R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default more fuel

Hey Mike:

You ever think about trying 20% Nitro? I'll be running maxy 20% with you guys this weekend, and your welcome to try it out. I switched to 20% last year the lower nitro content definitely helps with fuel mileage.

See you sunday!
nytaurean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #17
Tech Adept

What engine are you running?

Here are some general tips, all of which your engine was designed for,

1. An INS box
2. 25% nitro and a premium fuel (i.e. Werks or Tornado), good fuels run more efficient (20% in some cases, track and engine dependent)
3. Use a 3 chamber pipe
4. An 8mm restictor, anything greater hurts more than it helps

Other things to try, in order of importance if your still not making mileage

5. The engine, some engines are just not as efficient as other's i.e. a 21+35 is fast, but on a open track its a fuel hog, 359's and Sirio based (Xenons) get much better mileage
6. Clutch, flyweights that are too light, spin up too much RPM and burn to much excess fuel. Going from 4mm holes to 3mm holes makes a difference, or shorten the gap, i.e. going from .5mm to .3mm
7. Gearing, gear it taller, so the car isn't wound so tight (this never seems to buy me anything, but I am sure you can pickup a few extra seconds). That is why you see alot of guys runing a 16/48, instead of a 16/49.
8. Loosen your 2 speed, this gets the car into second earlier and forces you to control the shift point with your finger by easing into the throtle. For instance at Toledo, unless I am passing someone on the straight, I don't actually hit full throtle until I am just over a 1/3rd of the way down it.
9. Go to a #8 plug, this works too, but you will take a performance hit.

Most importantly drive the car easier, practice rolling on to the throtle, a good clutch will allow you to do this. But that will not work alone, if your not doing the main items I listed above 1-3, and you are going fast making mileage at Toledo, 301, Ft. Myer's when the grip is high is impossible.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:22 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR View Post
Hi guys, looking for things that you have done to get better milage.

I have a 7.5 restrictor in the carb. and running the lowest gear ratio. I backed off on my clutch spring. Running 25% fuel. Engine temp around 250 deg. One extra copper shim under the button.

Let me know things that you have done that gave you more run time. Thanks
I personally think adding a head shim is a step backwards for fuel milage. Yes, you will have to take fuel away from the motor when you do this and on the surface it sounds good for milage. But less compression means less fuel is able to be burned and power output drops. The result is you THROTTLE the engine more to make up or the lost power especially in the tighter sections and coming off corners. Taking the shim out and retuning could mean better power in the infield section using less throttle opening and getting off the main jet tends to be better for milage in general.
www.motorists.org
P2gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Can't believe no one asked yet..... What engine??

An extra shim is not a bad idea- depending on where you started to begin with. Nova's come shimmed for 16% fuel and generally need to have about 0.026"- 0.028" clearance on 25% fuel. For older engines (WC01 style with the short button) this means 0.7- 0.8mm and with 359's, 35+21's, LC's this means 0.9mm....... generally speaking.
BYRON'S FUEL/TWISTER TIRES
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think that his question was in general ... We didn't ask how many laps he was turning ... it might be all he is going to get

But wow what an excellent list of things to double check to make sure that your getting all of the fuel miliage that you can get !! Nice job guys

We are a bunch of fart smellas
Old 05-02-2008, 09:17 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I was on a 16 lap TQ pace the last round and ran out of fuel at 301 Raceway. Ended up qualifying second by 1 and 1/2 seconds.

I have a few engines. I have the new Cordoba engine but still braking it in, plan on running it in the Capitol Classic and GLC race.( I want to be in the A main again this year). Two Ninjas and a Nova plus 21. The plus 21 does better then the Ninjas. I am running Byrons 25%. I have seen a few things that I want to try this weekend. I ran the chamber on the line from the pipe last year but did not use it this year. Loosening the two speed also. Keep the ideas coming. Thanks
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:25 AM   #22
Tech Regular

I just studied this old thread and have some questions:

Do small tyres increase milage?
How about gearing - Is a long second gear increasing mileage?

I always try to figure this out during qualifiers, but my drinving is not consistent enough and so I end up wondering all the time
fulcrum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:11 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Small tires; YES. For the same given distance they will turn more revolutions than a larger tire. If the tire turns more revolutions then engine will also. More crankshaft revolutions=more power strokes=more burnt fuel.
The gear question; this works like the tire question to a point. Go to low numericaly and your going to lug/over load the engine.
Aarons post is really good. #17
Old 05-12-2010, 07:42 AM   #24
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenDrew View Post
Small tires; YES. For the same given distance they will turn more revolutions than a larger tire. If the tire turns more revolutions then engine will also. More crankshaft revolutions=more power strokes=more burnt fuel.
But......
The load on an engine making more revs due a lighter gearing / smaller tires is less. In that case you can adjust the engine leaner without going over the top which saves fuel.....

There are some points to discuss in aaron's post.
For instance a 3 chamber pipe is no real solution, the right pipe is. But what is the right pipe? He mentioned the Sirio engines mostly running a 2013 pipe, that pipe does work on a Nova based engine also, My thirsty JP can reach with easy 5 minutes on this pipe.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Thanks for your thoughts guys. As we see there are a lot of "pro's" "con's" an "but's". This is why I never really come to a conclusion with this. Yes, the 2013 pipe is sweet but since two years not allowed anymore in our championship. I always wanted to use it for club racing but anytime I put in on the car I realise that the stinger is in a different location compared to the Nova pipes. That means I would need to cut a really long slot into the side of the body which weakens it and looks strange. More often then not after this I put the 2013 back in my pit bag

Roelof, by the way - a couple of years ago you showed us a little graph which made the relationship between lean/rich mixture setting, power output and revs very clear. Could you try to make it available again? Thanks a lot!

Til next time, Stefan
fulcrum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:04 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Couple additional questions:

16% vs 25%. The lower nitro content gives more runtime as you are running a leaner setting..however how much power due you really give up especially with 25% with increase in head clearance to say .9 on nova engine?

#8 plug. Colder plug gives better time due to a leaner setting however how much power do you give up? Aaron noted a loss of power with colder plug?

Thanks
J.Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #27
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulcrum2 View Post
Thanks for your thoughts guys. As we see there are a lot of "pro's" "con's" an "but's". This is why I never really come to a conclusion with this. Yes, the 2013 pipe is sweet but since two years not allowed anymore in our championship. I always wanted to use it for club racing but anytime I put in on the car I realise that the stinger is in a different location compared to the Nova pipes. That means I would need to cut a really long slot into the side of the body which weakens it and looks strange. More often then not after this I put the 2013 back in my pit bag

Roelof, by the way - a couple of years ago you showed us a little graph which made the relationship between lean/rich mixture setting, power output and revs very clear. Could you try to make it available again? Thanks a lot!

Til next time, Stefan

The 2013 is comming back as a legal 2011 spec pipe so I was told. It will get an extra external silencer.

Regarding the diagram:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-ro...ml#post5022045
Old 05-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
But......
The load on an engine making more revs due a lighter gearing / smaller tires is less. In that case you can adjust the engine leaner without going over the top which saves fuel.....

There are some points to discuss in aaron's post.
For instance a 3 chamber pipe is no real solution, the right pipe is. But what is the right pipe? He mentioned the Sirio engines mostly running a 2013 pipe, that pipe does work on a Nova based engine also, My thirsty JP can reach with easy 5 minutes on this pipe.
I set the car up awhile back for small tires (starting rears 70mm) and went up one tooth on both pinions. Noticed NO difference in run time. If your talking about leaving the roll out the same; What I have seen time and time again when the rears get somewhere around 71-70mm the engine will sound like it has gone slightly lean. Bring the car in and temp is thru the roof. Fatten it up an hour and it turns into a dog with the engine temp dropping dramatically. I am veiwing this as the engine telling me I have gone past the usable timimg/ port area of the engine and out of frequency with the pipe.