R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-15-2009, 11:46 PM   #1636
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bosley View Post
I think they have a heavier tray, my car with the heaviest tray from YBSlow (58g maybe?) plus NIMH and 1.5oz of weight and I was coming in at 1726-1730 at nationals. Don't under estimate light servos and titanium screws.
He does make a heavier brass tray if needed.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:00 AM   #1637
Tech Master

Thanks guys for your replies and sharing your experience, sounds like I'm on the right track here.

The new 7940 servos are slightly heavier (15gr together if I'm correct) than my current futaba brushless servos so a little increase there.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:26 AM   #1638
wad
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wad Send a message via MSN to wad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
Don't think so. Are you coming to the Paris race?
I can't get friday off from work, but will try my best to be there saturday morning.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:08 AM   #1639
Tech Addict

Quote:
I go 1.1mm of thread showing past the spring retainer. .4 gap with minimum endplay.

Wouldn't 1.1mm of thread give the clutch to much punch? or the extra .1 in the gap would smooth it?

Thanks
speed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:45 AM   #1640
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed6 View Post
Wouldn't 1.1mm of thread give the clutch to much punch? or the extra .1 in the gap would smooth it?

Thanks
It really depends on the engine and the grip level on the track.

For me, .3 would bog the engine way too much and not let my car come out of the hole the way I would want.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #1641
Tech Addict

Guess i will need to try different settings

By the way my first and second alum gears are getting chewed quite fast whaever the mesh tight - loose.

Is this a normal issue, shall i use steel gears? or maybe their is a hop up which can whitstand more abuse
Old 10-17-2009, 01:13 PM   #1642
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Kyosho RRR

Quote:
Guess i will need to try different settings

By the way my first and second alum gears are getting chewed quite fast whaever the mesh tight - loose.

Is this a normal issue, shall i use steel gears? or maybe their is a hop up which can whitstand more abuse
They do not make a steel spur gear for the RRR.
If the mesh is correct, you spur gears will last quite a long time.
Check your spur/pinion mesh, check your rear lay shaft for wear, bearings for the rear lay shaft,clutch bearings,pinion gears for wear for starts.
There are many reasons why you are going through spur gear so quickly, and it could be the mesh is too loose, too tight, of parts have worn to where there is play between the spur/pinion gears
I have had my spur gears on my RRR for well over a year, and they still look great.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #1643
Tech Addict

actually the plastic spur gears are quite fine its the aluminium gears that are getting chewed.

I tried a tight mesh with obviosly a bit of play and i tried a mesh typical buggy / truggy.

The two of them didn't work.

I heard that you really have to tighten them, do i have to tighten them as if they are binding?
Old 10-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #1644
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default RRR

Quote:
actually the plastic spur gears are quite fine its the aluminium gears that are getting chewed.

I tried a tight mesh with obviosly a bit of play and i tried a mesh typical buggy / truggy.

I heard that you really have to tighten them, do i have to tighten them as if they are binding?
It sounds like your pinion gears may be worn out. If the very outside tip of the pinions are very sharp and to a point, then they are worn out.
Try new pinion gears and when you set the mesh, rotate the gears very slowly until you find the tightest mesh between the pinion/spur gears. Back the mesh just a touch, and then tighten the down the engine support bolts.
There is always a loose/tight spot bewteen the spur gears and pinion gears.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #1645
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

use steel pinion gears they last alot longer then the aluminium gears that should solve your problem

BRCCC
elche_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:27 AM   #1646
Tech Elite

Quote:

The aluminum pinions do wear a bit fast. The first gear pinion will wear faster than the 2nd gear pinion. You can run steel pinions and pretty much they will last forever, or at least run a steel first gear pinion.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:19 AM   #1647
Tech Addict

Quote:
The aluminum pinions do wear a bit fast. The first gear pinion will wear faster than the 2nd gear pinion. You can run steel pinions and pretty much they will last forever, or at least run a steel first gear pinion.
True the first get chewed quite fast. I think i will try the 1st in steel, any part numbers or brands

Thanks guys
Old 10-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #1648
Tech Elite

Quote:
True the first get chewed quite fast. I think i will try the 1st in steel, any part numbers or brands

Thanks guys
Kyosho is the brand. I listed both 1st and 2nd gear pinions

VZW215-15
VZW215-16
VZW215-17

VZW066-20
VZW066-21
VZW066-22
VZW066-23
Old 10-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #1649
Tech Addict

Thanks Scott
Old 10-19-2009, 07:04 AM   #1650
Tech Apprentice

I'm using the stock bearings, and I found out that one of the bearing, the one nearest to the hex hub. It was gritty when i tried to spin it. seems like there's dirt in it. any help to removing it?
AdrianOngs is offline   Reply With Quote