R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-15-2003, 02:03 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Red face How to improve driving technique?

How to improve our driving technique... by practising !? How.. what to analyse ?
esham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 02:07 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Default Re: How to improve driving technique?

Quote:
Originally posted by esham
How to improve our driving technique... by practising !? How.. what to analyse ?
Esham- to myself you can check on this site http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_mod...ing_skills.htm
Old 07-15-2003, 02:38 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

practice your driving with a Mini Z, you'll find your reflexes will be heaps sharper and when you go back to your nitro tourer it will feel so easy to drive!
Sp Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 03:27 AM   #4
Tech Elite

really??
Old 07-15-2003, 03:39 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

yep, no $hit...try it 4 yourself
Sp Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 04:19 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Need to try that... I do have electric car small size but not the MiniZ but that thing is fast! ( In small size track ) But it make me abit panic on to complete a full track without hitting the border.. Need to pactise more than.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:29 AM   #7
Tech Chat Moderator

just practice. remember that slower is fast sometimes. Dont go WOT the whole time.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:58 AM   #8
Tech Addict

also try to observe how fast drivers drive, maybe try to follow them a little on the track
and plan ahead when you drive on the track, treat the track as a whole and pick the lines accordingly
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 10:23 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Sp Racer
practice your driving with a Mini Z, you'll find your reflexes will be heaps sharper and when you go back to your nitro tourer it will feel so easy to drive!
You got that right. There was a mini-Z track in my area that was on ozite carpet and we use to have some serious battles with our mini-Z's. We had turbo esc with mod. motors with 750mah batteries. Our cars would last for some 15-20 minutes depending on which motor you had and we would all have to take breaks cause you would totally zone in while racing your friends and fighting for that top postion. I got to admit that this sharpened my skills tremendously and this got me ready for the racing season. We use to drive our mini-z's during the winter every friday night ( when the kids are asleep ) into the late evening hours. Sometimes, we didn't finish racing and practicing until it was like 4am !! Oh, here's the URL for the track we raced at: www.mzracer.com
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 12:05 AM   #10
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

well
i aint buying a mini z just to improve my driving skills

you can do that with any car, whichever car u drive
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 02:01 AM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Fire
also try to observe how fast drivers drive, maybe try to follow them a little on the track
and plan ahead when you drive on the track, treat the track as a whole and pick the lines accordingly
Also, asking a fast driver to give you some pointers as to where you can improve can be very helpful.

The fast guys don't drive with their brains turned off... they know how to make a car faster, so just ask. I never have any inhibitions with answering questions; especially when it comes to driving.
Watching their lines can be helpful, but take it from me, it isn't the same as getting a piece of their mind, and understanding how as well as why they take that particular line around the track.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 07:39 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Default Re: How to improve driving technique?

Quote:
Originally posted by esham
You need to analyse your driving lines, see where they drive the fast guys and try to copy their driving line. Firstly at slow pace and going faster slowly.

To cope with the temptation of going WOT at the backstraights trying to outdrag other racers, enrichen your engine and slowly lean it to get more speed.

One trick that I use when I go to a new track on a big race is to break-in the engine I will use those weekend at the track. Seems silly but going slower makes you to notice the details on the track and after when you go faster know perfectly where you are.

This, with a correct setup of your car along practice are the unique keys to successful driving.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 10:46 AM   #13
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b
Default How and what to analyze

You gotta know what your car can do! When you know that, you'll know what you can do with it. You cannot get good at driving if you don't know how to control your car or if you don't know what it's going to do. If you have access to practice at a track, that's the best thing. Drive it slow. Try to stay in the middle of the lanes and don't try to go too fast. Most people when they first start out try to cut corners and hit things, hammer the throttle and get out of control, dive into turns at full speed and push into the wall or barrier. Just take it easy. What I like to do is follow people. They get mad sometimes but I never try to pass and I never hit them. You can learn a lot by just following someone. When you feel like you can follow someone easily, move on the next faster guy.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 12:29 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Saw this nice clips by Manticore-HK and compilation by a guy. What i like to watch this guy can do is taking those corners sharp and good acceleration. A good setup play part of the rules of course. But I abit concern on how he handle the throttle and brake on those corner.

I did asked one of the corner - he replied -release throttle and than apply 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. Not like me... slide into corner
Old 07-17-2003, 12:30 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Saw this nice clips by Manticore-HK and compilation by a guy. What i like to watch this guy can do is taking those corners sharp and good acceleration. A good setup play part of the rules of course. But I abit concern on how he handle the throttle and brake on those corner.

I did asked one of the corner - he replied -release throttle and than apply 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. Not like me... slide into corner Manticore driving