R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-30-2008, 05:37 AM   #31
Tech Master

Will a spec class work.
Does anyone know of a spec class, that has ran for more than a year?
We have tried spec classes, and is all it did was make other classes smaller. It didn't decrease spending, because, those who had more money to spend, still spent more than those didn't . It really didn't bring new racers in, because when they saw how much faster other classes were, that's what they wanted.
It has been my experience, that most of the people that really want a spec class, don't win in the classes currently being ran.
People are going to spend, what they have to spend. Rules can't change that.
WARDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:08 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARDO View Post
Will a spec class work.
Does anyone know of a spec class, that has ran for more than a year?
We have tried spec classes, and is all it did was make other classes smaller. It didn't decrease spending, because, those who had more money to spend, still spent more than those didn't . It really didn't bring new racers in, because when they saw how much faster other classes were, that's what they wanted.
It has been my experience, that most of the people that really want a spec class, don't win in the classes currently being ran.
People are going to spend, what they have to spend. Rules can't change that.
Yes, the IGT class, has added another 20 racers in our area in just one year. Yes some of the current racers have purchased these cars, and we have had a shift from Elec. Mod and Elec. 19T to 12th scale and Stock. We did split up the stock class. We have Pro Stock and Stock, we put the faster guys in Pro Stock. So now Stock is growing....

I really do not know what to tell you, others on this topic have expressed how a spec class has helped, but in your case it has not... I'm sure there are areas that spec. is not the answer at this point..

Digi3Dworks - 3D printing for the medical Field.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:06 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Lagace View Post
We are entering our second year of spec nitro this summer. We returned to 20 cars on a wed night after a 3-4 year total exticntion of nitro all together... WE used to run 200mm and 235mm cars and the bubble burst and we had a 3-4 year dry spell...

Here is what we did:
http://users.xplornet.com/~jlagace/nitro/

While we dont get 30-40 entries like we used to 20 is respectable for our area as the racing scene has been struggling...
it appears to be working for these guys
genesisG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

At the risk of upsetting someone here, which is NOT what I'm trying to do, only to share experiences with others, and express opinions, not to "dig" at anyone.

I would like to point out to you have four cycles of change (sorry if I use the wrong terminology here), but it is important to understand that the 4 cycles (types of people) are very important to a successful change and the process of change.

Here they are (and they are called different things in different area, but the bottom line there are 4 groups...)

1. Planner / Will not go to the party until we know very thing we can know, and have planed every move. These people are very important in order make change last and become the new way, it just takes a while for them to come on board and for good reason.

3. Analyzer / Review the data over and over, willing to change, but is willing to wait until problems get addressed in detail... You will find these people in the corner at party...

2. Innovator / Ideas - willing to move, but wants to make controlled changes. You will find them at the beer keg, but not drinking, they are looking for a more effective way to run the party, changing the music, etc...

4. Implementor / willing to except the problems that come with being first to the party....

Sorry, college was a long time ago and I do not remember the names of the groups, but in all my installations, you have to deal with this cycle... and the same with any change... It takes time and it takes all these types to make it successful.

Digi3Dworks - 3D printing for the medical Field.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:57 PM   #35
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz View Post
At the risk of upsetting someone here, which is NOT what I'm trying to do, only to share experiences with others, and express opinions, not to "dig" at anyone.

I would like to point out to you have four cycles of change (sorry if I use the wrong terminology here), but it is important to understand that the 4 cycles (types of people) are very important to a successful change and the process of change.

Here they are (and they are called different things in different area, but the bottom line there are 4 groups...)

1. Planner / Will not go to the party until we know very thing we can know, and have planed every move. These people are very important in order make change last and become the new way, it just takes a while for them to come on board and for good reason.

3. Analyzer / Review the data over and over, willing to change, but is willing to wait until problems get addressed in detail... You will find these people in the corner at party...

2. Innovator / Ideas - willing to move, but wants to make controlled changes. You will find them at the beer keg, but not drinking, they are looking for a more effective way to run the party, changing the music, etc...

4. Implementor / willing to except the problems that come with being first to the party....

Sorry, college was a long time ago and I do not remember the names of the groups, but in all my installations, you have to deal with this cycle... and the same with any change... It takes time and it takes all these types to make it successful.
excellent way of putting it...

I like these types of threads as it gets guys thinking outside the box...a spec formula may only work on the local level, or novice classes. I know some types of spec formulas have been tried before and failed...wrong spec formula, I would guess.
Trying new ideas need a lot of thought and research in order to find a successful formula. It it has been done successfully in other forms of motorsports and I think the right mix of ideas could help the RC market...thats all.

Last edited by genesisG4; 05-01-2008 at 06:36 PM.
genesisG4 is offline   Reply With Quote