R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-17-2003, 10:27 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Default Exhaust Wrap???

Hey, I was thinking about insulation the exhaust pipe and header, to reduce over all heat inside the car. They do this on real race cars, and I think that this you could possibly keep your overall car cooler, and if not that than keep good % of hot air from going into the air intake. Just a thought. I would try it...but I am still waiting to get a nitro car (MTX3, 705 or R40). All you need is a temp gun and some time...
jhigga15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 11:35 PM   #2
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6
Default Re: Exhaust Wrap???

Quote:
Originally posted by jhigga15
Hey, I was thinking about insulation the exhaust pipe and header, to reduce over all heat inside the car. They do this on real race cars, and I think that this you could possibly keep your overall car cooler, and if not that than keep good % of hot air from going into the air intake. Just a thought. I would try it...but I am still waiting to get a nitro car (MTX3, 705 or R40). All you need is a temp gun and some time...
I don't think it would be worth it. There is enough moving air under the body, that i don't think the air going into the engine is that hot anyways.

Even if it did, I bet the extra weight from the wrap would cancel the very minimal HP gains
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 11:40 PM   #3
Tech Regular

I don't think you're going to see any difference in the air being cooler to your intake unless you have a crazy setup going. There are other products out there designed to keep the exhaust gases hotter.
SlobbaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 10:23 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Just an Idea
Old 07-18-2003, 10:26 AM   #5
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to corvettecrazy

what would you wrap ot with???

I might have to use this because my STOCK body is ticht enough to rest on my STOCK pipe so prevent a plastic meltdown nightmare or even ware through my first paint job I might have to wrap the pipe. and this is my first RC truck so I wont be able to tell you if there was or wasn't an improvement in performance.
corvettecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 10:58 AM   #6
Tech Addict

i think you can use those header wrap for real cars' headers

just open the side windows and rear window on the body will generate cooler air flow into the intake
kinda ugly if wraping the pipe, looks like it's broken
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 12:07 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think it might help. especially for the ntc3 because the
header is directly infront of the engine.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:34 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Pipes only get to like 150*, so your body will not melt from touching it, just use a piece of tape to keep your paint from wearing off. There will not be a noticable difference from the intake air being cooler but more from what it's doing to the exhaust. Real cars use it because there isn't as much air circulation under the hood since everything is packed in there tighter and more closed off than how r/c cars are laid out.
SlobbaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 05:41 PM   #9
Tech Addict

If you are having that problem with the exhaust burning the body...get some of that foil tape (At HomeDepot) and put it on the body. It is also great for fixingcracked Body's...Trust me...I know
Old 07-19-2003, 10:59 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Default Exhaust Wrap???

Guys;

The Idea behind Exhaust insulation is to keep the heat and exit it in the Exhaust System. Excess heat in the Engine compartment causes a loss in performance.
For an R/C Car, the added weight (of wrapping) would hurt more than anything else.
The only thing that might be of an advantage would be an internally Ceramic Coated Exhaust. Probably would cost as much as the complete Pipe and Header though to have it done.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote