R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-09-2003, 09:54 AM   #46
Tech Initiate

Im2lazy, all is good. I do agree that my original post was simplified ( i was being lazy) However i felt your reponce was condensending "What exactly does that entail, niffken? Definitely one of the stranger suggestions...But to each his own- I guess." and I wasnt going to let that happen. I aplogize.
niffken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 10:58 AM   #47
Tech Elite

Default How to improve driving technique?

Guys;

Set-up is just as important as Driving Skill to being sucessful on the race track. They need to blend perfectly for the best results.

Put a Pro Drivers Car in the hands of a Intermediate Driver and he will not be able to go as quickly around the track as the Pro with it.

Same goes in the reverse.

A Pro may drive your Car faster then ever, but not be as fast as with his own equipment.

In my experience, an easy to drive Car will be faster in your hands than a car that is less forgiving.

Last edited by popsracer; 09-09-2003 at 11:06 AM.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 11:07 AM   #48
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10
Default Re: How to improve driving technique?

Here is my experience, believe it or not with the right tools you will be amazed how much it helps you with your driving skill!

In this case I am referring to a digital high speed steering servo! trust me it helps alot on the car's handling because it is so precise when it is centering(meaning when you enter the straight it will go back to pointing straight so you dont have to fight with your steering wheel try to make the car straight and you will gain a lot of straight away speed), second when you are making turns it holds it's position instead of wobling, you will have a more consistant turns.
correct me if I am wrong but this is from my experience because one time my steering servo went out on me so I had to put some ok analog servo there and it wasnt good!
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 11:20 AM   #49
Tech Regular

I can see both niffken and Im2lazy's points. I think we're splitting hairs. I agree the car needs to have a good BASE set-up, one which is neutral such that you can get around the track successfully at a speed a little less than a race pace. At that point, I also agree you should lock down all variables (set-up, tracks, etc...) and concentrate on improving your driving style. Any improvements will still be seen by way of lap times, even IF the car does not have a very finely tuned set-up under it. The goal is to make driving improvements, then tune the car better and try to go faster, USING your improved driving skills.

The danger in emphasizing the set-up too much is that you're doing it based on your current driving skills (which is what you want to improve in the first place), so you're chasing a set-up that matches your bad driving. In essence, If I square off corners too much and the rear end steps out, I will waste a lot of time trying to set up the car to make the rear end stick, when the reality is once I improve my driving and learn not to square off the corners I will never need that set-up.

Clear as mud?
KMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 11:36 AM   #50
Tech Elite

Default digital high speed steering servo

Ah10;

I've really gotta agree on that one.

A Digital High Speed Servo lets you drive the Car more Naturally. Turn at the Corner, instead of 5 ft before.

Once your driving skill is ready for one, you probably should have bought one 6 months ago
Old 09-09-2003, 11:44 AM   #51
Tech Elite

Default How to improve driving technique?

Guys;

Another point (may have been stated already) is if your spending every Pack/Tank changing set-up. How do you ever get used to the way the Car feels?

I remember this from my old HPI days of chasing set-up, tank to tank and NEVER finding one that was decent. Learning to live with less than stellar handling and adjusting my driving style to compensate.

I also have learned the hard way NOT to make major (unproven) changes just before the Main to try and shave a few 1/10th off your lap times. Bit me more than once.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:50 AM   #52
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by niffken
Im2lazy, all is good. I do agree that my original post was simplified ( i was being lazy) However i felt your reponce was condensending "What exactly does that entail, niffken? Definitely one of the stranger suggestions...But to each his own- I guess." and I wasnt going to let that happen. I aplogize.
Sure, now that I see what you mean, I see that I talk strange . It happens every once in a while... I use the strangest words in normal conversation: uncouthe, debacle, entail... all strange words that sometimes vomit themselves from my mouth ( ). In normal conversation it sounds okay. Different, but okay. On the screen, I can see how it was condescending- and again, sorry about it.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 11:58 AM   #53
Tech Master

Default Re: How to improve driving technique?

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
Guys;

Another point (may have been stated already) is if your spending every Pack/Tank changing set-up. How do you ever get used to the way the Car feels?

I remember this from my old HPI days of chasing set-up, tank to tank and NEVER finding one that was decent. Learning to live with less than stellar handling and adjusting my driving style to compensate.

I also have learned the hard way NOT to make major (unproven) changes just before the Main to try and shave a few 1/10th off your lap times. Bit me more than once.
Ah, yes... the dark days of touring cars.

I know how that goes.

And under the same idea as Ah10 shared, make sure your equipment is always in good shape. Always. Don't go and hit the track before you know your car is all good. If you don't check your car, and it handles bad. Not horrible, but what you think a twist of the shock collar or change of the springs will rectify. And after doing this, you find you've got a slightly bent shocktower! Your changes were for nothing so make sure your vehicle is in proper working order as often as possible.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:47 PM   #54
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord

I agree with digital servos making driving a lot easier, i've got a HiTec digital high speed servo in my XRay and the servo is so fast that I had to slow the servo speed down to 35% on my 3PK, haha. I used to have to slightly twitch the wheels left and right going down straights with my old analog futaba 9402 servo because it just refused to center perfectly straight so it would slightly drift one way or another, I slapped a hitec digital servo in there and the problem was solved.
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 02:16 PM   #55
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What do you guys look at when you're racing your R/C cars. Do you look at the car itself? or a bit in front of the car? I've been trying to not look directly at my car when racing lots of times but I can't do it. A fast guy once told me to look a few feet in front of the car, not too much but just enough so you see what's coming in front and also your car at the same time. Every time I tried to do this, I broke my car So did he give me good advice, should I keep on trying to do this or should I just keep looking directly at my car when racing with just the occasionnal peak in the front to see what's coming.
mistercrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 02:51 PM   #56
Tech Master

When I peak ahead, that means I'm looking at the end of the straighaway when I am just coming off the last turn to see if anyone crashed or something. I naturally look at least 15 to 25 feet ahead and behind my car by now. It took me a while for this to come naturally, but I worked on it. Just like blinking. Some guys don't realize this, but up on the stand, you blink a hell of a lot less. I've closed my eyes for 3/4 the length of the straight one time. Seriously, your eyes dry out and you can't see well enough. One little tip so often forgotten.
Anyway, back to the looking ahead thing... as you get faster, you will have to eventually be able to do this naturally. This way you can watch to see if the guy in front of you eats the corner and has crashed. Being able to see 25 feet ahead means you will be prepared to miss the crashed car 2 seconds later. Same thing when it comes to being in traffic, passing and being in one of those 'train rides' where you've got 4 or 5 guys running the same line lap in and lap out. If you can't look ahead, you will get toasted quite often.

But first, go hella slow is my advice. To start off, get through a qualifier without touching a single board. Then do the same thing for the next qualifier. This builds consistency and from consistency you can begin to learn how to drive better.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:07 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by mistercrash

What do you guys look at when you're racing your R/C cars. Do you look at the car itself? or a bit in front of the car?
I focus on my Car and use my peripheral vision to look ahead at the Track and gauge traffic.

This is why (for me) I feel it's better to have contrasting colors for the Corner Dots and the Boards.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:51 PM   #58
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default Here's my tip....

Don't get distracted by somebody crashing, somebody yelling for a cornermarshall or some other commotion on and around the track. Stay focused on YOUR car.

Many times I had crashed or lost concentration because I wanted to see what happened to the car chasing me or in front of me. I always get distracted by "runaways" too.

Last edited by FREAKAH; 09-10-2003 at 01:07 AM.
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 12:36 AM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

FOCUS, JOE, FOCUS
Old 09-10-2003, 02:21 AM   #60
Tech Regular

FOCUS JOE, FOCUS!
StepPins is offline   Reply With Quote