R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-18-2003, 12:47 AM   #1
Tech Prophet

Default European Championship 1/10 I.c. 2003 (Portugal)

I see that modellor and Corse-R's names are on the registered list besides other top EU drivers. Seems that the 200 mm class is the one up for grabs. Who else here is going for this meet on the 3rd to 10th of August?

The track at Vila Real looks fantastic. Looks like they have superb pit facilities and the track looks like a killer in the speed department. Definitely need a lot of gearing here. That's what I call a nice track

Good luck to both Corse-R and modellor
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 02:46 AM   #2
Tech Master

Thanks InitialD.

I reckoning that a 16/20 will be in order with probably stock spurs or maybe 44/48.

From the pictures on the Vila Real website it looks very open and really fast for 200mm cars (maybe nearly too big).

www.minfo.pt/amvr
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 03:19 AM   #3
Tech Prophet

Woow, that's a tall gear. With stock internal pulleys?

I found the setting of one of the guys on mytsn (Carlos Peracho) for the Villa Real track. Seems that 16/19 pinions with 48/44 spurs. Stock internal pulleys. Seems like the shock springs used are pretty soft for a high speed track. But sway bars are on the stiff setting especially for the rear.

Downstops: 1mm
Set-up ride height: 6mm
Camber Left: -1.5 degree
Camber Right: -2 degree
Track-width: 200mm
Toe-in: -0.5 degree
Caster setting (mm in front): 3mm
Steering block type: new
Suspension geometry Rear:
Downstops: 6mm
Set-up ride height: 7mm
Camber Left: -2.5 degree
Camber Right: -3.0 degree
Spacer on upright: 7mm
Toe-in: 1.5 degree
Shockabsorbers Front:
Springs: white
Oil: 30W
Holes: 3
Cilinder type: composit
Shock-tower position: 3rd hole from the bottom
Shockabsorbers Rear:
Springs: white
Oil: 30W
Holes: 4
Cilinder type: composit
Shock-tower position: 2nd hole from the bottom
Anti-roll bar front:
Thickness: std.
Position: 30 degree
Anti-roll bar rear:
Thickness: 3 mm
Position:
Tires Front:
Make: Microsystem
Compound: standard
Hardness Left: 40
Hardness Right: 40
Diameter: 65mm
Wear in 5 min. Left:
Wear in 5 min. Right:
Tires rear:
Make: Microsystem
Compound: standard
Hardness Left: 40
Hardness Right: 42
Diameter: 66mm
Wear in 5 min. Left:
Wear in 5 min. Right:
Transmission:
Pinion 1st: 16
Pinion 2nd: 19
Gear 1st: 48
Gear 2nd: 44
Pulley rear axle: 46
Pulley layshaft middle: 16
Pulley layshaft side: 18
Pulley middle shaft side: 24
Front axle:
Type: one ways
Rear axle:
Type: differential
Diff. setting: medium
Aerodynamics:
Body: stratus
Wing:
Gurney strip:
Engine and pipe:
Engine: Nova JP
Version: TS3
Head shims: 0.5mm
Glowplug: 6TF
Pipe:
Header:
Length:
Fuel: Crash
Remarks:
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 07:13 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Hum...

I'm not sure how Carlos Peracho would have tested this setup. As far as I can remember no international races were held there yet (and the track is in Portugal, not Spain - damn we gained our independence in the 12th century and there are still some misunderstandings...).
Unless he went there to make some testing on his own. That I wouldn't now.
It may be a setup from someone around here. However on the first 1/10 National race there it rained like hell and the race was suspended.

Can't quite understand how this setup would appear in MyTsn.

One thing is sure - The track is BIG, the straight is BIG and the facilities are excellent.

One other thing is sure - expect around 35º+ Celsius during the race week...
antoniop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 07:34 AM   #5
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re: European Championship 1/10 I.c. 2003 (Portugal)

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
The track at Vila Real looks fantastic. Looks like they have superb pit facilities and the track looks like a killer in the speed department. Definitely need a lot of gearing here. That's what I call a nice track
WOW How the heck can anyone finance such a fine racing facility?!?!... Is R/C THAT much popular over there so that they can afford to have a race track like that? I mean, this is the kind of track we can only dream about up here in cooooooooold Canada
mistercrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 07:59 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Strange isn't it?
Almost all our tracks are permanent and with very good infrastructures.

They are usually made with govenment money (city hall) and attributed to a club. There are a couple of exceptions but it seems to be the rule.
It would be impossible to finance that kind of project with club members money (unless Bill G or Steve B are members...)
This one is probably the best of all (and most recent) and you would be amazed to see how many racers use it....

In Portuguese terms is a "remote" track and I understand that there aren't many racers around there.

However it's excellent for a Euro Championship.Let's just hope that the organizaion is up to the task...
Old 07-18-2003, 08:02 AM   #7
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: European Championship 1/10 I.c. 2003 (Portugal)

Quote:
Originally posted by mistercrash
WOW How the heck can anyone finance such a fine racing facility?!?!... Is R/C THAT much popular over there so that they can afford to have a race track like that? I mean, this is the kind of track we can only dream about up here in cooooooooold Canada
With great difficulty.

The main things we do to build these type of tracks (which we have plenty of in Europe) is to apply for lottery funding, ask large business firms to help out in return for advertising boards, not spend the race and club fees unless necessary and the most important one - WE DIP INTO OUR OWN POCKETS AND FUND IT OURSELVES. And guess what, we dont get anything back either when we quit the hobby or fall out with the other members. Its a hobby and if you want luxuries on the track you have to be willing to spend your own money to get them.

Just picture this. My dad and uncle put $16000 into the first permanent track in Ireland back in the early 80's (equivilent of probably $40000 now) with the agreement of a 100 year lease. Guess what - after 10 yrs the lease vanished somehow and they took the track and land from us. Now, my dad and uncle started RC Racing in Ireland and my dad and myself are still heavily involved with well over 50+yrs accumulated between us. That shows the type of commitment required to keep the hobby alive and have the nice permanent tracks you only dream of

Last edited by modellor; 07-18-2003 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:16 AM   #8
Tech Regular

modellor,

Are you coming to the Euros?
Old 07-18-2003, 08:35 AM   #9
Tech Master

As long as things stay the way they are now I will be there definately. But my gran has been in hospital this past while with really bad health so I am just playing a waiting game. She is supposed to be getting home this weekend sometime so hopefully she will be okay.

Hope to meet you there.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:46 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by antoniop
Hum...

I'm not sure how Carlos Peracho would have tested this setup. As far as I can remember no international races were held there yet (and the track is in Portugal, not Spain - damn we gained our independence in the 12th century and there are still some misunderstandings...).

One other thing is sure - expect around 35º+ Celsius during the race week...
AntonioP....

Don't get mad, I know from a very good source (C. Peracho himself) that went about 2 weeks ago to practice to Vila Real. Track is enormous and very flowing. Expect to see you some there, at least on the pitboxes.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 08:48 AM   #11
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: European Championship 1/10 I.c. 2003 (Portugal)

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
My dad and uncle put $16000 into the first permanent track in Ireland back in the early 80's (equivilent of probably $40000 now) with the agreement of a 100 year lease. Guess what - after 10 yrs the lease vanished somehow and they took the track and land from us. Now, my dad and uncle started RC Racing in Ireland and my dad and myself are still heavily involved with well over 50+yrs accumulated between us. That shows the type of commitment required to keep the hobby alive and have the nice permanent tracks you only dream of
In case no one ever said it out loud, I'll put this in writting right here. Your Dad, uncle and yourself are to be thanked for your hard work and commitment to this wonderful Hobby. I wish you luck and continued success.

Regards
Ray
mistercrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 01:21 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse-R
AntonioP....

Don't get mad, I know from a very good source (C. Peracho himself) that went about 2 weeks ago to practice to Vila Real. Track is enormous and very flowing. Expect to see you some there, at least on the pitboxes.
Of course not. I just wasn't figuring out how there was a Serpent setup for that track unless he came here to practice.
The top guys here went there on a terrible rainy day and no conclusions could be taken.
That explains everything.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:23 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
As long as things stay the way they are now I will be there definately. But my gran has been in hospital this past while with really bad health so I am just playing a waiting game. She is supposed to be getting home this weekend sometime so hopefully she will be okay.

Hope to meet you there.
I hope all goes well. Health and hobby wise.
I was just asking because I understand that there are not many rooms available in the region for a decent (hobbyist price )

I guess you'll like the food... try a thing called posta mirandesa and you'll know instantly what I mean
Old 07-18-2003, 04:46 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default Re: Re: European Championship 1/10 I.c. 2003 (Portugal)

Quote:
Originally posted by mistercrash
The biggest difference in my opinion is that Europeans are willing to do something for their hobbies other than spend money on hop ups.

Here in North America, people only want to consume, i.e. pay their race fee, do their thing and go home.

R/C racing in Europe is a club thing, while over here most tracks are commercial.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 06:18 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

I agree........I race with teh edison car club....you can't believe the number of people who won,t help with teh trach,OR marshal..
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote