R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #16
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc358 View Post
This is one of the items you will go through very quickly, and really quickly if you run on parking lots.
Not knowing what car you have, a good starting point would be 61mm in the rear, and depending on your pully ratio, 59mm to 60 mm in the front.

But you will go through tires vary fast.
Plus to keep the car running consistant, if you set your car up for size tire, and then run them way down and not keep the same size tire <mm> you will lose your handling on the car.
Things you cant scrimp on is <servos,engine pipe combo,clutch,tires>
Do you race nitro at the Hobbytown Corona? Just wondering because I'll probably be racing there this weekend. I really haven't been able to get the foams to work at that location. Maybe the Paragon is the hot setup. What do you think?
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Tire choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Roy View Post
Do you race nitro at the Hobbytown Corona?* Just wondering because I'll probably be racing there this weekend.* I really haven't been able to get the foams to work at that location.* Maybe the Paragon is the hot setup.* What do you think?
I dont race there myself, although I do know Jamie and Marie very well.
I usually run at Crystal Park, Sun Valley, or GLARCC. Paragon runs right about $15.00 a can, so it is not cheap. So if you are running on a parking lot, try to lower your tire shoring, or make adjustments to the car to compensate for low traction.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:23 PM   #18
Tech Master

Quote:
I dont race there myself, although I do know Jamie and Marie very well.
I usually run at Crystal Park, Sun Valley, or GLARCC. Paragon runs right about $15.00 a can, so it is not cheap. So if you are running on a parking lot, try to lower your tire shoring, or make adjustments to the car to compensate for low traction.
I have Paragon already so I'll give it a shot. I have already tried 37 shore tires. Last race I changed my setup for low traction and rubber tire. It was pretty hooked up. I'll try the foam with special sauce though. Thanks for the tip.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:40 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Default Tire choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Roy View Post
I have Paragon already so I'll give it a shot. I have already tried 37 shore tires. Last race I changed my setup for low traction and rubber tire. It was pretty hooked up. I'll try the foam with special sauce though. Thanks for the tip.
Try some WD 40 on the tires. Spray it on, rub it into the tires, and keep hem bagged up for a coupe pf days before the race.
This is a great traction compoud
Old 03-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Quote:
Try some WD 40 on the tires. Spray it on, rub it into the tires, and keep hem bagged up for a coupe pf days before the race.
This is a great traction compoud
From your expirience, which one is better traction compound for foam tires, WD40 or Paragon ??

I'm little bit surprise that WD40 can be use for traction compound..... hhhmmm, I smell savings here.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:39 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Default Tire choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
From your expirience, which one is better traction compound for foam tires, WD40 or Paragon ??I'm little bit surprise that WD40 can be use for traction compound..... hhhmmm, I smell savings here.
Paragon is not a traction enhancer, but it will lower the tire shore.WD 40 is More of a traction enhancer, but does not lower the shore.So they both do effect the tires in different ways.For a quick fix, they do sell traction liquids at most shops that you can apply at the track about 15 min before a race.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Good thread and good tips brc!

I run nitro's but I don't know anything about foams. I like my tires to last so I've stayed away from them. Well I guess I bought a trued set off ebay and they sucked on our PLot track - no sugar laid out.
I've ran the 28mm HPI V groove rubber tires with firm inserts and they grip much better than any other tires I've tried and they last a long time.
I may try some non-trued foams sometime though.

30mm rear - 28mm or 26mm front?

Thanks!
Quinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:04 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinton View Post
Good thread and good tips brc!

I run nitro's but I don't know anything about foams. I like my tires to last so I've stayed away from them. Well I guess I bought a trued set off ebay and they sucked on our PLot track - no sugar laid out.
I've ran the 28mm HPI V groove rubber tires with firm inserts and they grip much better than any other tires I've tried and they last a long time.
I may try some non-trued foams sometime though.

30mm rear - 28mm or 26mm front?

Thanks!

30mm rear, 26mm front.

Infact I'm using 32mm rear ( Kawahara makes 30mm and 32mm wide tires ).
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:59 AM   #24
Tech Master

I'm in no ways a racer, so I think I'll run 28mm all around so I can still rotate them to make them last longer.

So the WD-40 gives you more traction? Does it make them wear faster? Or maybe they grip better so they aren't sliding around as much and they last longer and don't chunk as easily?

Thanks for the tips!
Old 04-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Default tire choice

Quote:
I'm in no ways a racer, so I think I'll run 28mm all around so I can still rotate them to make them last longer.

So the WD-40 gives you more traction? Does it make them wear faster? Or maybe they grip better so they aren't sliding around as much and they last longer and don't chunk as easily?

Thanks for the tips!
Rear tires are wider than front so you cant run front to rear, or rear to front<rotating tires> The front tires will wear faster than the rear, plus you will probably have a different camber angle on the tires, so that another reason not to try and rotate tires.
You need to run front tires only on the front, and rear only on the rear.
WD 40 helps with traction for "maybe" 1 race. It is not a permanent solution to lack of traction.
This is why you need different shore tires, and also change the set-up on the car<due to lack of traction on the track surface>
If you dont race the car, and run on parking lots for fun, pick up some Jaco 40 to 42 shore tires, and you should be fine
Old 04-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #26
Tech Master

Thank you! I run on a track but don't care if I get last place or not. It's more of a semi-organized hang out and run whacha brung anyway.

So you're saying with the camber being "off" and the tires not wearing evenly it's sort of OK? Just let them continue to wear down in that fashion? I'm not argueing with you, just trying to learn a little more.

Can you throw out any pointers on car setup? I've read pages, but some general concepts would be nice. Like if the track doesn't have good traction do this to your car... Or if it's a cool day do this... Hot and humid day do this...
I'd just like to know some general info; I don't want to dive deep into all the particulars.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GSPOT

what paragon are you using...is it the one for the rubber tires?
VTA member #126
GSPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Default tire choice

Quote:
Thank you! I run on a track but don't care if I get last place or not. It's more of a semi-organized hang out and run whacha brung anyway.

So you're saying with the camber being "off" and the tires not wearing evenly it's sort of OK? Just let them continue to wear down in that fashion? I'm not argueing with you, just trying to learn a little more.

Can you throw out any pointers on car setup? I've read pages, but some general concepts would be nice. Like if the track doesn't have good traction do this to your car... Or if it's a cool day do this... Hot and humid day do this...
I'd just like to know some general info; I don't want to dive deep into all the particulars.
Of course the tires will "fit",but the handling will not be worth even driving the car. If you are going to the trouble of setting up the car correctly, then by ALL means, use the correct tires. If you go to "google" and type in rc car set up, there are many sites tht will give you tips. The X-Ray site is a great site for set-ups. For approx. $20.00, you can pick up a set of front and rear Jaco tires in any shore you need.
I use the Paragon for foam tires. <black can>
Tires are what gives you the contact to the track. It does not matter how much time you spend on set-up, upgrades, "bling" or fancy bodies. If the contact patch surface of the tires is not correct, the car will not handle correctly. Front tires on the front, rear tires on the rear.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:34 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You cant rotate tires front to rear because the foam for the front tires is different than that of the rear tire foam.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote