R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #2266
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

did you do a lot of modification to get those xray nt1 diffs fit? would you mind explaining it... thank you.
rowveg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #2267
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowveg36 View Post
did you do a lot of modification to get those xray nt1 diffs fit? would you mind explaining it... thank you.
they are almost direct fit. you just need to find 10x18mm bearings which is rather hard.

once you get the rear diff, you will see how you have to grind down the edges slightly because it is too wide (by 1mm or so) and I suggest you take the most length off the right side and then the rest from the left to help center the belt.

https://ActivRC.com http://TeamPowersUSA.net https://www.1upracing.com/ http://TeamAssociated.com
Brian Bosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #2268
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

where do you find the bearings?
SebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #2269
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowveg36 View Post
front diff - is a direct fit, just need some shims (10x12) to make it wider or else it would be too loose.. front diff will also require you to run the rear cvds at the front. (lucky i had some spare)... otherwise if you run a spool, you can just do the rear diff...

rear diff - needed some dremeling as its too wide. i dremeled the bulkheads as you rarly change the bulkheads, and i can change rear diffs easier, rather than modifying 2-3 diffs to fit the bulkheads.

the rear diff is also 1tooth/1mm smaller, so you need to make new holes to make the belt tighter.

run capricorn diffs, and you will save 20-30g per diff (40-60g rotational weight). xray diffs will save you about 10-15g per diff.

cant wait to test this out.. titanium main/mid shaft, titanium 2sp holder, lightweight brake holder, capricorn clutch, capricorn diffs... thats going to be one light drive-chain.. i havent ran my car since iv changed the entire drive-chain..

my car looks like a nt1 now :S, only thing giving it away are the shocks.. which are soon going to prob be nt1 ones aswell.

Last edited by LiL_JaSoN; 07-01-2010 at 06:51 PM.
LiL_JaSoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #2270
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Michael_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL_JaSoN View Post
only thing giving it away are the shocks.. which are soon going to prob be nt1 ones aswell.
Having built both, that would be a backward step. Kyosho shocks are renowned as the best in the business...

BlueRC | www.bluerc.net
Michael_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #2271
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novarossi View Post
Having built both, that would be a backward step. Kyosho shocks are renowned as the best in the business...
i was being sarcastic there ..

thats why i kept the kyosho shocks.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #2272
occ
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
front diff - is a direct fit, just need some shims (10x12) to make it wider or else it would be too loose.. front diff will also require you to run the rear cvds at the front. (lucky i had some spare)... otherwise if you run a spool, you can just do the rear diff...

rear diff - needed some dremeling as its too wide. i dremeled the bulkheads as you rarly change the bulkheads, and i can change rear diffs easier, rather than modifying 2-3 diffs to fit the bulkheads.

the rear diff is also 1tooth/1mm smaller, so you need to make new holes to make the belt tighter.

run capricorn diffs, and you will save 20-30g per diff (40-60g rotational weight). xray diffs will save you about 10-15g per diff.

cant wait to test this out.. titanium main/mid shaft, titanium 2sp holder, lightweight brake holder, capricorn clutch, capricorn diffs... thats going to be one light drive-chain.. i havent ran my car since iv changed the entire drive-chain..

my car looks like a nt1 now :S, only thing giving it away are the shocks.. which are soon going to prob be nt1 ones aswell.
Maybe you should have purchased a NT-1 or Capricorn to start with.
occ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:33 AM   #2273
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by occ View Post
Maybe you should have purchased a NT-1 or Capricorn to start with.
iv had my RRR for a while and didnt want to change... it already had all the upgrades on it.

i received the capricorn top-plate and etc for free from capricorn.

only thing i did was 'upgrade' the diffs because i wanted to make the car better..

and i guess because its more unique no one has the same car.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:24 AM   #2274
Tech Addict

Quote:

So capricorn diffs are a direct swap for the kyosho evo 2?

Any part numbers please? and a good place to buy them

Thanks
speed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:53 AM   #2275
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed6 View Post
So capricorn diffs are a direct swap for the kyosho evo 2?

Any part numbers please? and a good place to buy them

Thanks
no, capricorn diffs are same as xray, just lighter, and it has plastic carbon gears and lighter cups.

to fit xray/capricorn diff, you will require to do abit of dremeling and shimming...

also you will need 10x18 bearings - these are very hard to find, unless you know someone who has them, these bearings are going to cost you atleast $10-15 each. you will need 4 if covering front and rear.

if you convert the front, you will also need to run the rear cvds as the standard front will be too short...

i spent hours working out different ways to fit the diffs

lucky i saved on abit of parts. if you were to do a full conversion it would cost

bearings - ~$10ea x4 = $40
diffs - xray ~ $49 x2 = $98 (according to amain), capricorn would prob cost more.
rear cvd - $38 (according to amain)
shims etc - $10
$186+ - not including postage and whatever extra it cost for capricorn diff.

if you run spool and do the rear diff only, it will cost you half of that minus the rear cvd's ($38)
Old 07-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #2276
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebO View Post
where do you find the bearings?
vxb.com sells 10x18x4 bearings that you need at $5/each and you have to buy 10, you might want to pick up 10x12 shims as well to center the diff.

https://ActivRC.com http://TeamPowersUSA.net https://www.1upracing.com/ http://TeamAssociated.com
Old 07-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #2277
Tech Master

you can buy capricorn from team epic (trinity) in america at a cost of about $45 per diff complete.

here are some weights for the rear diffs

41g RRR diff, titanium shafts and drilled drive cups
35g Xray EC diff, drilled drive cups, not sure on the shafts, metal gears
25g Capricorn stock, drilled drive cups, plastic gears and aluminum shafts.

one note, I usually run 30k in my RRR diff. To get that same feeling I had to use 60k in the capricorn diff. The xray mold looks extremely similar to the capricorn mold, even the small molding dots are in the same place.

Unfortunately it's been raining non stop here in Houston so I have not been able to test anything other than it spins so the 1mm / 1 tooth size difference is unknown. the wheels rotates fewer rotations if you just spin the rear wheels and wait for the drivetrain to stop. I imagine this is the flywheel effect, being lighter it has less mass to continue its momentum.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #2278
Tech Fanatic

ill be testing mine next weekend.. got 60k rear, 100k front (heaviest i had)

will also post pics of the set up next wk.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #2279
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Brian?
how about the weight for the front diffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bosley View Post
you can buy capricorn from team epic (trinity) in america at a cost of about $45 per diff complete.

here are some weights for the rear diffs

41g RRR diff, titanium shafts and drilled drive cups
35g Xray EC diff, drilled drive cups, not sure on the shafts, metal gears
25g Capricorn stock, drilled drive cups, plastic gears and aluminum shafts.

one note, I usually run 30k in my RRR diff. To get that same feeling I had to use 60k in the capricorn diff. The xray mold looks extremely similar to the capricorn mold, even the small molding dots are in the same place.

Unfortunately it's been raining non stop here in Houston so I have not been able to test anything other than it spins so the 1mm / 1 tooth size difference is unknown. the wheels rotates fewer rotations if you just spin the rear wheels and wait for the drivetrain to stop. I imagine this is the flywheel effect, being lighter it has less mass to continue its momentum.
GREGORY! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #2280
Tech Addict

The Capricorn rear diff has a tooth less aswell?

This mod is quite expensive, is it really that worth it?
speed6 is offline   Reply With Quote