R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-24-2003, 10:52 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Spring question....

I was reading a post on here regarding set-up information, etc....and saw different colored springs referenced for the HPI RS4 3 SS car. I saw that a lot of people were recommending the "yellow" and "green" springs for that car. Are those the Linear or Progressive rate springs? The same colors are available in both styles of spring but nobody mentions which style they are recommending.

For reference I just put the green progressive springs on the front of my SS and it made a HUGE difference; went from bad understeer to slight oversteer. Now I need to soften the rear I believe. It currently has the black progressive springs on it. My guess is try the yellow progressive spring next.
KMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 12:16 PM   #2
Que
Tech Adept

Look at the website for spring rate information
www.hpiracing.com
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 01:07 PM   #3
Tech Regular

I've got that info, but when someone mentions the colored springs they don't say whether they're the linear (25mm) or progressive (29mm) springs.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:13 PM   #4
Que
Tech Adept

Grab your self a good set of calipers or even a metric ruler
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 02:13 AM   #5
Tech Master

Most commonly, HPI guys use progressive springs, because that is what comes stock, and so they usually stick with progressives, but even though I no longer have an HPI nitro, I feel that I prefer linear springs to progressive springs.

While trying both types might not be appealing to you, it is something I might suggest to see what you prefer.

Que:
What are you answering? Those are both answers he knows, and has stated in his posts.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 06:09 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Thank you. Yesterday, I put the yellow linear on the rears but it didn't seem to do much. I think I will remove the sway bar from the rear. I can't tell that it is doing anything at all, and may actually be hurting me.

BTW, anybody ever race on a tennis court surface. We have a local track that is on some unused tennis courts. The green and red paint seems to make for a VERY slick surface. It's nearly impossible to carry any speed into a corner. I spent the entire evening smacking retainers that I don't normally hit. Not to mention the multi-colors and the white lines are very distracting when there's no correlation between them and the track layout. Now I know why I never see anybody there.

Nickels worth of free advice: If you're considering putting a track on an old painted tennis court------don't.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:17 PM   #7
Tech Master

what kind of tires would you be using? Slicks would be best. Tire choice is more important than suspension tuning in almost all cases (unless your suspension is way whack). I can't offer you much advice due to the very different type of racing surface you use, but most any slick should do quite well compared to treaded tires, and since it is just for fun, I would go with something relatively cheap, with pretty good grip and long wear such as losi yellow compound slicks.

Also, if you are running on a slick surface, don't use swaybars.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 04:48 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Tires are the HPI Pro Compound radials. They are pretty decent on most parking lots, but stunk up the tennis court track. Not a big deal, though, I won't be running that track again.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:15 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Lythion

Actually, I would think that a prepped tennis court would be very grippy.
Lythion is offline   Reply With Quote