R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #301
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
From the picture it looks like he is using the Sirio Power Clutch.

If you don't have enough punch from the IDM engine with the Kyosho clutch, I think you don't have your clutch setup properly. Either that or your engine isn't running right. The IDM engine has sick bottom end power. If you are using the stock EVO 2 clutch, you should have the 2D clutch. Most I know of have been running that with the stock spring and 4 fly weights. I normally have used the grey shoe with that setup and usually have to detune the setup with the IDM engine.

I also have a Sirio EVO 4 STI engine and run it with the power clutch and it is also very punchy, but a bit more linear on its power band.
Scott,

You're probably right. I've only raced the kit once with my Ninja .12 and it was pretty good so I switched engines for this last weekend to see if my IDM would be better. We didn't have enough racers show up due to Hurricane Ike hitting so close to San Antonio so we didn't race. I didn't really get much track time or time to adjust the clutch. I think I need to remove a shim, it doesn't appear to have enough end play. I need to measure it and make sure I get .3 to .4 mm end play. Is the Sirio Power Clutch more aggressive than the stock 2d set up? And how much of a difference is there going from 2 weight setup to 4 weights?

Regards,
Speyederjedi
Speyederjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:16 PM   #302
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Michael_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speyederjedi View Post
Novarossi,

What clutch setup is it that you are using? From the photos it's not stock. Kit looks ready to rock. Nice motor and pipe selection. I'm currently running and IDM .12 in my RRR Evo 2 but am anticipating the arrival of my Sirio Evo IV motor and pipe setup. Please let me know how the clutch set up works out. I may be looking to change over from the stock setup. I need a little more punch from my clutch.

Regards,
Speyederjedi
It is the Sirio power clutch. I am taking it out this weekend, so will update you with how it goes.

BlueRC | www.bluerc.net
Michael_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:58 PM   #303
Tech Adept

Default Solid Spool - new material??

I have a standard RRR but this forum has been idle for a while...

Im using the universals (VZW054) which came with the RRR WC kit but after a while the spool's outdrives split/opened up and the universal's pins were getting pushed into the outdrives. In the forum they advised to use universal VZW219 which are 2mm longer with the spool which I will need to try out.

I purchased the Kyosho spool as well as the KM Racing spool.

My question is:
The spool I just got has a brown (almost rusty) colour compared to black for the original one I had.
Has Kyosho changed the material to make it stronger?
KyoshoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #304
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoshoKid View Post
My question is:
The spool I just got has a brown (almost rusty) colour compared to black for the original one I had.
Has Kyosho changed the material to make it stronger?
I have the same colour (see photos above), must be trying to copy XRAY

BlueRC | www.bluerc.net
Old 09-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #305
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novarossi View Post
It is the Sirio power clutch. I am taking it out this weekend, so will update you with how it goes.
Moorebank? I'll be rolling out my evo2 on Sunday too, using the 2D clutch and my OS Speed TZ Spec 2 so it'll be interesting to compare
Old 09-17-2008, 08:07 PM   #306
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Moorebank? I'll be rolling out my evo2 on Sunday too, using the 2D clutch and my OS Speed TZ Spec 2 so it'll be interesting to compare
Yep, Moorebank.

I am hoping to break in my 353 on Saturday so I don't waste half the club day running in the motor, and can concentrate more setup, still not sure if I can break it in before hand.

I also have a Sirio EVO4 with a 2611 pipe, so there will be alot learnt over the next couple of months.

Come over and say hi.

Michael.

BlueRC | www.bluerc.net
Old 09-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #307
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Will be at Morrebank to this sunday with my evo2 but won't be running. Still have a few more things to get sorted first like getting servo horns. Oh yeah just remember, still have the body to do as well
shiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:58 PM   #308
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

To answer a variety of questions.

The Kyosho spool for over a year now is not black. The grey/brown steel spool lasts a long time and you shouldn't have problems with it. The only real downside to the Kyosho spool is weight. The YBSLOW spool weighs less than half but of course being aluminum it will last about 4 gallons of fuel.

Regarding clutch comparisons:

I have never run the 2D clutch with only 2 weights. When I got my first 2D clutch I was told by my teammates that it was difficult to setup using only 2 weights. I never ran it that way.

The 2D clutch with 4 weights is better than the 3D. That is my opinion. It hits harder and I prefer it. I very rarely use the 3D clutch anymore.
I only have one Sirio power clutch and it has always been on my EVO 4 STI engine. I have never put a Kyosho clutch on Sirio engine so I cannot compare the Sirio clutch to the Kyosho clutch. When I ordered my EVO 4 STI engine I ordered the power clutch at the same time since my experience with the EVO 3 STI engine had told me a little more punch might be a good thing and I just assumed that the power clutch had been optimized for the Sirio EVO 4 engines.

My 2D and 3D clutches have been on several IDM EVO 3 sedan engines as well as a Novarossi 12-3 SCT tuned and I always have more bottom end with the 2D.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:09 PM   #309
Tech Elite

Hi Scott (or others).

What upstop / downstop settings are a good starting point for the EVO2? The setup sheet is in Japanese and I cannot make sense of it.

BlueRC | www.bluerc.net
Old 09-18-2008, 12:23 AM   #310
Tech Elite

Quote:
Hi Scott (or others).

What upstop / downstop settings are a good starting point for the EVO2? The setup sheet is in Japanese and I cannot make sense of it.
I usually start at 1 in the front and 4 in the rear.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:51 AM   #311
Tech Elite

How much sideway play do you guys allow on the gearbox?

There is probably 3-4mm movement side to side (not used to this amount of play with the NT1, MTX4R).

Do you guys shim it out, or is this normal on the Kyosho?

See photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Kyosho V-ONE RRR EVO 2-gearbox.jpg  

BlueRC | www.bluerc.net
Old 09-18-2008, 06:23 AM   #312
Tech Adept

Do the changes in the kit make major differences over the RRR WC kit or are they more subtle ?

Thanks
Maxamps Batteries
SRI Raceway, Louisville KY
fastrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:32 AM   #313
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

my first gear has about .5 of a mil of play and isn't 100% true, which I'm not used to either coming from an mtx4r. 3-4mm sounds a bit excessive tho

We'll compare cars on Sunday, mine'll be the black and white one, provided I finish cutting my body out
Old 09-18-2008, 08:21 AM   #314
Tech Elite

Quote:

There is probably 3-4mm movement side to side (not used to this amount of play with the NT1, MTX4R).

See photo.
That is normal, but I shim it to remove most of the play.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:30 AM   #315
Tech Regular

Quote:

See photo.
Novarossi,

Did you mean .30-.40mm movement??? Because 3-4mm is a major amount of play and I would say something is wrong with the way it was assembled if you have that much play. .3 to .4 mm is normal. If you're worried about that much end play you could shimm between the bulkhead bearing and 2 speed hub. This is what I've done in the past with the RRR WC and RRR Evo but I haven't done to my RRR Evo 2 and it hasn't had any gear problems or failures. Been running the kit for a month with the same gears and no problems what so ever. Haven't even broken anything on the car. AAHHH CRAP!!! I just jinxed it!! Guess I'll be replacing some parts this weekend. Shouldn't have said anything.

Regards,
Speyederjedi
Speyederjedi is offline   Reply With Quote