R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Novak XXL in a gas car (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/21820-novak-xxl-gas-car.html)

speedydave 07-24-2003 09:57 PM

Novak XXL in a gas car

Hi guys. I own a Novak XXL FM receiver, which I've been running in my buggy for a while now. I recently put the stock receiver(R113F, from a Futaba 3PDF) in my new buggy, and I just got a truck, so I was planning on putting my XXL in the truck. I know, this is an onroad forum, but this forum is a nitro-only forum, and this forum also gets more action than the offroad forum. Now, normally this would be fine, but my friend, and a few other people, have been telling me that the Novak XXL is not a receiver they'd trust in any gas car. They basically said that the receiver will start to glitch, and eventually the car will randomly just go into runaway mode. In other words, they're saying the receiver is not reliable in gas cars. Has anyone else heard of/experienced this? I'd really like to use the receiver, but I don't want a runaway, either. The receiver worked fine in my buggy, but they all said that the receivers worked fine until one run when they just went haywire. Any thoughts? Thanks.

B 07-24-2003 09:59 PM

a freind used the receiver in a 1/8th On road and it was absolutely fine

:rolleyes:

Racing4Evo 07-24-2003 10:03 PM

I've heard the same things from other people I race with. I've been using it for about 3 months with no signs of glitching. The antannea heat shrink is ripped and the case doesn't look too durable but to answer your glitching question, NO. BUT, if offered to buy another one, I'd surely turn it down. Stick to the factory stuff.

speedydave 07-24-2003 10:11 PM

So I should be good to go? This is going in a Mugen MST-1, btw.

And thanks for the SUPER quick responses! I posted this like 5 minutes ago! :)

Racing4Evo 07-24-2003 10:18 PM

That is the same truck I am using the XXL in. No problems. If you're hesitant, pack some foam around the receiver and tehn stuff it in the receiver box. Don't let the antannea hang out of the tube, leave it short so it doesn't scrape and rip. Radio reception should not differ.

speedydave 07-24-2003 10:21 PM

Alright, thanks! Yeah, that's exactly what I did with my MBX5. :)

mtx3racer 07-25-2003 07:24 PM

I used a novak xxl in my mtx 3 and it worked perfect!!!

Nitro Rules:spidey:

snoopy 07-25-2003 08:46 PM

Run mine in my MTX3 for 6 mths now....works perfect.

Dan 07-27-2003 08:53 PM

I once used my XXL on my GT4R. For some reason, if I'm not with a whole lot of people or out alone, it works perfectly fine and I have no complaints.

When I would bring it to the race track with more people (and radios), about 20% of the time, I'll get odd glitching that will put my car into a wall. Never had a runaway though.

If it matters, I had my XXL mounted on my graphite upper deck and the antenna wire does briefly extend on the deck to the antenna holder for about about a centimeter. I think if I had it in an RX box and made sure the wire didn't touch anything else, it would have solved my glitching problems.

The XXL is now on my electric TC.

fraz 07-29-2003 04:10 PM

I have spoken to Tyree Phillips from Novak about this and I own somewhere around 7-8 of these receivers. The XXL will work fine in gas/nitro cars if you make sure that it is is shock cushioned so the chassis vibrations don't kill it. IOW, don't servo tape it to your chassis if you can get away with it. The biggest killer of XXLs is the super high vibration caused by some of the 40k+ RPM motors we run in 1/8 scale. That being said, I have successfully used them and they have lasted fine but will last even longer if you mount them carefully. In looking at Tyree's 1/5 scale Technokit I saw that he mounted his XXL surrounded in foam and that seemed to do the trick perfectly.

I currently have been running the XXXtra Synthesized in my 1/8 scale and they are awesome. The only glitch I have encountered was ultimately from a bad throttle servo. So if you encounter troubles, make sure you check out everything first before looking to the receiver.