R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-01-2009, 02:11 AM   #1606
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)
Send a message via MSN to Alex Siddique

this might help

Droop is sometimes associated with downstop. This is both correct and incorrect.
Droop refers to the amount that the chassis travels downward after the car is dropped
and the wheels touch the ground; it is also the amount that the chassis travels upward
before the wheels lift from the ground.
Droop is in large part affected by the downstop setting, but is also affected by ride height
adjustment.
A higher downstop setting creates a smaller gap between the downstop setscrew and
the chassis at rest. This smaller gap reduces the amount that the chassis rises before
the wheels lift from the ground. The result is a smaller droop value.
A lower downstop setting creates a larger gap between the downstop setscrew and
the chassis at rest. This larger gap increases the amount that the chassis rises before
the wheels lift from the ground. The result is a larger droop value.
INITIAL STEPS SET-UP COMPONENTS:
Prepare the car as follows: Use the following set-up components:
Shocks: Attach the front and rear
shocks.
Anti-roll bars: Attach front and rear
anti-roll bars.
Wheels: Attach the wheels. Both left
and right wheels at the front or rear
should be the same diameter.
Small ruler
MEASURING DROOP
You measure droop with the car ready-to-run.
1. Place the car on the set-up board.
2. Push down and release the front and
rear of the car so that the suspension
settles.
3. Place the ruler vertically beside the
chassis, so that you can see how much
distance there is between the flat surface
and the bottom of the chassis.
4. Keeping the ruler in place, slowly lift the
chassis at its centerline. The chassis rises
slightly until the wheels just lift from the
set-up board.
5. On the ruler, note the distance to the
chassis bottom. The amount that the
chassis rose before the wheels lifted is the
droop value.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 for the other end of
the car.
7. Adjust downstops to change the droop
values.
0mm
DROOP AND RIDE HEIGHT
When you use rubber tires on your car, you can set a particular downstop value to get
a particular droop value, and then forget about it. Rubber tires do not wear appreciably
during use, so the droop value should not change.
However, when you use foam tires on the car, things become a bit more complicated. You
will have to constantly adjust ride height and downstop settings to maintain a particular
droop value.
Consider the following situation:
You have foam tires of a particular diameter. You have adjusted your downstop settings
and your ride height settings. There is 2mm of front droop and 1mm of rear droop.
After you race the car for a short time the foam tires wear down to a smaller diameter,
which decreases the ride height. So you now adjust the shock spring preload to
increase the ride height to a proper value again.
Increasing the ride height causes the chassis to raise up slightly, which decreases the
amount of space between the downstop screws and the chassis. The result is that the
droop values are now reduced, so the car will handle differently.
(In extreme cases when you have to increase the ride height a lot, the droop may
completely disappear as you increase shock spring preload. If you increase the spring
preload so much that you remove all droop, the ride height will not increase no matter
how much preload you set since the downstop screws are tight against the chassis and
do not permit the chassis to rise).
In this situation, to maintain a certain amount of droop you need to loosen the
downstop screws slightly as you increase the ride height. You must alternate between
adjusting ride height and downstop settings to maintain a particular droop value. This
must be done equally on left and right sides of the car.
ADJUSTING DROOP
You adjust droop by adjusting downstops. To increase the droop value, decrease the
downstop setting. To decrease the droop value, increase the downstop setting.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:29 AM   #1607
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

interesting write up, made me think about a few things
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:24 AM   #1608
Tech Fanatic

thanks to Mr Hudy.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:31 AM   #1609
Tech Addict

Thanks people nice write up, but no one mentioned how to use of droop gauges or you don't recommend them?
speed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:44 AM   #1610
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

if you look at the kyosho setup sheets there is a reference (up stop down stop) as to where the droop is measured from with the droop blocks, hard to explain exactly but most of the time its the lowest point on the arms.
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:32 AM   #1611
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed6 View Post
Thanks people nice write up, but no one mentioned how to use of droop gauges or you don't recommend them?
Those gauges you are talking about are down stop gauges. unless you sit down and make a relations table btw ride height + tire diameter + down stop value= which will give you a particular droop value , you cant measure droop with them gauges (if i am wrong pls correct me ) as Droop refers to the amount that the chassis travels downward after the car is dropped and the wheels touch the ground; it is also the amount that the chassis travels upward before the wheels lift from the ground.
this is how i measure droop .
lets presume your car is symmetrical and balanced front to back and left to right .
(lets say we are trying to work out the droop of the rear end on the car )
have your car on a level flat board with all wheel on it.
and say you have setup ur car with down stop value of 2 mm.(rear)
and you have setup your car to a ride height of 5 mm
now press down on the rear end of the car few time to let the shock settle . lets say ur ride height still measure at 5mm.now keep ur car steady and push a ride height gauge right in the center (use a slopping ride height gauge rather then a step up ride height gauge. )
so now ur ride height gauge is rite under the center at the back end of the car . now push the ride height gauge under the chassis(keep the car steady in one place) till the wheel just lift of the the flat board . now measure the figure on the ride height gauge . Now lets say the value where the wheel are just in air and not touching the board is 9 mm .
So your droop is 9 mm - 5 mm = 4mm . so your car droop's 4 mm . this is how i measure droop.
a 2 mm down stop will give you different droop value with different ride height and tire diameter. hope it makes sense . its past my bed time
Old 10-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #1612
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrcraceway View Post
Those gauges you are talking about are down stop gauges. unless you sit down and make a relations table btw ride height + tire diameter + down stop value= which will give you a particular droop value , you cant measure droop with them gauges (if i am wrong pls correct me ) as Droop refers to the amount that the chassis travels downward after the car is dropped and the wheels touch the ground; it is also the amount that the chassis travels upward before the wheels lift from the ground.
lets presume your car is symmetrical and balanced front to back and left to right .
now press down on the rear end of the car few time to let the shock settle . lets say ur ride height still measure at 5mm.now keep ur car steady and push a ride height gauge right in the center (use a slopping ride height gauge rather then a step up ride height gauge. )
so now ur ride height gauge is rite under the center at the back end of the car . now push the ride height gauge under the chassis(keep the car steady in one place) till the wheel just lift of the the flat board . now measure the figure on the ride height gauge . Now lets say the value where the wheel are just in air and not touching the board is 9 mm .
So your droop is 9 mm - 5 mm = 4mm . so your car droop's 4 mm . this is how i measure droop.
a 2 mm down stop will give you different droop value with different ride height and tire diameter. hope it makes sense . its past my bed time
Thats is how i measure my droop but i am sure that its far from perfect and i am quite aperfectionist.

When i have the blocks and droop gaug which can make life much easier.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #1613
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrcraceway View Post
You are correct the blocks only measure downstop values. But it is some what standard that to set the droop we use the down stop method. If you look at a top drivers setup sheets; It's most likely that he or she used blocks to set the droop. I believe most setup sheets don't list it as droop but rather downstop setting. I believe using the blocks gives a more accurate measurement rather than lifting the chassis.

In the end it's all reletive. As long as you use the same method everytime
I personally use the block method.

Pass you soon...
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo

Last edited by lil-bump; 10-02-2009 at 02:51 PM.
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #1614
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-bump View Post
You are correct the blocks only measure downstop values. But it is some what standard that to set the droop we use the down stop method. If you you look at a top drivers setup sheet It's most likely that he or she used blocks to set the droop. I believe most setup sheets don't list it as droop but rather downstop setting. I believe using the blocks give a more accurate measurement rather than lifting the chassis.

In the end it's all reletive. As long as you use the same method everytime
I personally use the block method.

Pass you soon...
So with the block and gauge, where and what do you measure exactly the underneath of the front and rear knuckles ?
Old 10-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #1615
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed6 View Post
So with the block and gauge, where and what do you measure exactly the underneath of the front and rear knuckles ?
Yes, You measure the lowest point on the front and rear steering knuckles.
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #1616
Tech Regular

Default clutch assembly!

On the clutch assembly, what are the dimensions for the two bearings that goes into the clutch bell and the dimensions of the thrust bearings also! please let me know thankyou!
LAM3SAUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #1617
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAM3SAUCE View Post
On the clutch assembly, what are the dimensions for the two bearings that goes into the clutch bell and the dimensions of the thrust bearings also! please let me know thankyou!
1 = 5 X 10 X 4 = INNER BEARING
1 = 5 X 8 X 2.5 = OUTER BEARING
Thrust bearing is 4.8 X 10
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #1618
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze View Post
1 = 5 X 10 X 4 = INNER BEARING
1 = 5 X 8 X 2.5 = OUTER BEARING
Thrust bearing is 4.8 X 10
Hi Sam! haha your the man to go to! i was going to call in but it is sunday do you have any of these in stock?! if so how much?! Thankyou!
LAM3SAUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:55 AM   #1619
Tech Addict

Hi guys, so did some different setup how you suggested and the car did handle way much better BUT.........

Yesterday i found out the following

1. Excessive tyre wear next to others. I am running 37 Fronts with 40 Rear are giving me around 7 min run time next to others that are running 15min easily with the tyres still in a good shape.

2. Front left wheel ( the one that has the most traction and beating as we turn mostly right hand side ended up as if i had lots of positive camber event though i am running 3 degree neg camber.

suggestions pleazzzzzzzzzz

Thanks guys
Old 10-05-2009, 08:26 AM   #1620
Tech Adept

Default off set in a high an bumpy track

Hi Scott
Which set up will give more rear traction, 2mm off set or 0 mm off set?
Thanks in advance
Arushmen is offline   Reply With Quote