R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Car Set Up ?? Clutch Pre-Load

Hello to everyone I have few questions regurding on road set up:

What is clutch pre-load what does it do ?

What is clutch gap and what does it do ?

Diffrance between solid axle and dif how does it work ?

And one more thing lets say that on the I have my line on a race track very cosistant laps around 14.200 what would be the first thing to adjust on a on road car to get better lap times ???
Armedforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Hello to everyone I have few questions regurding on road set up:

What is clutch pre-load what does it do ? - How tight the spring is to move the show towards the bell
What is clutch gap and what does it do ? - The distance the shoe moves to hit the bell and fully engage
Diffrance between solid axle and dif how does it work ? - solid has a direct action. The diff can be adjusted and offer more or less diff action, which affects turn in, mid and exit on power steering
And one more thing lets say that on the I have my line on a race track very cosistant laps around 14.200 what would be the first thing to adjust on a on road car to get better lap times ???You want to be able to hold the power deeper in the turn and get on power earlier. Practice that first. Aslo a car easy to drive is normally not the fastest. The car needs corner speed. Make adjustments with roll center, suspension, tires, sway bars, etc.

Hope this helps to start with,

DJ Apolaro
Old 04-28-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Clutch preload is how high you want the engine to rev before the clutch engages. If the car has low RPM and is sluggish off of the corner you can tighten the preload and allow the engine to rev higher before engaging. If the rear end is fish tailing coming out of the corner on the power, you need to back off the preload a little.

Clutch Gap is the distance from the clutch plate face to the clutch bell face. If the gap is too large the clutch won't fully engage and it will fry the clutch disc. If the gap is too close you will cause the clutch to engage early or if it is too-too close it will destroy the thrust bearing. Keep this gap between .30 to .40 mm .

This way you can adjust your clutch preload to work for the track and then just maintain the gap

Solid axle "locks" both wheels together during power and braking ( doesn't turn well off power, turns real well on power) like an 1/8 scaler

Diff allows the wheels to turn independently of each other and then can be adjusted (tightened or loosened) for on power and braking ( touring cars use these

If you have nice consistant laps going, snug up the clutch a little and get from corner to corner quicker (see less fuel economy) then brake deeper into the turn and then get the power on earlier off the corner.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

you can also go to the NT1 setup book it will give all the info you need to setup eveything on your car http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...ria=0&catName=
Old 04-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Much thanks guys for the advice and the funny thing is I'm about to get XRAY NT1 as you all menchoned here
Armedforces is offline   Reply With Quote