pipe? Just from end to end?
mckrooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 05:06 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic
 
EVOLUTION's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Everywhere,yet Nowhere!
Posts: 978
Default

double post.
EVOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 05:07 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic
 
EVOLUTION's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Everywhere,yet Nowhere!
Posts: 978
Default

EVOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 09:05 PM   #10
Tech Regular
 
Jonathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 262
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: help! rody mod rb 5port carb setting

Quote:
Originally posted by jd300zxtt
hunt: the basic starting point for the 'modified' Nova Rossi based
engines...RB, JP, Mugen, NovaMaxx, etc is around 2.5 turns on
the bottom and 4.5 turns at the top end needle...What most
racers ignore or do not know is that the pipe length from the
backside of the header to the seam in the middle of the pipe
is related to the rpm range of the engine...in your case you have
a genuine 40K + rpm engine that requires a measurement of
102mm to 105 mm (4.0 to 4 1/8"). If you run too short a pipe,
the engine tends to run hot because the timing of the exhaust
gases out of the exhaust port collides with the unburnt gases
being pushed back in by the timing length of the pipe divergent
cone...ask any of the racers who are now trying to break in the
new NS12 S3 engines with their old pipes...I know of at least 3
at the Revelations track in L.A. this weekend who had nothing
but overtemp problems until they went to the pipe length
I specified above....I have looked around for pipes of this
configuration...so far I have found two: the Trinity Team
Magic 12 and the Collari Sirio pipe...both are in between 102
and 105 mm. Oh yeah, I use the obsoleted Mugen/Nova Rossi
51601 pipe that was discontinued two years ago...something
tells me that they will re-appear again....good luck with your
Rody Rhoem...he builds good modifieds...too bad he doesnot
provide more specific info on making them work...but then again,
he is French....
I think the pipe that you are smoking from is too long... try telling your spew to Robbie and Pepe...both running the 514 one piece. one of the shortest pipes...and yeah Robbie was running a JP NS12. I ran the Collari Sirio one piece, which falls between the 102 and 105mm and still came off the track at 280 after 20 mins. It did what it is suppose to do though... super low end and falls flat at the top..
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 09:37 PM   #11
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default Re: Re: help! rody mod rb 5port carb setting

Quote:
Originally posted by jd300zxtt
engines...RB, JP, Mugen, NovaMaxx, etc is around 2.5 turns on
the bottom and 4.5 turns at the top end needle...
Woow, 2.5 turns out on the LSN is a little lean for the NovaMax. The one I tune already gives a lot of power at 3.5 turns out. Then again, this may defer as climate, fuel and pipe lengths used are different. Well, the 4.5 turns out on the HSN is spot on though...

Quote:
Originally posted by jd300zxtt
in your case you have a genuine 40K + rpm engine that requires a measurement of 102mm to 105 mm (4.0 to 4 1/8").
This is interesting. Not meaning any disrespect, the Novarossi inline pipes and the NovaMega TP05 outlaw inline pipes have pipe lengths in between 94 to 96 mm. The RDLogic .15 inline pipe has a fixed pipe length of 92 mm. All of these pipes work flawlessly with the NovaMax (which is from the new NS12 varient) and idles to kingdom come. Did you get the pipe length figures from Dennis?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 09:42 PM   #12
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default Re: Re: Re: help! rody mod rb 5port carb setting

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
I think the pipe that you are smoking from is too long... try telling your spew to Robbie and Pepe...both running the 514 one piece. one of the shortest pipes...and yeah Robbie was running a JP NS12. I ran the Collari Sirio one piece, which falls between the 102 and 105mm and still came off the track at 280 after 20 mins. It did what it is suppose to do though... super low end and falls flat at the top..
I think you're right on that one Jonathan Someone I know ran the Collari pipe on a JP and he was chasing the engine carb tuning all day long.

The Novarossi inline pipes are spot on for the NS12. I've seen most with these pipes paired with the NS12 and never had tuning problems
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carb Setting for Hyper 7 Mach 28 Aceboy Electric Off-Road 1 06-24-2006 06:21 AM
CARB SETTING mattxxx-nt Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 2 02-03-2006 02:11 PM
mugen mt12 carb setting dido41 Nitro On-Road 3 07-24-2005 07:36 PM
mugen mt12 carb setting dido41 Rookie Zone 0 07-24-2005 12:22 PM
Factory setting for NSR12 5port temjin006 Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 1 07-07-2004 09:35 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:21 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net