R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-21-2003, 09:08 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Where To Get 26mm Slicks??

Hi Everyone,
I have a ntc3 and my tires are worn out. I am running on asphalt (NOT TREATED) and i'm looking for some high performance tires for a good price. Everywhere i look, all i see are 24 MM TIRES ! NOBODY MAKES GOOD WHEELS THAT LOOK LIKE REAL ONES IN 24 MM WHEELS. Anyways, i'm looking for really good tires and i can't find them. Maybe i'm looking in the wrong places. Please help me as i can't run my car.

THANKS
CJ DUDLEY
NTC3
NTC3 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 09:22 PM   #2
Tech Master

Well, you've got a dillema. There are really not many good 26mm rubber tires. Do you prefer performance, or looks? That is what it comes down to. HPI is the best 26mm tires, and if yokomo has 26 mm tires (not sure) then those would be the best, but Sorex, Take-off and Yokomo 24mm tires are the kings. I prefer Sorex (since we can't get much of a flow of Take-offs locally) and they are superior to HPI tires by quite a lot.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 09:37 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

I went to yokomo's website and it looks like they have some great tires! The only thing is, i couldn't tell if they were 26 or 24 mm tires. Sorry i'm such a dummy, but could someone please tell me which are which. Thanks for the advise Im2lazy.

THANKS

CJ DUDLEY
NTC3
NTC3 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 09:40 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

Try the low profile lossi yellows, use firm hpi inserts. good grip in 80 to 90 degree weather and the stay pretty consistant. 5 to ten times longer run times than any other rubber tire I have used.
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:31 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

The Losi tires provide good grip. I used to run them on my big heavy Impulse with no problems. I think proline makes some 26mm slicks.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 01:31 AM   #6
Tech Master

Unless you are driving on concrete rather than asphalt, the Losi yellows aren't a very good choice. Proline's touring car tires have just been outclassed by the competition. HPI tires are better than proline tires. They are no where near Yokomo, take-off, sorex or Team Orion (like the ones at the worlds in south africa) tires that are produced. The losi and proline tires are, plainly, quite antiquated. Any of the other choices I've listed will be much better. Also, prolines have horrible wear if you want any half-decent amount of grip.

I agree with the assesment that yellow compound losi's last forever, but they really are quite a bit slower than today's high traction rubber... but if you don't race, it will probably be of little importance.

In the A-main at our track for rubber tire nitros, we only run sorex. One or two might use Yokomo's, but that is it.

As for inserts... if a tire company makes good tires, they make good inserts, period. HPI inserts are a wide favorite because of the range, so are yokomo's. I love sorex inserts, and take-off, echo and JB inserts are also good choices. Avoid the Losi 'glue-job' inserts. If you've seen it, you know.

Take my advice as you see fit as you are the only one that can judge properly what characteristic you hold most highly, but having raced nitro cars on rubbers for 4 years has taught me what works & where; and what just sucks all over the place.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:42 AM   #7
Tech Master

hey kyle,

how much more do 36r's grip than 40r's?

because im gonna buy a new set of tires soon and i dont kno weather to get 36r's or 40r's

btw,
YGM
me43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 01:55 AM   #8
Tech Master

If at all possible, get both; because you never know how the track conditions will turn out.

for instance, during the enduro, my 36R's were my savior as I had planned on only using 40Rs, but it was overcast almost all day, and the track temp never even got higher than 116. 40Rs were horrid. However, last weekend 40R's got me from 5 on the grid to second place by the end of the day. It was a huge difference.

If you want just one tire, I would say 36R's with blue inserts, but in the middle of the day, they will overheat faster. I suggest you drill out the rims you use with two 1/8 inch holes on opposite sides. It seems to help a bit with overheating.

If you feel like 40R's I suggest red HPI inserts (possibly orange, but I liked red because it doesn't roll over as much as orange inserts do... folding over causes that little crease you see on some tires). Don't drill out any holes in the rims with 40Rs.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:00 AM   #9
Tech Master

ok

i guess i will get 36r's with blue inserts
since i already have 40r's with reds
Old 07-22-2003, 08:51 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Lythion

Great thread!

I thought that I would pipe in and mention that I just threw a set of the Orion Fresh Kicks on this past weekend and was very pleased. The hard compound held up well on a very abrasive track. The softs ended up grooving a bit but I believe that excessive negative camber is the culprit.

I have run Take Off 24mm before and had problems with them coming unglued. HPI makes good tires/inserts but I prefer to get them premounted. You lose a little flexability but its a great deal for the price.
Lythion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 07:26 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I think HPI, Sorex, And Yokomo are the best out there. When our Track alowed HPI tires, I used 33R with green inserts and it was the hot ticket. I use Sorex 24R with Red HPI inserts for carpet, and Yokomo 139M or 139G with yok 039F inserts. Hpi Makes good 26mm tires too. I think they makes slicks but it;s always easy to find the x-patern tires.

-Sushi Boy
Old 07-23-2003, 10:05 PM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Lythion
...The softs ended up grooving a bit but I believe that excessive negative camber is the culprit....
I believe I may have mentioned it before, but the most common reason for a groove to form on the inside edge of a tire is too thin of an insert or more commonly an excessively soft insert. As temp or traction raises, you need harder inserts because the tires sidewalls begin to deform excessively during very hard, high speed cornering.

I personally prefer to glue my own tires, because I know I won't be doing it wrong. I mean gluing tires is easy enough to do before qualifiers, so they will be fully cured by the mains. Plus I do some mods to the wheels like differing vent hole sizes and using different wheels for different conditions (which is something I hardly ever have the motivation for though).

Sushi boy, what kind of a surface do you race on? Because with HPI tires, have way less traction on asphalt than Sorex tires. No one using HPI's are even on the same lap as the top 4-6 guys. Usually they are 2 laps down on a 20-24 second track (we change it up).
Old 07-24-2003, 01:23 AM   #13
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Lythion

I noticed on the grooved tires that the outside shoulders were not worn at all. This is what makes me suspect that 2 deg. might be a little too much.
Lythion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 01:18 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Im2lazy
Sushi boy, what kind of a surface do you race on? Because with HPI tires, have way less traction on asphalt than Sorex tires. No one using HPI's are even on the same lap as the top 4-6 guys. Usually they are 2 laps down on a 20-24 second track (we change it up).
We ran on a clean, smooth, swept off track. Probably the highest traction in our area. No one ran sorex, I was the only one who did once or twice. They were always faster, but I couldn't just go down to my local hobby shop and buy them becasue no one stocked them. I just used what was readily availible and got the most out of it. We use the Take-off Spec tires now, and they seem to hook up good too. But Sorex will always be faster..... I feel Hpi tires are good, you just have to know how to set your car up on them. I've always been plenty fast with them when I used them, and thats what I could get locally so I used them.

-Sushi Boy
Old 07-24-2003, 06:19 PM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by bbntc3
Try the low profile lossi yellows, use firm hpi inserts. good grip in 80 to 90 degree weather and the stay pretty consistant. 5 to ten times longer run times than any other rubber tire I have used.
i may try these for qualifying since there really really cheap