R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #991
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by blount View Post
I also found that if you run the rear belt to loose it will wear out the 21T rear pulley faster. And those can be hard to find at times

If you run the older RRR 2sp shaft and pulleys then the belt will last longer. You also have less rotating weight. The older system uses a plastic brake pulley that is driven by a pin. Also uses a pin-driven cam to drive the brake disc. The down side to this system is that the pulley wears more quickly and the rear belt is more difficult to change. Obviously another downside is that you have to spend some money to change over the car. The pulleys probably came with the car but you need a 2sp shaft, a few more 2x11 pins and a brake disc.

FYI: Yblsow's lightweight 2 speed shaft has the flat spots for the aluminum pulley/current system and has the holes for the pins used on the older RRR cars.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #992
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
If you run the older RRR 2sp shaft and pulleys then the belt will last longer. You also have less rotating weight. The older system uses a plastic brake pulley that is driven by a pin. Also uses a pin-driven cam to drive the brake disc. The down side to this system is that the pulley wears more quickly and the rear belt is more difficult to change. Obviously another downside is that you have to spend some money to change over the car. The pulleys probably came with the car but you need a 2sp shaft, a few more 2x11 pins and a brake disc.

FYI: Yblsow's lightweight 2 speed shaft has the flat spots for the aluminum pulley/current system and has the holes for the pins used on the older RRR cars.
Scott, is that what your using, the old style? It's not really that big of an issue, just something I found out while racing for the last 6 months. Do you think it's a MUST to have the light-weight 2 speed shaft? Will it make that much difference?
blount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #993
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Blount,

You did a great a race last weekend, if I'm not mistaken most of the top spot were taken by Kyosho, I hope I can place mine in the mix next race, the engine is almost ready...
- F1 - F103RM (Out of the Box! No upgrades needed)
RC-ProSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:23 PM   #994
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-ProSpeed View Post
Blount,

You did a great a race last weekend, if I'm not mistaken most of the top spot were taken by Kyosho, I hope I can place mine in the mix next race, the engine is almost ready...
Thanks, but I'm far from where I want to be. I will really have to step it up for this Sunday.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #995
Tech Elite

Quote:
Scott, is that what your using, the old style? It's not really that big of an issue, just something I found out while racing for the last 6 months. Do you think it's a MUST to have the light-weight 2 speed shaft? Will it make that much difference?
I run the older style on my car. None of this is a must. I did it for two reasons. It saves a bit of rotating weight that is also up kinda high in the car and the rear belt lasts longer. You don't have to use a lightweight shaft, you can certainly run a stock Kyosho 2sp shaft but once again the hopup shaft will save some rotating weight that is up high in the car. Also I know he will have titanium shafts availabe for the Kyosho any day now and they last a long time. Its not the kind of part that you have to replace every few races.

If you use the Kyosho 2sp shaft you have to order one from the older RRR car that has holes for pins instead of the flat spot. I just mentioned the YBSLOW shaft because not only does he sponsor me but it works with either setup.... the newer or the older system.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #996
Tech Addict

Quote:
I run the older style on my car. None of this is a must. I did it for two reasons. It saves a bit of rotating weight that is also up kinda high in the car and the rear belt lasts longer. You don't have to use a lightweight shaft, you can certainly run a stock Kyosho 2sp shaft but once again the hopup shaft will save some rotating weight that is up high in the car. Also I know he will have titanium shafts availabe for the Kyosho any day now and they last a long time. Its not the kind of part that you have to replace every few races.

If you use the Kyosho 2sp shaft you have to order one from the older RRR car that has holes for pins instead of the flat spot. I just mentioned the YBSLOW shaft because not only does he sponsor me but it works with either setup.... the newer or the older system.
Which titanium shafts are referring to?
Old 04-22-2009, 08:07 PM   #997
Tech Elite

Quote:
Which titanium shafts are referring to?
I am referring to the YBSLOW titanium 2sp shaft. He should have those as well as front layshafts at the end of next week.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:23 PM   #998
Tech Addict

Quote:
I am referring to the YBSLOW titanium 2sp shaft. He should have those as well as front layshafts at the end of next week.
Ok, thanks!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #999
Tech Master

What clutch do you guys likes the most, I'm currently using the one it came with the car (2D), any pro's/con's with this clutch?
Old 04-22-2009, 10:57 PM   #1000
Tech Elite

Quote:
What clutch do you guys likes the most, I'm currently using the one it came with the car (2D), any pro's/con's with this clutch?
I like that clutch with 4 weights and a grey shoe the best.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #1001
Tech Addict

Quote:
I was running the 3D for about 6 months. Not to bad. I was told the 4D is better with just using only 2 shoes. Right now I'm running the sirio power clutch. Big difference in acceleration out the hole. Should of switched sooner!
Old 04-23-2009, 09:18 AM   #1002
Tech Master

So the 2D and 4D is the same, the different is just on the number of weights you use?
Hope that's the case, that way I just need to find 2 more weights and give it a try...
Old 04-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #1003
Tech Initiate

Quote:
So the 2D and 4D is the same, the different is just on the number of weights you use?
Hope that's the case, that way I just need to find 2 more weights and give it a try...
No they are not the same the 4D clutch is the one used on the evolva which has 4 metal posts on the flywheel, the 3D has 3 and although i haven't seen a 2D i guess it has 2 posts.

Each one has different size and number of weights.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #1004
Tech Addict

Quote:
From my understanding there is no 2D. Just 3D and 4D. Some run the 4D with just 2-shoes.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #1005
Tech Initiate

Quote:
From my understanding there is no 2D. Just 3D and 4D. Some run the 4D with just 2-shoes.
My bad blount . A simple google search revealed that the 2D clutch is the same as the 4D but with only 2 weights, like you said