R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #1891
Tech Apprentice

So I'm not liking the tension on the rear diff belt. I've been reading that everyone chooses to run the belts as loose as possible to prevent any driveline binding.

My problem is that just as I roll the car forward on my dinning room table, I can see the belt walk across (from left side to right) the silver cog in front of the rear diff very quickly. Both cogs seems to be in perfect alignment but the best seems just too loose to me. The belt doesn't come off or anything but it worries me a bit lol.

Will this not be an issue when the car is under it's own power or do I need to take apart the whole rear to change the notches I have it set in??? Car is new and I haven't even fired up the engine yet.

Thanks!
Futaba BLS451 Digital Brushless High Torque/Speed Servos
Futaba 3PM-X 3-Channel 2.4Ghz FASST Radio System w/R603FF Receiver
92GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #1892
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GTA View Post
So I'm not liking the tension on the rear diff belt. I've been reading that everyone chooses to run the belts as loose as possible to prevent any driveline binding.

My problem is that just as I roll the car forward on my dinning room table, I can see the belt walk across (from left side to right) the silver cog in front of the rear diff very quickly. Both cogs seems to be in perfect alignment but the best seems just too loose to me. The belt doesn't come off or anything but it worries me a bit lol.

Will this not be an issue when the car is under it's own power or do I need to take apart the whole rear to change the notches I have it set in??? Car is new and I haven't even fired up the engine yet.

Thanks!
I assume by "silver cog" you are talking about the aluminum brake pulley. I run my belts loose. I would not worry about it. It will be almost impossible to have the belt come off as the rear diff will prevent it from happening. You can run it a bit tighter if you want. It isn't that involved to remove the 4 screws and lift out the piece to adjust the belt tension.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #1893
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIX View Post
are you positive about that
they feel more like a 40/42 shore
Wow if they feel like 40's to you, you need to send us some of your soft tires . They are 35's in the evo 2 wc kit.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:09 AM   #1894
TIX
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

i had a couple of people check them aswell and they all said they feel like 40-42 aswell
hence why im asking the question

TIX Race Designs. Plaig Bearings. Thunder Innovations
TIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #1895
Tech Elite

Quick question, if you had your way what is the one single part you'd improve on the Evo 2?
Old 02-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #1896
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mid belt tension pully, not to good and keep twisting after a little use.
chovden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #1897
Tech Elite

Smaller/lighter diffs.

Chovden: What problem are you having with the side belt pulley? I havent had an issue with any of the pulleys in over 3 years of running the RRR.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #1898
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the plastic triangle seem to twist forsing the belt to jump of and run on the inside of the bearings, it has happened on my Evo2 and on my shimo.
Maybe I am doing something wrong?
I build it after the instructions but after a while the belts jumps off.
chovden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #1899
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chovden View Post
the plastic triangle seem to twist forsing the belt to jump of and run on the inside of the bearings, it has happened on my Evo2 and on my shimo.
Maybe I am doing something wrong?
I build it after the instructions but after a while the belts jumps off.
same thing happens to me except i run the frp triangle piece so i have to replace my center bulkhead to straighten it out again.

https://ActivRC.com http://TeamPowersUSA.net https://www.1upracing.com/ http://TeamAssociated.com
Brian Bosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #1900
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chovden View Post
Mid belt tension pully, not to good and keep twisting after a little use.
I use the FRP one that came in the Evo 2 kit and I haven't really noticed any twisting but i'll take a look at it now that you've mentioned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
Smaller/lighter diffs.

Chovden: What problem are you having with the side belt pulley? I havent had an issue with any of the pulleys in over 3 years of running the RRR.
I have questions on smaller lighter diffs, i've seen discussion of composite diff gears and how well do you think they will hold up to the stresses of nitro racing? Will they be one of those "change before the main" type parts? Actually how often should i be changing my big steel diff gears now!?

I think the Capricorn car has composite gears in it's diffs.

What kind of issues would we face if we reduced the size of the internal gears of the diffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bosley View Post
same thing happens to me except i run the frp triangle piece so i have to replace my center bulkhead to straighten it out again.
!!?? Really?! hmm my side belt kept popping off at Ft Myers when i hit the outside board of the back stretch and i'm wondering if that is why!?
Old 02-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #1901
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YmeBP View Post
I use the FRP one that came in the Evo 2 kit and I haven't really noticed any twisting but i'll take a look at it now that you've mentioned it.

!!?? Really?! hmm my side belt kept popping off at Ft Myers when i hit the outside board of the back stretch and i'm wondering if that is why!?
I don't think I've ever let mine get bad enough to let the belt slip, but make sure you are running the right 384t belt and not the 387t belt.

If they were running clockwise like the last time I was there, those barriers are horrible to tap and hitting on your pipe side would pop the pipe into the front pulley and may stop it briefly enough while you are WOT for the belt to skip completely off. I think I've had this happen like once on the RRR ever and I run a really loose side belt (all of them actually)

https://ActivRC.com http://TeamPowersUSA.net https://www.1upracing.com/ http://TeamAssociated.com
Brian Bosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #1902
Tech Apprentice

metheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #1903
Tech Apprentice

Default fort myers

sorry guys for coming on to your thread Mr. bosley doesnt think i should,does anyone else feel offended by me being here asking a simple question about the direction of the track in florida...

Last edited by metheny; 02-17-2010 at 08:57 AM.
metheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #1904
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Speedypeterb

Quote:
Originally Posted by metheny View Post
Have they ever raced the track backwards there ? maybe its the short shoot that you could hit and do that...
I don't think they have run it backwards in any official race. its funny you mentioned that because after the race this past week Toso and I were talking on how running backwards would be a very interesting race, especially if they only announced it just before the race. Also have not had an issue with side belt jumping off, but did have an exhaust spring eat up one side of the tensioner pulley.

I do not run my belts super loose like some, interesting note during the winternats that I also noticed on Toso's rear belt moving back and forth and I told him his rear rear belt was to loose, he told me to tighten it one notch and I did. The slightly tighter belt didn't affect the smoothness of his drive train. On high traction tracks if belt is too loose, it could skip and start unnormal wear. Just my opinion
Old 02-16-2010, 07:31 PM   #1905
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by YmeBP View Post

I have questions on smaller lighter diffs, i've seen discussion of composite diff gears and how well do you think they will hold up to the stresses of nitro racing? Will they be one of those "change before the main" type parts? Actually how often should i be changing my big steel diff gears now!?

I think the Capricorn car has composite gears in it's diffs.

What kind of issues would we face if we reduced the size of the internal gears of the diffs?

I very rarely have had the side belt pop off, or pop over the tensioner. It has happened, but very rarely.

Regarding the diff gears: I don't know how well the composite diff gears will last. The stock metal gears pretty much last forever.