R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Machine! View Post
I get my plugs from Kamikasze. They are around $8-9 but they are high quality and I could probabally run the same PICCO plug 3 to 1 compared to a McCoy or novarosi or other turbo plug. When I ran the REX motor, I changd the plug almost after every day of racing. I finally blew my first PICCO plug after about 1 and a half months of racing with the same motor. maybe I'm just lucky, but I don't think so.
I thought it was just me but I've been running the same plug since February. It was the same way when I was running my Mega DSII .21 plus aka....Picco P9R.
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riketsu View Post
The only thing stopping me from getting one of these engines is glow plugs... If anyone can tell me where to get a glow plug of Piccos for less than $5 a piece, I will order right now a JLR... And since im talking about glow plugs... Are Sirio glow plugs or OS glow plugs compatible with this engine???

As far Sirio I believe that is a Novarossi based plug so that won't work, OS plugs only fit OS engines. I used to run LRP plugs for Picco based engines.
The (LRP z12r Spec III) LRP plugs can be had on the bay for about 6.33 plug but that includes shipping. $5.00 is not to bad. I paid $4.50/plug for my Novarossi cold plugs and thats dealer price. The OS plug is the worst. I can't get that plug less than 8.00/plug. I heard the Ninja plug was close to $10.00//plug
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

get the picco tuned ,I have both the evo3 and tuned and the picco tuned gave me a bigger smile especially when I passed all the cars running evo3s on the track, well worth the extra $100smile:
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Machine! View Post
I dunno Sherman, Steve's car is pretty fast. It's a blur up until something solid stops it.

If you go fast, and with the JL you do, then you gotta stop faster.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:26 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstorm76 View Post
I thought it was just me but I've been running the same plug since February. It was the same way when I was running my Mega DSII .21 plus aka....Picco P9R.
You have it since February ??? and only 1 plug ?? WOW.

Anyway, my friend who poison me to get JLR Red Dot, he has picco glow plug that already last 3 race meeting. It's awesome..... I wish
Novarossi read this, and don't under estimate picco.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riketsu View Post
The only thing stopping me from getting one of these engines is glow plugs... If anyone can tell me where to get a glow plug of Piccos for less than $5 a piece, I will order right now a JLR... And since im talking about glow plugs... Are Sirio glow plugs or OS glow plugs compatible with this engine???
Here is what I can tell you. I race the IDM engines in onroad and my play truggy has a Sirio CL7B STI engine. According to the IDM importer he has been told by Ielasi that Sirio plugs are fine in the IDM engine. The Kyosho team manager runs OS plugs in his Sirio.

Do the math.... Picco, Sirio, and OS plugs seem to be interchangeable. I also have run an OS plug in my Sirio, but I have never put a Sirio plug into my IDM engine. Also, I agree that the IDM/Picco plugs do seem to hold up exceptionally well.

Last edited by Scott Fisher; 04-02-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Scott Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:20 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

For whatever reason they lowered the timing profiles of the EVO 3 engines... Now the tuned version has a shim under the liner that brings it back right to the same specs as the EVO 2 I got to thinking and wondering why they would detune a EVO 3 and it all comes back to the aggressive port timing on the EVO 2 is fast but is picky to its pipe selection. You throw a 2607 pipeset on a EVO 2 or a Tuned EVO 3 and u got yourself a rocket! And lets not even talk about the modified ones I do... Over 1.2HP and over 38 Oz/In of TQ Now THATS power from a .12!!! I am VERY impressed with the JLR engines. I cant believe they are priced so low.. But thats Picco for you. More bang for the buck!! So I wont argue with that

BTW XRC mag has a X-Dyno test of the EVO 2 in there mag this month. Highest .12 tested to date in stock form at 1.13HP and 36Oz/In.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:14 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
Here is what I can tell you. I race the IDM engines in onroad and my play truggy has a Sirio CL7B STI engine. According to the IDM importer he has been told by Ielasi that Sirio plugs are fine in the IDM engine. The Kyosho team manager runs OS plugs in his Sirio.

Do the math.... Picco, Sirio, and OS plugs seem to be interchangeable. I also have run an OS plug in my Sirio, but I have never put a Sirio plug into my IDM engine. Also, I agree that the IDM/Picco plugs do seem to hold up exceptionally well.
Scott, Daniele's plugs are Sirio plugs. Just talked to him on Sunday and he confirmed it.

IMHO, he chose them because the are the least expensive plugs (in Italy) and they hold up great.

With Picco based engines, you can use OS, Picco, Sirio and LRP plugs, of which the latter are crap, sorry :-)
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:10 AM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt4g63 View Post

BTW XRC mag has a X-Dyno test of the EVO 2 in there mag this month. Highest .12 tested to date in stock form at 1.13HP and 36Oz/In.
You sure? Have you taken a look at a Orion CRF .12?
Baedarlboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:46 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Scott, Daniele's plugs are Sirio plugs. Just talked to him on Sunday and he confirmed it.

IMHO, he chose them because the are the least expensive plugs (in Italy) and they hold up great.

With Picco based engines, you can use OS, Picco, Sirio and LRP plugs, of which the latter are crap, sorry :-)
Well... if I can use OS plugs in a picco based engine... I might just go out and get one for myself... Has anyone tried this? Like actually installed a OS plug and run their engine without any leaking problems?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:14 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Red Dot/ OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baedarlboo View Post
You sure? Have you taken a look at a Orion CRF .12?
I have had three Orion CRF 12s,<still have two boxed up> and to me, they are nothing more than a paper weight. I also know of a couple of drivers at the track, and they are of the same opinion. Even with the Orion clutch system, they just do not seem to live up to the expectations.
On the other hand, I have three Red Dots, and also the latest Red Dot tuned version. These engines are nothing short of mini rockets.
I even pulled out my Novarossi 12+3 modified from my MTX4R, and put in the tuned version Red Dot.
For us that live on the west coast, and get the opportunity to see Jeffery Lin run his Red Dot, it is nothing short of amazing.
For myself, and many of the other drivers, it is hands down Red Dot tuned version.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:20 AM   #27
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc358 View Post
I have had three Orion CRF 12s,<still have two boxed up> and to me, they are nothing more than a paper weight. I also know of a couple of drivers at the track, and they are of the same opinion. Even with the Orion clutch system, they just do not seem to live up to the expectations.
On the other hand, I have three Red Dots, and also the latest Red Dot tuned version. These engines are nothing short of mini rockets.
I even pulled out my Novarossi 12+3 modified from my MTX4R, and put in the tuned version Red Dot.
For us that live on the west coast, and get the opportunity to see Jeffery Lin run his Red Dot, it is nothing short of amazing.
For myself, and many of the other drivers, it is hands down Red Dot tuned version.
send the orions over, and i'll make use of them (other then paper weight)....
Baedarlboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:30 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

all the talk about plugs.
i still have my IDM evo 3. although after 15lts of fuel it needs a rebuild.
but i had the head button off it one day, i had OS P7, novarossi, and Ninja 6 plugs at hand. novarossi didnt seal properly. we all gather that. now when i put in the OS plug, it sealed, but it protruded into the chamber, didnt sit flush with the head button. i then tried the ninja plug. perfect seal and it sat where it needed to be, flush wiht the head button. i ran about 4 meets on one plug, anly blew (and didnt drop the coil) after the engine had lost compression and lost power. so i will stick with the ninja plug, as they are easy to source here in AU. but guys who are running the OS plugs, do check the fitment yourself. it will increase compression a little for sure, but i wouldnt run it, as i felt it would interfere with the combustion process too much. Ninja plugs work fine if they are easy to source for you.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:40 AM   #29
Tech Regular

I haven't run the sirio plugs in my JLR's. The Picco plugs are more expensive but they LAST forever. 5 race meetings and it still ran strong. I don't know why I even changed it!

I have run the OS plugs in my JLR. I wasn't pleased. There was no leaking problems, but performance seemed to drop off just slightly.

The only thing I can say about the JLR's .....as with any race engine.......is stay on top of rod maintenance. If your running on smooth tracks with no bumps I'll get about .75 to 1 gallon of fuel through the motor before changing the rod.

If the track is bumpy.....I'll change the rod after .5 gallon or less. Bumpy tracks where the tires leave the ground on bumps is EXTREMELY hard on connecting rods. That regimen goes for all my motors.
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:45 AM   #30
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello View Post
JL EVO 3 is Faster.

What do you have against a JL? nitrodude is only telling the truth.
Chill dude, I'm just teasing my friend