R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-30-2003, 06:19 PM   #31
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
Don't let any Mugen drivers hear you say that....
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 07:43 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Post R40

The car looks very promising. The only thing I am leary about is that the PRO3 looked very promising at first as well. If it doesn't take a lot of Hop Ups to make it work then it definetly will be worth a look.

But plastic shock bodies on a nitro car? There is one hop up needed already. I would really like to see this car work and be competitive.

Later,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 08:44 AM   #33
Tech Fanatic

Didn't the Serpent Impact first come with plastic shocks? I don't remember any complaints about that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I suppose there's a possibillity of a US release of an optioned-up kit with aluminum shocks and a few other extra parts but I don't know about it personally. Every manufacturer has to balance a racer's budget versus a racer's desire for option parts so this first version of the car has a couple of things on it that a diehard racer might replace straight away or a casual racer would leave on. As far as I'm concerned the car doesn't need options except maybe for a one-way if that's what works better for you and your track.

We can't make one version of the car for every style of driving, track size, surface type, etc., so I suppose we took a middle of the road approach with a lean towards minding the budget and getting the car in racer's hands at a good price.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:07 AM   #34
Tech Master

Default HPI RS40

Guys ... since when will HPI ever make a proper Nitro car ... the last ones were totally nonsense to be honest. All HPI can do for nitro cars is that they look good, have a great website but the cars are nonsense. That is a fact compared with cars like the NTC3 or the Mugen.

I saw the RS40 today in the kit and I will say it is nothing great, much better than the previous car but still waaaay short of the present standards set by the NTC3, 705 and the MTX3.

What HPI has done is to sell a lot of really bad cars using great marketing ... that is all it has going for it!!! See good marketing sells.

NTC3 and MTX3 FOREVER!!!
tIANcI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 09:09 AM   #35
Tech Master

Default Its the R40

Ooops ... its the R40 ... sorry .. typo
tIANcI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 09:24 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I like to pipe in my $0.02. First, to all the HPI bashers, the product is not as bad as you say it is. Most of us that went to nitro from electric, HPI was what most of us got before moving to the upscale cars. I have never had the same problems that most of you had with my Racer 2, which is still stock, outside the 2-speed.

On the complaint about plastic shocks, the Impulse and Impact came with plastic shock bodies at first and no one complained about how they did or did not work. Matter of fact, if you want to knit-pick and complain, you can find flaws in all the cars that we buy and race.

My point is that if you don't like something, that is fine. But explain how you can be an expert on something you have never tried and give negative comments about it? Like the NTC3, give the product a chance to prove itself before you start bashing it.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 10:45 AM   #37
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by treky11
Frank - my 2 cents. Looks ok, we'll see when it comes out! But a pro car with plastic shocks, cmon. Even the video on the HPI site shows the guy had metal shocks. One hopup on the list !!
I thought the R40 kit I saw in the box had aluminum shock bodies...
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 11:09 AM   #38
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just in case I didn't make myself perfectly clear... let me go on the record as saying I was only pointing out that the claims of an incredible debut at Revalations was based on heresay... I was only disputing those "claims"... I WAS NOT BASHING the car.. In fact...I am delighted that HPI is finally stepping into the very competitive arena of nitro sedan racing...with a very promising looking car BTW. Let's face it... HPI...has the biggest marketshare worldwide...if the R40 is a success...then it could only help the hobby by reaching out to more and more newcomers.... THAT... is the big picture of the Day!
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 11:17 AM   #39
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank McKinney
Didn't the Serpent Impact first come with plastic shocks? I don't remember any complaints about that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I suppose there's a possibillity of a US release of an optioned-up kit with aluminum shocks and a few other extra parts but I don't know about it personally. Every manufacturer has to balance a racer's budget versus a racer's desire for option parts so this first version of the car has a couple of things on it that a diehard racer might replace straight away or a casual racer would leave on. As far as I'm concerned the car doesn't need options except maybe for a one-way if that's what works better for you and your track.

We can't make one version of the car for every style of driving, track size, surface type, etc., so I suppose we took a middle of the road approach with a lean towards minding the budget and getting the car in racer's hands at a good price.
Hpi makes plenty of budget cars,this car should have had all the goodies on it from the start.If they want that "TOY CAR" reputation to go away this car needs to have everything out of the box.

By the way doesn't the 705 still have plastic (composite)shock bodies with aluminum caps?
alvinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 11:22 AM   #40
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

old habbits...die hard... at least put the one-way in it Franky.

Alvinm. yes... even the veteq came w/plastic shocks.. FWIW.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 11:35 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You guys kill me with the negativity. If someone was seriously bashing your car and calling it a "toy car", you guys would be going beserk. If you don't like HPI's products, why waste time posting to the thread. I have owned Impulses and NTC3's and found negative points in those cars too. However, I don't bash them when asked by new racers wanting the product. The problems that one racer has with a certain brand of car does not mean the next person will have the same ills.

My point is, if you don't like what HPI puts on the market, that is your business. Why not post the positives on the threads concerning your brand of car, helping other that race your brand and quit negatively bashing a product you know nothing about.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 11:39 AM   #42
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by alvinm
Hpi makes plenty of budget cars,this car should have had all the goodies on it from the start.If they want that "TOY CAR" reputation to go away this car needs to have everything out of the box.

By the way doesn't the 705 still have plastic (composite)shock bodies with aluminum caps?
So it comes down to either a $500+ full option car or a "toy car"? I guess we can't please everyone all the time.

And if the 705 still comes with plastic shocks, has hard to find and expensive parts, has an even smaller racing team than HPI worldwide, etc...how does HPI deserve all the bashing?

- - -

When it comes down to it, just wait for a guy at your track or local shop to get it, check it out for yourself and decide based on what you see. It can't be made much simpler than that.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:50 AM   #43
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank McKinney
has an even smaller racing team than HPI worldwide, etc...how does HPI deserve all the bashing?
A smaller team it may be but not small by the amount of successes...

Wouldn't it be worse having a bigger team and not having at least the same amount of achievements of a smaller team? Just something to ponder... Don't get me wrong. I'm here not to bash the product. Just trying to put things into perspective.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 11:58 AM   #44
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by JLock
You guys kill me with the negativity. If someone was seriously bashing your car and calling it a "toy car", you guys would be going beserk. If you don't like HPI's products, why waste time posting to the thread. I have owned Impulses and NTC3's and found negative points in those cars too. However, I don't bash them when asked by new racers wanting the product. The problems that one racer has with a certain brand of car does not mean the next person will have the same ills.

My point is, if you don't like what HPI puts on the market, that is your business. Why not post the positives on the threads concerning your brand of car, helping other that race your brand and quit negatively bashing a product you know nothing about.
You got it all wrong,I'm not bashing.On the contrary(sp)I want this car to succeed as a racer.I want the option of buying this car if it does well,I don't want anyone with an advantage over me at the track.You are only kidding yourself if you don't believe hpi has made toys as far as competitive racing is concerned.Once upon a time they made a good race car because there was no others but times have changed and they didn't.Hopefully this car will change that.You also don't have to spend $500 for a race ready car.This car is only slightly cheaper then what i paid for my mugen so it shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by alvinm; 07-31-2003 at 12:11 PM.
alvinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 02:54 PM   #45
Tech Adept

Serpent 950 comes with composite shockbodies... It still seems to be a pretty good car...
johan is offline   Reply With Quote