R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-21-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Tire choice

For nitro touring car what tire do i want. how do i now what type of tire to choose. i was looking a the jaco nitro shoes buti don't know what shore to get.
CREWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:57 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

i'll be parking lot racing with very little track prep. i was told to use jaco 38 shore front/back. i see most guys that race on real tracks will use a harder tire (40-42 shore).
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:56 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Tire choice

The shore of the tire depends on the traction on the track.
For a low traction track, go with a lower shore tire <37 to 40>
On a surface that has high traction like where they spray the track before a race, then go with a higher shore <42 up to a 45>
Usually for a parking lot race, where the surface is seldom prepped before a race, a safe bet would be 37 shore. You may find yourself using different shore front to back, usually higher shore in the front, but always the same shore, side to side.
If you find the car has too much bite, then go up on the shore.
Try and use the highest shore you can, without having the car push out, or not have enough traction. The higher shore tires will not wear as fast as the lower shore tires.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
Tech Master

ok thanks
also do guys use paragon or any other traction compound for nitro touring.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWMAN View Post
ok thanks

I believe traction compounds are not roar approved. And its pretty much useless in onroad out door racing(too dusty). If you need more traction just go to a lower shore rating.

Race you Later...
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:10 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

I usually use harder tires in parking lots because of tire consumption. I get the necessary traction from the setup I give the car. I have found out that in the tracks I race, using anything below 42 will not provide enough tire to last a 30+minute main. But for qualifying, sure, you can go to 37-40 shores.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Default Tire choice

Quote:
ok thanks
I use Paragon quite a lot. The reason is I bought a HUGE amount of 10th and 1/8th scale tires with a higher shore rating. Then the track closed down of course, so I was stuck with probably 150 full sets of 10th scale tires, and close to 80 full sets of 1/8th scale tires. So I requarly use the Paragon to lower the shore rating of the higher shore tires. Once you apply the Paragon, put the tires in baggies to keep hem fresh. The Paragon will last "maybe" a weekend once you open the baggy, but will stay fresh as long as the bag is sealed. The 1/8th scale tires drop about 4 to 5 shore ratings, and the 10th scale will drop as low as 10 points in shore rating. For example. a new set of Kyosho Red Box 45 shore 1/8 scale tires, once trued,and then Paragoned, will drop to almot a 40 shore. Be sure to true the tires before you apply the Paragon.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
Tech Master

ok were do i want to true my tires down to. please remeber that i am looking for economy. i don't want to be buying new tires every race weekend.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Ryan41

Quote:
ok were do i want to true my tires down to. please remeber that i am looking for economy. i don't want to be buying new tires every race weekend.
Don't true them if you want them too last longer. Also, I will guarantee you that you will use atleast 1 set, most likely 2 sets every race meet.
Yokomo DRB drifter for the missus.
Ryan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:37 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Default Tire choice

Quote:
This is one of the items you will go through very quickly, and really quickly if you run on parking lots.
Not knowing what car you have, a good starting point would be 61mm in the rear, and depending on your pully ratio, 59mm to 60 mm in the front.

But you will go through tires vary fast.
Plus to keep the car running consistant, if you set your car up for size tire, and then run them way down and not keep the same size tire <mm> you will lose your handling on the car.
Things you cant scrimp on is <servos,engine pipe combo,clutch,tires>
Old 03-22-2008, 08:08 PM   #11
Tech Master

the car will most likley be a team magic g4js
Old 03-24-2008, 04:32 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc358 View Post
I use Paragon quite a lot. The reason is I bought a HUGE amount of 10th and 1/8th scale tires with a higher shore rating. Then the track closed down of course, so I was stuck with probably 150 full sets of 10th scale tires, and close to 80 full sets of 1/8th scale tires. So I requarly use the Paragon to lower the shore rating of the higher shore tires. Once you apply the Paragon, put the tires in baggies to keep hem fresh. The Paragon will last "maybe" a weekend once you open the baggy, but will stay fresh as long as the bag is sealed. The 1/8th scale tires drop about 4 to 5 shore ratings, and the 10th scale will drop as low as 10 points in shore rating. For example. a new set of Kyosho Red Box 45 shore 1/8 scale tires, once trued,and then Paragoned, will drop to almot a 40 shore. Be sure to true the tires before you apply the Paragon.
So does that mean you only put on hte Paragon once before you race, and there is no need to reapply after each race?
Old 03-24-2008, 05:17 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Default Tire choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy View Post
So does that mean you only put on hte Paragon once before you race, and there is no need to reapply after each race?
If the tires with Paragon on them are kept sealed up, then they will stay fresh until you use them. If you do use Paragon on them, and then reseal them after a race, they are usually good for two weekends.
But I keep all of my tires sealed up, whether they have Paragon or not.
The foam will dry up, and the tires will change shore rating because of the drying.
If you run 10th scale, they do make small containers that will hold these tires.
Or you can go to Home Depot, and they have clear containers that will hold about 4 sets.
I have also used the containers from Prengle Potato chips. These work perfect for 10th scale tires.
A lot of drivers dont understand the importance of maintaining their tires, and wonder why the tires go bad so quickly. As I said in an earlier post, I have literally hundreds of tires, <10th and 1/8> and some of these tires have to be 6 to 7 months old, but because I keep them sealed up, they are just as freash as the day I opened them up to true them. Some are marked as "Paragon" shore on the conatiners, and some are marked "Factory" with all of the containers having the tire mm identified. Even my practice tires are kept sealed.Paragon is a great way to lower the tire shore of a higher rated shore tire.Also try WD 40 and then seal the tires. This works more like a traction compound though. Spray it on, rub it in the tire, and then seal it up a couple of days before a race.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:18 PM   #14
Tech Elite

What about Parma or GRP? Yes/No

I'm just starting the Nitro TC on a very well groomed P-Lot track. I run electrics but we run rubber. Clueless to the foams. Do surface temps. matter in shore rating as well? Or what? Our temps. are high in the midwest during summer. Feel free to PM me.
theDover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:35 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Parma doesn't have nitro tires.