Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
? on what engine to get ? >

? on what engine to get ?

Old 12-22-2001, 12:05 PM
Tech Regular

yes, i am tring to decide on an engine for my new car, i got the new trinity reflex, what i am woundering is if you guy's have any prefs on which engine to buy, i have been out of nitro for about 4-5 years so i don't know what is the hot bad ass motors ar out there now.i might race it but i am just looking for the best to go with, and what pipe also.thanks alot .and merry christmas........
Old 12-22-2001, 12:12 PM
zxt
Tech Regular

Default anything with "rossi" in the engine

is good.
Old 12-23-2001, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

collari .12Tmod
JP.12
Novarossi RS12T
RB X-12T
Old 12-23-2001, 09:51 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: ? on what engine to get ?

1. JP Modified MT12T (Claimed 1.6hp)
2. RB X12 5 ports
3. Novarossi RS12T
4. Novarossi MT12T

These are the engine I would get! But need to keep this in mind, the more power it puts out the shorter life it would get!
Old 12-24-2001, 05:46 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: ? on what engine to get ?

Originally posted by Ah10
1. JP Modified MT12T (Claimed 1.6hp)
2. RB X12 5 ports
3. Novarossi RS12T
4. Novarossi MT12T

These are the engine I would get! But need to keep this in mind, the more power it puts out the shorter life it would get!
Ah10....do you know where I can get more info on that JP-MT12T?
I looked at JP's website, it's not listed.
Old 12-24-2001, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: ? on what engine to get ?

Originally posted by got_speed?

Ah10....do you know where I can get more info on that JP-MT12T?
I looked at JP's website, it's not listed.
I know for sure Pegasus in Montclair has it! I was there last Thursday and there were 2 different guys got it along with the new Nitro TC3.

Oh they call this engine: JP Black MT12, they are selling it at $209.95 and they said it's 1.60hp but I dont have any data to back it up but it should be close or may be just right around it!

The only problem that I see from this engine is since it is Novarossi base MT12 Turbo engine but modified by JP, they probably lighten the crank shaft and bore out the crank, and bore out the carb(I have seen it with my own eye, that carb is big, I mean big!). Reliablilty is one major issue!

If I had to choose, I would probably go for either RB X12T 5 ports or Novarossi RS12T due to reliability issue! and if these engine is tuned right it shouldnt be too much far off! of course it will need to have perfect combination with equiments, set up and driver!

I may be wrong but just my $0.02!
Old 12-24-2001, 08:55 PM
Tech Regular

That's not a bad price....I saw one at Gizmos...they were selling thiers for $249.....man that's $40 difference.....I was just wondering anyway....Dennis is going to make me an RTO....that should be enough to "run with the boys"....!!!!! .
Old 12-25-2001, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

That's not a bad price....I saw one at Gizmos...they were selling thiers for $249.....man that's $40 difference.....I was just wondering anyway....Dennis is going to make me an RTO....that should be enough to "run with the boys"....!!!!! .
IMO, Gizmo's pricing is way out of whack, no offense to the company at all, just my experiences! also their sales guy really dont know shit on top notch car, in this case I am referring to Mugen MTX-2. The reason I am making this statement is because when I was starting to get into 1/10 scale nitro I went to Gizmo and they were trying to sell me the HPI Racer2 and the salesman told me this is absolutly the best car in the market and told me the car dont come with body, engine and such and said only top end car will come without engine and body, he might be right but he was definitely trying to mislead me! Which I hate the most, if it is not the best one all he has to do is to tell me. Price wise he was quoting me $279(after a few days checking on the web best price I could find is $219 from Bruckner.

The funny thing is when I was there trying to make purchase they had serpent impluse in stock, (and I know for the fact that Serpent has much better built car, at least it is in competition form). and the guy was saying the car is way over price and it's a POS and such...................

The second incident was after I bought the MTX-2 then went to Gizmo again because I remember seeing some Mugen parts there, so swing by and take a look. At that time I didnt have rear sway bar and I ask the guy he said he has one in stock and showed me the piece, it was in Gizmo's packaging not mugen and I asked him why, then he said oh Mugen makes parts with Gizmo's packaging since they bought lots of stuff and such...... anyway I got it but by the time I was trying to install it it doesnt fit at all, the swaybar itself is too darn big for MTX-2 so took the swaybar to a different LHS and they told me it's for MBX and they even show me the exact same parts in Mugen packaging.............. just pissed me off! then went back to them trying to get my money back and they refused to refund me the money(I tosed the receipt already, but it has Gizmo's packaging lable on it, it is definitely the product bought from them there is no doubt about it! I didnt want to waste anytime and effort trying to get it even since it is less than $15 and it doesnt worth my time and gas money and such.

Oh my god, like I said I had bad experiences with them I just think they are crookeds, not honest and trying to rip me off!

Again this is just the facts I had experienced with Gizmo, I am not speaking for everyone here! So please dont hold me respondsible for it! Just my opinion.
Old 12-25-2001, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

How much is a RTO engine? I already have a extra engine, but the crank shaft is bent what can I do?
Old 12-25-2001, 02:25 PM
Tech Regular

Ah10.....eye 2nd to that Gizmos thing....the only reason why I still go over there is because it is close to me otherwise I would not bother going....around my area Robins Hobbies ROCKS!!!! Robin is the friendliest hobby person I have ever seen. This guy is polite and patient. I have seen him spending an hour answering a newbies question WITHOUT being arrogant. They might not be big when it comes to inventory but they can get you anything that is related to the hobby, ANYTHING. Man Ah10 you got me started. I really want to rant negative things about "THAT LHS", but i think I'll just focus on the one I like the best.

I guess you can just change the crankshaft if nothing else is damaged. Drop Dennis an email, he is really very helpfull.
Old 12-25-2001, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

Ah10.....eye 2nd to that Gizmos thing....the only reason why I still go over there is because it is close to me otherwise I would not bother going....around my area Robins Hobbies ROCKS!!!! Robin is the friendliest hobby person I have ever seen. This guy is polite and patient. I have seen him spending an hour answering a newbies question WITHOUT being arrogant. They might not be big when it comes to inventory but they can get you anything that is related to the hobby, ANYTHING. Man Ah10 you got me started. I really want to rant negative things about "THAT LHS", but i think I'll just focus on the one I like the best.

I guess you can just change the crankshaft if nothing else is damaged. Drop Dennis an email, he is really very helpfull.
Oh you are absoultly right about Robins Hobbies! I have been there once to get a shell, he was nice enough to match the price out there without question asked! and he was very kind explaining the T-maxx thing, I was thinking about getting a Tmaxx at that time, and he spent time showing me the Tmaxx he was working on very very patient! Now that's the kind of people I would like to deal with! very professional and top notch service! but just too bad they dont stock Mugen parts! But if I had to get someother RC related item and if they have it I will definitely get it from them!

Speaking about the engine, everything seems work fine, new con-rod, piston and sleeve looks good too, the only problem is the crank shaft. I bought this engine over Ebay and I was going to use it as a backup but unfortunately the crank shaft bent. The selling is nice enough, he was trying to contact Dennis and see if he could help me get replacement parts! I am still waiting for his email reply!

I am planning to go to Revelation tomorrow! you have any plans? and probably to SVM on Thursday!
Old 12-26-2001, 07:50 AM
Tech Regular

Ah10,

I have to run errands today, I won't be able to go to Revelation. I will make it to SVM tommorow....what time will you be there?
Old 12-26-2001, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

Ah10,

I have to run errands today, I won't be able to go to Revelation. I will make it to SVM tommorow....what time will you be there?
probably after lunch time!
Old 12-30-2001, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

It looks like I may be picking up a nitro TC3 soon. Is it better to get the rear exhaust or side exhaust engine.

Of all the engines you listed what is the most reliable and easy to tune?
Old 12-30-2001, 09:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by spongebob
It looks like I may be picking up a nitro TC3 soon. Is it better to get the rear exhaust or side exhaust engine.

Of all the engines you listed what is the most reliable and easy to tune?
Normally Highend engines are rear exhaust!

Probably RS12T and RB 5 ports are most reliable since it is not modified! but I have never own any of the 2 engines! You know modified engine is usually bored out and lighten on crank shaft so it will not last as long as non modified engine! Does it make sense to you?

I have seen a RS12T on an impluse! only one word:kick ass

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.