R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-03-2008, 12:00 AM   #106
Tech Adept

I have never run kyosho before, this is my first car. does the evo2 run 0mm front and rear tires, or should i buy an offset?

i am looking at the new lite twister tires. any difference between the "serpent" style compared to the "kyosho" styled rims?

the kyosho style rims have a 2mm offset on rears which has confused me.

thanks.
implusepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:19 AM   #107
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by implusepro View Post
I have never run kyosho before, this is my first car. does the evo2 run 0mm front and rear tires, or should i buy an offset?

i am looking at the new lite twister tires. any difference between the "serpent" style compared to the "kyosho" styled rims?

the kyosho style rims have a 2mm offset on rears which has confused me.

thanks.
You guys must be getting everything from overseas, anybody waiting to build an evo2 from kyosho america is just waiting right now. I have one on the first backorder list, the rumor is that 3 exist right now and just imagine which of the top drivers must have them. I heard Tosolini because he is through Sirio/Kyosho Japan and Ron Atomic, not sure on the 3rd, maybe Joel or Jimmy?

The evo2 went back to kyoshos roots, and back to everyone elses design of running 0mm front and rear wheels. Why they honestly went to 2mm in the first place on the last car is a slight mystery to me. Some say that moving the hex 2mm inside the wheel gives the 30mm wide rear wheel strength and rigidity. Some say marketing.. I have never had 0 and 2mm of the same wheel next to eachother to try for myself but I personally run the Twister Kyosho style 0/2mm wheels on the evo wc because I feel they are better than the Serpent style in 0/0mm but I will wait to see why the geometry is different in the Evo2 to require 0mm rears.

The Twister Serpent style is just that, it looks like the old serpent wheel that isn't really available anymore but they were the original designers that I know of so they are still credited. RB and (previously) Jaco copied the Serpent style as well except RB is made by the same place that makes Twister.

The Kyosho style is a spoked version made with a harder material, it flexes less and is slightly more prone to breakage (especially when cold) if you hit too many things.

Twister also has Pro-Light versions of both these wheels, same material for both styles and 3-5 grams lighter per wheel depending on what you compare with (serpent style are heavier than kyosho style) but again you don't want to hit much with these. They are strong, but you will see the plastic fatique from opaque white to white in some places as they age.

https://ActivRC.com http://TeamPowersUSA.net https://www.1upracing.com/ http://TeamAssociated.com
Brian Bosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #108
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bosley View Post
You guys must be getting everything from overseas, anybody waiting to build an evo2 from kyosho america is just waiting right now. I have one on the first backorder list, the rumor is that 3 exist right now and just imagine which of the top drivers must have them. I heard Tosolini because he is through Sirio/Kyosho Japan and Ron Atomic, not sure on the 3rd, maybe Joel or Jimmy?
Not sure why you guys get the kits so late.

Anyways, in our local club race yesterday, a guy with an EVO2 made it to the As first time. He had been racing for quite some time now but hasnt really made top 10 and now he is one of the top guns.

Impressive show of the new car i must say.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #109
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to barg

Hey guys,

Quick update on the debut of the new car here in Australia. We had the Queensland State Titles on the weekend at the home of the 2005 1/10th worlds.

I finished building the car on Thursday and put it on the track after running in some new engines on my RRR EVO WC. The WC felt ok but the Evo 2 felt awesome from the moment I put it on the track. It was very stable and smooth. It had tons of grip, loads of steering and was extremely stable.

The only issue I had was with the gearbox slipping and not changing into 2nd gear cleanly after a min or two of running. This I ended up tracing back to the lube I had put on the cams spewing onto the 2nd gear. Once I had pulled the gearbox apart and cleaned the lube out it ran flawless. I even had my car underweight with a titanium screw kit and lightweight servos. This was a first for me as my other RRR`s are always overweight.

I didnt get to try the new clutch. I ran the 3d clutch to start with but then went back to the std 2d off the old car which ran great. Will try the new clutch next weekend at my home track.

The car was extremely fast and helped me qualify top 4. Had some dramas in the final with engine tune at the start but had made my way back to 4th when the body got caught on the back wheel. The marshall fixed the body for me but put the car onto the straight without looking and I was cleaned up on the left rear full speed by another car. This ripped the whole left rear of the car clean off. It was a shame as the car had been handling great and was so easy to drive.

Other than the gearbox issue which was my fault the car ran without a problem. I gave it the big thumbs up and im already thinking of ordering another one to replace my WC.

Cant wait to go back for the nationals in October at the same track.

HEI International | www.hobbyexpress.com.au
www.nswrcrcc.com
barg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:46 AM   #110
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by barg View Post
Hey guys,

Quick update on the debut of the new car here in Australia. We had the Queensland State Titles on the weekend at the home of the 2005 1/10th worlds.

I finished building the car on Thursday and put it on the track after running in some new engines on my RRR EVO WC. The WC felt ok but the Evo 2 felt awesome from the moment I put it on the track. It was very stable and smooth. It had tons of grip, loads of steering and was extremely stable.

The only issue I had was with the gearbox slipping and not changing into 2nd gear cleanly after a min or two of running. This I ended up tracing back to the lube I had put on the cams spewing onto the 2nd gear. Once I had pulled the gearbox apart and cleaned the lube out it ran flawless. I even had my car underweight with a titanium screw kit and lightweight servos. This was a first for me as my other RRR`s are always overweight.

I didnt get to try the new clutch. I ran the 3d clutch to start with but then went back to the std 2d off the old car which ran great. Will try the new clutch next weekend at my home track.

The car was extremely fast and helped me qualify top 4. Had some dramas in the final with engine tune at the start but had made my way back to 4th when the body got caught on the back wheel. The marshall fixed the body for me but put the car onto the straight without looking and I was cleaned up on the left rear full speed by another car. This ripped the whole left rear of the car clean off. It was a shame as the car had been handling great and was so easy to drive.

Other than the gearbox issue which was my fault the car ran without a problem. I gave it the big thumbs up and im already thinking of ordering another one to replace my WC.

Cant wait to go back for the nationals in October at the same track.
Glad to hear that it went so well (until that breakage). Can you share with us what has changed so that the Evo2 use 0mm offset?
Old 08-04-2008, 02:54 AM   #111
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riketsu View Post
Glad to hear that it went so well (until that breakage). Can you share with us what has changed so that the Evo2 use 0mm offset?

Well from what I can tell the arms and hubs are the same. What has changed is that the upper link now use a longer plastic ball cup on one half. The axles have also changed and no longer do you need the spacer before mounting the hex. This allows you to screw out the ball cups a little further. There is still plenty of thread where they are screwed in. Drive shafts may be longer but I havent checked them.

I did have an issue when I narrowed the car down to 198mm with the driveshafts binding when using the o-rings as per the kit instructions. So be careful. This was the only time the car didnt handle. Traction rolled. But luckily I found this pretty quickly.

www.nswrcrcc.com
Old 08-04-2008, 04:18 AM   #112
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by barg View Post
Well from what I can tell the arms and hubs are the same. What has changed is that the upper link now use a longer plastic ball cup on one half. The axles have also changed and no longer do you need the spacer before mounting the hex. This allows you to screw out the ball cups a little further. There is still plenty of thread where they are screwed in. Drive shafts may be longer but I havent checked them.

I did have an issue when I narrowed the car down to 198mm with the driveshafts binding when using the o-rings as per the kit instructions. So be careful. This was the only time the car didnt handle. Traction rolled. But luckily I found this pretty quickly.
Barg, do you mine to share with us the setting. Are there any extreme changes in setting between RRR Evo compare with the Evo2?
esham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:02 AM   #113
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

I had Ron pull a rear dogbone out of his Evo 2 this weekend and I measured it. It is 2 mm longer than the dogbone I run on the back of my Evo WC. I didn't look at the upper camber link, but as was posted earlier, you just use a slightly longer ball cup to get the extra length. The rest of the rear end is the same. You just use longer dogbones, longer ball cups on the camber link and unscrew the pillow balls. Then use the zero offset rear wheels.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:18 AM   #114
Tech Master

So really, they are making an extremely slight geometry change in the rear by going back to 0mm the way they are. Could be higher or lower roll center, with less drastic gain due to the additional length.

They didn't change any of the bulkheads or front RC's from what I hear so we're basically working with the same car here except maybe some CG differences. I can't wait until kyosho america gets their shipment and ships mine out.

https://ActivRC.com http://TeamPowersUSA.net https://www.1upracing.com/ http://TeamAssociated.com
Old 08-04-2008, 08:25 AM   #115
Tech Elite

So... In conclusion these things were the ones that changed:

-Chassis
-Upper Deck
-2nd Speed Gear Box
-2nd Speed Spurs
-Rear Dogbones/Axles (Guess they will change it to CVDs once the other one comes out)
-Clutch
-Hex Screws instead of the other ones

Am I missing anything???
Old 08-04-2008, 10:20 AM   #116
Tech Master

Quote:

-Chassis
-Upper Deck
-2nd Speed Gear Box
-2nd Speed Spurs
-Rear Dogbones/Axles (Guess they will change it to CVDs once the other one comes out)
-Clutch

Am I missing anything???
Remember this is not a WC kit, it will have dogbones and lack certain features we are used to seeing in the evo wc

Old 08-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #117
Tech Elite

Quote:
Remember this is not a WC kit, it will have dogbones and lack certain features we are used to seeing in the evo wc
Yeah... That what I was referring to when the "other" one comes out, the WC...
Old 08-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #118
Tech Master

Quote:
Yeah... That what I was referring to when the "other" one comes out, the WC...
Ron Atomic told me that kyosho isn't going to be doing a WC version, which may or may not mean anything but I think they are going for the after market a little more heavily after seeing the success of the xray car and the parts people buy. spend $450 and then another $300 to get it running, talk about luxury! although they did a little better on the '08 spec, it's still not on par with the EVO WC box stock to box stock. I know they're both out their winning races, but we all know none of the factory team drivers for either team run the box stock car entirely.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #119
Tech Elite

Quote:
Ron Atomic told me that kyosho isn't going to be doing a WC version, which may or may not mean anything but I think they are going for the after market a little more heavily after seeing the success of the xray car and the parts people buy. spend $450 and then another $300 to get it running, talk about luxury! although they did a little better on the '08 spec, it's still not on par with the EVO WC box stock to box stock. I know they're both out their winning races, but we all know none of the factory team drivers for either team run the box stock car entirely.
That would suck really... If they are not bringing out an Evo2 WC version... Wouldnt it be cheaper to buy a new Evo WC and convert it to Evo2? Rather than buy an Evo 2 and convert it to WC?
Old 08-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #120
Tech Master

Quote:

-Chassis
-Upper Deck
-2nd Speed Gear Box
-2nd Speed Spurs
-Clutch

Am I missing anything???
New Servo saver.
New Rear Shock Tower.
New Side Belt Tensioner.
Harder Plastic???? (I think so anyway).

www.nswrcrcc.com