R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-22-2010, 01:06 AM   #2446
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Shakespear View Post
How is it wrong? If you lower the rear hingepin location for example, you make the slope/imaginary line from the rear arm going down faster/make it point downwards more, so where the camber link essentially joins up with these "imaginary" lines, it will be much lower, see what I mean?? Or is there something I've totally missed?
Read the info in the file attachment.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Roll center technical info.pdf (118.7 KB, 1809 views)
Old 10-22-2010, 04:04 AM   #2447
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the xxx main CHASSIS SETUP GUIDE i believe it is the original bible for RC.

well worth a look at and i believe it was writen by team KYOSHO drivers.
and hudy setup guide is worth a good read.
The_Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:58 AM   #2448
Tech Addict

I think I confused people a little.

With the first highlighted statement, I understand that is wrong. With the front arms, you can only adjust the pin location of the upper arm, so if you raise that location, you lower the RC, now I understand that one.

With the second statement, that applies only to the rear arms, I don't think I am wrong there.
If you lower the lower arms, you lower the roll center. I looked at the pictures and I still see myself as correct, maybe you thought it was being applied to the front. I don't know.
Im still learing D: Heck, I thought I understood the front RC and what does what, but I really understand only now! I just didn't see it inside my head (where most of my thinking comes from - nearly literally seeing it inside my head!)
I hope that clarified a few things, I know I cleared things up for myself!
Old 10-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #2449
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Keeper View Post
the xxx main CHASSIS SETUP GUIDE i believe it is the original bible for RC.

well worth a look at and i believe it was writen by team KYOSHO drivers.
and hudy setup guide is worth a good read.
Before getting this book, have you got a copy that you can show me Darryl? I'll be at Brendale this afternoon.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:50 AM   #2450
Tech Addict

Hey guys, thank for all the help. Here is a vid of last Sunday race http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_OEa...e_gdata_player
the first car is a mugen in some great hands of the top driver in Malta and his car looked awsome wished I had half his steering. Any ideas of setup would be greatly appreciated
speed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:07 AM   #2451
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
With the second statement, that applies only to the rear arms, I don't think I am wrong there.
If you lower the lower arms, you lower the roll center. I looked at the pictures and I still see myself as correct, maybe you thought it was being applied to the front. I don't know.
If you lower the rear arm's you're raising the roll centre. As the arms now sit lower then the original hinge points.
[[john]] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:35 AM   #2452
Tech Adept

hi,

I need this: vzw-54-03, but it is really expensive. Do you know whether I can use this from other kits like Xray, Sepent or Mugen...?
SebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #2453
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed6 View Post
Hey guys, thank for all the help. Here is a vid of last Sunday race http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_OEa...e_gdata_player
the first car is a mugen in some great hands of the top driver in Malta and his car looked awsome wished I had half his steering. Any ideas of setup would be greatly appreciated
He keeps tight lines doesn't he?

I am puzzled by queries about how to get more steering in a Kyosho. Steering is what we always have plenty of in these cars. It must come down to different driving style I suppose.

One thing though; how come the club doesn't use Le Mans type starting positions for gas cars? That kind of start is only used for electric cars Australia, and would not be allowed in here.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #2454
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickentrader View Post
He keeps tight lines doesn't he?

I am puzzled by queries about how to get more steering in a Kyosho. Steering is what we always have plenty of in these cars. It must come down to different driving style I suppose.

One thing though; how come the club doesn't use Le Mans type starting positions for gas cars? That kind of start is only used for electric cars Australia, and would not be allowed in here.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Actually its the track surface which is the main issue and everyone suffers from good steering at this track. Re driving style no matter how you drive i suffer to much from understeer but i will try 40 rear and 35 front and se what happens.

The start was introduced this year and it was nice, so we might keep it that way.
speed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #2455
Tech Addict

Quote:
If you lower the rear arm's you're raising the roll centre. As the arms now sit lower then the original hinge points.

Everywhere I have looked, if you lower the LOWER arms in the rear, the RC drops. Ive seen that in all the tuning articles I have ever seen, including the XRay T2 book:
"Lowering rear roll center --> Rear lower arm --> Lower the position of the rear lower arms inner pivot pin, using different suspension pin holders (lower value)."
Ive been saying this the WHOLE time, point out where I am wrong please!
Old 10-24-2010, 02:51 AM   #2456
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

go to page 29 on the nt1 setup book and you should get a good understanding, and this way you can compare the information to a nitro vehicle.

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/sho...p?file_id=3577

also shows the inner and outer pivots for the rear, and what adding shims under the rear camber link does.

also the effects of camber rise...
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:21 AM   #2457
Tech Addict

OK, not to be a wise-ass or anything, but I once again prove right in what Ive been saying:
-Lowering the inner hinge location of the rear lower arm = a lower RC in the rear.
-Increasing/Raising the inner hinge location of the front upper arm = a lower RC up front.

Only took 3 posts, 2 for the front, to get that point across the table so to speak, but where did the confusion come from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebO
hi,

I need this: vzw-54-03, but it is really expensive. Do you know whether I can use this from other kits like Xray, Sepent or Mugen...?
Ive searched over the net for the part you're after, and I can't find it. Are you sure the part number is correct? Can you tell us what it is? I can't find it in my book (Evo 2 WCTE) or online.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:35 AM   #2458
Tech Addict

Quote:
Just to get back to you on this:
Were you in this race??
With the guy dominating the start, his car seems to have the right diff oil and just enough toe-in in the rear to swing his car out from the corners, but enough to keep the control of it. Caster would probably be somewhere in the middle by the looks of it. Obviously I can't tell for sure, but he absolutely KILLED it!! (only watched until halfway)
If you're after more steering, try using less toe in the rear, go more toe-out in the front, softer springs/shock oil, 2mm split or less but only up to 1mm, .... I don't know, we have to see how you drive, maybe you just need some more steering throw from your transmitter, or move up the link on your steering servo.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #2459
Tech Adept

Quote:
Ive searched over the net for the part you're after, and I can't find it. Are you sure the part number is correct? Can you tell us what it is? I can't find it in my book (Evo 2 WCTE) or online.

hmm the no. is: VZW054-03, its the joint block set from the front and rear swing shaft .
SebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:34 AM   #2460
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
He doesnt have more steering, he knows how to use the breaks. I see that a lot, people think they need more steering when all they need to do is slow down a bit earlier. Slow in, fast out.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote