R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to petevette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
Imo this will be a fun class and should work in some areas plus the car looks bad ass....lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesisG4 View Post
no opinion formulated yet...but dang that is one awesome looking machine!
I am with you guys, on the one hand I am concerned about diluting a class since it happend with me on the 235mm, but I miss that class and this would be someone closer to it then the 200mm. Got to admit, it looks sweet!
petevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:55 PM   #17
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
WRONG!!!

If you make the cars handle better then the engine guys will make more powerful engines (and more expensive) and then the chassis guys will make cars better suited for these bodies....and it goes round and round until no one can afford it any more.

LEAVE 200MM TOURING CAR ALONE!!! IT'S FINE THE WAY IT IS!!!
..exactly........... .12 motors are expensive enough already......the last thing nitro touring needs is motors equalling the cost of a .21........at which point you might as well run 1/8...........
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:58 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey guys I think this is a great idea for any track that is interested in bringing the 235 class. I think they marketed(sp) it all wrong but thats a different subject.

I myself loved the 235/200 outlaw class. I did run it a few years ago in the region 9 SWS races. I however I ran a 200mm car in the class and did managed a win and placed very well over the few years that the class was around here.

I just wish this kit was around then. My only compant about the 200mm cars were that they were to twitchy(full speed and really big tracks). This kit would (if roar would of alowed it) have made the 200mm outlaw car just a little easrier to drive and that might have helped.

Well Jlock once I can get my hands on this conversion I would love nothing more then to get with you and some of the old SWS guys and run some 235 somewhere.

I do like the kit!!!!!! Then again all I have are 200mm chassis.
Joe Maxey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you cant control the 200mm TCs the way they are raced right now, you need a lot more practice.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:09 AM   #20
Tech Champion

Look at the positive side, current prices to buy superior .12 engines are very expensive. They are averaging $400 - $450 a piece.

If we can buy OS .18TZ ( cheaper, and I'm sure .18TZ is as fast as $450 engines ), then why not use .18 TZ as official engines for GPR ? Everyone feel happy, the car become very fast but still at affordable price.

Secondly, some people don't have "group A" driving skills despite they already copied Mike Swauger setup in their car. With wider tires front and rear, the car itself become easier to drive. I'm sure, they feel happier because they can control the car like never before.

Finally, the cost to race probably go down a bit, tires might last the whole race. Engine price are kept minimum. Most importantly the fun factor get higher, because of the wider tires.

Only time will tell GPR class is a hit or sucks.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:14 AM   #21
Tech Champion

And don't forget, people with "group A" driving skill, as we can imagine : they can make the car turn faster, achieve better lap times, and feel very satisfied afterwards.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:59 AM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
Look at the positive side, current prices to buy superior .12 engines are very expensive. They are averaging $400 - $450 a piece.

If we can buy OS .18TZ ( cheaper, and I'm sure .18TZ is as fast as $450 engines ), then why not use .18 TZ as official engines for GPR ? Everyone feel happy, the car become very fast but still at affordable price.

Secondly, some people don't have "group A" driving skills despite they already copied Mike Swauger setup in their car. With wider tires front and rear, the car itself become easier to drive. I'm sure, they feel happier because they can control the car like never before.

Finally, the cost to race probably go down a bit, tires might last the whole race. Engine price are kept minimum. Most importantly the fun factor get higher, because of the wider tires.

Only time will tell GPR class is a hit or sucks.
............................I agree with you put a modified .18TZ in there and you will have one heck of a car!!
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:03 AM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
WRONG!!!

If you make the cars handle better then the engine guys will make more powerful engines (and more expensive) and then the chassis guys will make cars better suited for these bodies....and it goes round and round until no one can afford it any more.

LEAVE 200MM TOURING CAR ALONE!!! IT'S FINE THE WAY IT IS!!!
............................Wrong!! leaving the 200mm class just the way it is will cause it to go the route of the dinosaur extinct. Advances in engine technology will continue regardless of whether or not the car manufactors keep up up.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:13 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

with the looks of this conversion, it looks like it to be more of a spec class option with the one shore tire............. This might work in one area, but here in florida, speeking for myself, (not the masses), I've seen firsthand how racers are reluctant to change.

Racing is expensive in any form. With attendance down already and with the economy in a slump, more racers won't be coming out this year, causing the further downturn in attendence.

Forgass discontinued the outlaw/235 class at least 2 or 3 years ago due to the lack of entries, and Roar discontinued outlaw from the Sedan Nats this year due to the low number of racers running the class.

If someone cannot control a 200mm car with what is out thier right now, you need to work on setup and drive time. I don't see how adding more power and wider/bigger tires is going to help them get any better.

Now on the other hand, if it was a group of 1/8th racers that are looking for something to fill the gap between when the big tracks run, this could be the thing for those racers to run on the smaller tracks.

In the right place and time, this could work, but right now might not be the best time. As a person who usually runs out and gets everything that comes down the road, I will wait on this one and untill 5 or more get this in my area.

YES< I am editing the post... the original post is untouched and what I now want to say is that after being the first in the area to get the car and drive it, it is easy to drive and is much faster than sedan. This class I do feel will take off and become a great class, just need some more exposer.

Last edited by rcfoolz; 09-30-2008 at 06:13 PM.
rcfoolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:27 AM   #25
Tech Master

Hey guys I think the cars look really cool and lola bodies make the cars seem easier to drive. I think it would be fun for a club to run these cars since they are sedan chassis with wider tires and lola bodies. I have to think it would be good for any club to do this to bring back racers they have lost... Keeping Roar 3 port rules in place. No outlaw pipes and engines..... Would keep racing affordable.
rangulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:45 AM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Easier to drive? Why do you guys want your cars easier to drive? If your car is difficult to drive, maybe it's not set-up correctly. Or maybe you want it to be easier because your smashing into the boards all the time or not winning every race. Well, that's not the car, that's you. Buy yourself an electric car with a stock motor and 4 cells and see if that's easier to drive. Chances are, the people that want their car easier to drive are going to be the same people smashing their car into the boards with new, cool looking, wider tires.
Hey, here's an idea. Find the fastest most winningest (?) guy at your track and see what he drives. Then, buy all the exact same stuff and give it him. Tell him you'll pay for him to race, buy his fuel, tires, put a body on it with your name all over it, you know. Then, when he wins, you can tell everyone how YOU won. It's not that crazy,,,how many Nascar owners drive their own cars?

Please don't dilute the pool any worse than it already is. This will not help the sport grow, make you (look like) a better driver, or feed starving people on the other side of the globe.

Let this die.

(okay, i'm done )

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:13 AM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The car does look cool but I thought the whole point of racing was the challenge of trying to get the setup on your car to meet the demands of the track you are racing at on that given day. Sure the .12 engines are more powerful now than ever and the cars can be a handful but if you can't handle that much power and find it difficult to drive then you just need more practice. Developing a conversion to make the 200mm sedan easier to drive is defeating the purpose. I agree with one of the previous posts. It's a money grab for Kawahara. The 200mm class is fine the way it is and splintering it into another class at 220mm will only reduce the number of racers. But maybe that's a good thing if it's the drivers who tend to be a bit more reckless than others. Just my 2 cents.

G4RS
Speyederjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:45 AM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohead5300 View Post
............................Wrong!! leaving the 200mm class just the way it is will cause it to go the route of the dinosaur extinct. Advances in engine technology will continue regardless of whether or not the car manufactors keep up up.
How do you figure leaving 200mm alone means it will go away? It's the opposite! When you have too many versions of one class it tends to destroy the whole class. 235mm is the best example of this!

Look at electric touring car. First there was stock and modified. Then people stopped racing mod because it got too expensive. Then came 19 turn. Now there's brushless, LiPo, and combinations of both that everyone is screaming for. Where have most of the racers gone? To nitro off road, where none of this goes on.

200mm wide cars, 30mm tires, sedan bodies and .12 engines. With those limitations technology will still improve but more slowly, which will keep the cost of racing down compared to unlimited technology.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:57 AM   #29
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMD View Post
Easier to drive? Why do you guys want your cars easier to drive? If your car is difficult to drive, maybe it's not set-up correctly. Or maybe you want it to be easier because your smashing into the boards all the time or not winning every race. Well, that's not the car, that's you. Buy yourself an electric car with a stock motor and 4 cells and see if that's easier to drive. Chances are, the people that want their car easier to drive are going to be the same people smashing their car into the boards with new, cool looking, wider tires.
Hey, here's an idea. Find the fastest most winningest (?) guy at your track and see what he drives. Then, buy all the exact same stuff and give it him. Tell him you'll pay for him to race, buy his fuel, tires, put a body on it with your name all over it, you know. Then, when he wins, you can tell everyone how YOU won. It's not that crazy,,,how many Nascar owners drive their own cars?

Please don't dilute the pool any worse than it already is. This will not help the sport grow, make you (look like) a better driver, or feed starving people on the other side of the globe.

Let this die.

(okay, i'm done )
When you said all that, are you presenting your opinion to be consume for your own rc club or for the whole world ?

I check your organisation vorra.org, and read the race report, and I can understand why you made the sentiments to a japanese company trying to make a new class. Why ? because your club only have 20 people racing in it, and sometimes only 1 group doing the racing. ........ I know it's going to hurt the club itself by sharing 200mm class with 220mm class.

Lets compare to other states, other rc clubs, or other countries which might have more people show up racing weekly on sunday. There could be enough racers coordinating among themselves to accept 220mm class. ....... you never know right ?

My point is, lets be neutral.

Peace !!
Old 04-17-2008, 10:12 AM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

let me ask a stupid question......
why not run these with the touring cars if there are low car counts..a class within a class? If there ends up being enough of both then run separate. Not unlike Grand Am.
genesisG4 is offline   Reply With Quote