R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-24-2008, 11:25 PM   #31
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
You can only win if you compete, and when only one brand is allowed, there's no competition. Therefore Tornado didnt win anything.
hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:19 AM   #32
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRAD View Post
Not knocking the fuel.....but close to more than double the price of Byron's,Maxey's,Werk's,O'Donnels,PowerMaster....an d others!!!!
Blame the very weak US Dollar!....

Try to get a can of Runnertime fuel.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by meronr View Post
2.5liter can is .66 gallon, so just a little over a half a gallon so if you were to buy two cans which would be 5liters or 1.32gallons would be paying anywhere from $50-70 for more than a gallon because Tornado doesn't come in gallon cans..On another note if you were to buy the big can of Tornado (5liters) as i did some times last year it ran you anywhere from $50-65 a can so a little savings but not much...
Tornado is Dutch, and here in Europe we use the metric system.

For the price, I just bought 4 can's of 5 liter, which cost me 160,- Euro, here in Holland, where Tornado is the "cheapest" fuel you can get.
So just be glad that the manufacturers lowered there prices for you guys in the US, otherwise you were not able to afford this hobby anymore.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Not really. From what I know......nitro has always been rather expensive in Europe compared to here in the US. We have brands here that do just fine and have been run for years. On the average...we pay anywhere from about $21.95 to $25.00 for a gallon of almost all the popular fuels up to 30%. At the price of what this fuel will be going for.....I doubt you'll see many cans of it at any track. Again not knocking the fuel as it is a fine fuel....but the price is VERY discouraging for the average racer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H View Post
Blame the very weak US Dollar!....

Try to get a can of Runnertime fuel.....

Tornado is Dutch, and here in Europe we use the metric system.

For the price, I just bought 4 can's of 5 liter, which cost me 160,- Euro, here in Holland, where Tornado is the "cheapest" fuel you can get.
So just be glad that the manufacturers lowered there prices for you guys in the US, otherwise you were not able to afford this hobby anymore.
SRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:36 AM   #34
Tech Adept

Don't have to blame the weak dollar! Tornado fuel have been available in the US for 2 years now, and the cost for a 2.5 liter can is US$23.00 2 years ago, and the selling price is $27.00/can, yes too expensive, so it had been expensive from the get go, so the question is how can you justify the price against the locally produced fuels like Byrons, Maxy's, and Powermaster, which are competitive in quality at any single time.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #35
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello View Post
You are very correct, the only fuel during the 2007 1/8 scale Worlds in Argentina, is Tornado, then of course no other brand fuel can compete, therefore it should'nt be claimed that it "won" the world championship, but of course it won, only there is no other brand competing
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
You can only win if you compete, and when only one brand is allowed, there's no competition. Therefore Torando didnt win anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRAD View Post
Not really. From what I know......nitro has always been rather expensive in Europe compared to here in the US. We have brands here that do just fine and have been run for years. On the average...we pay anywhere from about $21.95 to $25.00 for a gallon of almost all the popular fuels up to 30%. At the price of what this fuel will be going for.....I doubt you'll see many cans of it at any track. Again not knocking the fuel as it is a fine fuel....but the price is VERY discouraging for the average racer.
Quote:
Don't have to blame the weak dollar! Tornado fuel have been available in the US for 2 years now, and the cost for a 2.5 liter can is US$23.00 2 years ago, and the selling price is $27.00/can, yes too expensive, so it had been expensive from the get go, so the question is how can you justify the price against the locally produced fuels like Byrons, Maxy's, and Powermaster, which are competitive in quality at any single time.

Hello and Nitrodue,
I apologize the mis-leading information. I will rephrase what I had said for the last years world title. We have to go a few years back to the 2003 World at Hamilton USA and as well as 2005 World at Italy. Tornado did win those title there.

SRAD,
I agreed with you on the pricing with the fuel. But please understand that we have to include shipping charges plus other extra HASMAD cost when it lands into North America. I wish there are no extra cost added to the fuel. But that is the reality we have to face.
The local manufacture does not need to add those extra cost to their fuel, that is why their pricing is lower.

Hello,
Like I explained to SRAD, it is all because of the added cost from shipping charges to HASMAD charges. If those are not added to it, we will be very happy and everyone can try out the fuel.
Tornado Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:28 AM   #36
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I been running this fuel for the last 3 1/2 years and I had great success. I'm just an average joe and the way I look at it is I want something that is good for my $300+ engine and run consistent from bottle/can after can without much tuning on the track. I have tried many brands of fuel but I still prefer Tornado for couple of reasons, 2.5Liter tin can - less empty space volume in the can = less humdity trap in the can, it's in a tin can instead of plastic, UV ray can't penerate the tin hence no more discoloration of the fuel, no more build ups in the engine, virtually no more black,blue,brown or red build ups on top of piston & piston skirts, No more engine problems (maybe my tuning skills gets better), NO more stinky fumes from exhaust (a lot less offensive), great fuel consumtion, no more chasing engine tuning when new fuel bottle is opened and great power out of corners- very responsive throttle response.

Others have complains about cost of the fuel, think about it, we are paying ~$30 dollars for a set of tires for a limited number of run but a bottle of fuel will last you many sets of tires. This hobby is not cheap but if you just want the best for your $$$ i'll recommand give Tornado a try.
boner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #37
Tech Adept

Which 2003 worlds are you talking about, if you are talking about 2003 1/8 on- road worlds, then Tornado never won that one either.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #38
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have been using Tornado for the past 10 years or so in HK. I also tried the Cosmo fuel from Japan as well. But I still came back to Tornado fuel. If you guys are complaining on the price of the fuel, then think of the price that you pay for your engines. I understand some of you are running some expensive engines which cost some $700US, if you know the fuel can offer you protection for your engines and will last for a while, will you use it?? I bet you guys will.
I understand the Tornado fuel is expensive in North America, but I suggest you guys to try it. If I am paying a little more on fuel, but I know it can protect my $700 engines will you? I will!!
Old 03-25-2008, 12:09 PM   #39
Tech Adept

Quote:
Which 2003 worlds are you talking about, if you are talking about 2003 1/8 on- road worlds, then Tornado never won that one either.

Hey Hello,

Since you are like a history book for who win the world, can you let me know who won all the worlds?
I am not trying to piss you off, just may be you can help me to get all the facts. Since I even was thinking Tornado Fuel was right.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:31 PM   #40
Tech Adept

hEY "hkboy" if you want to know who won what, then go to the IFMAR website, there you can see the list of each years IFMAR winner, now if you need some help navigating the IFMAR website just let me know
Old 03-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #41
Tech Regular

I will post my actual findings, trying not to sound too much like an info-mercial.

First, allow me to give a little backround information about myself. For those of you who do not know me, I have been invloved in R/C since 1985, and involved in full scale 1:1 racing since 1980. My involvement in 1:1 racing has encompassed every aspect- from crew member to crew chief, from driver to owner, I have been involved from every conceivable angle.

My full scale racing backround spans both dirt and asphalt. I have had the pleasure to field cars and work with drivers such as Dave Blaney and Tony Stewart. I have worked together with Daimler Chrysler's Dodge Motorsports division in the research and development of their current V8 small block race engines and components. I won 2 National titles racing ATV's, and a Karting National as well. I have also won 6 National Championships in R/C as a driver, and dozens as a motor builder.

My involvement in both full scale racing and R/C has exposed me to a wide range of quality products as well as inferior products. In 1:1 racing, with engine prices ranging from $30,000-$60,000+, you become very conscientious about what you use for fuels and lubrications. Inferior fuels and lubrications do not just equate to inferior performance. They also equate to shorter engine and component life and sometimes, catastrophic failures. Like I said, at $30,000-$60,000 per engine, inferior products and failure is not an option. It is also easy to determine what fuels and lubricants not only offer greater performance, but protection and longevity as well.

Now, to answer some of your questions regarding Tornado Fuel. Is it more expensive than many domestic brands? yes. As posted, it is imported from overseas. Is this the sole reason for the added expense? No.

We have tested the majority of the domestic fuels, both on and off the track. We have not found a superior fuel to Tornado. My team and I chose to use Tornado fuel for our own racing based on these findings, and have had huge success with Tornado for the past 3-4 years. Tornado provides us with incredible performance with longer engine lifespans. Our pistons, sleeves, and cranks show far less signs of wear than they did with other fuels, and there is no varnish/residue left behind like many other brands. Tornado fuel provides us with more performance, less wear and longer lifespan between rebuilds.

That's a win/win scenario in my book-

Another attributing factor to the increased cost is the US economy. The US dollar is extremely weak right now. As our economy improves, and the dollar gains strength, the exchange rate alone will result in lowering the price of the fuel.

Bottom line, quality and performance cost money. In Tornado's case, some of the added expense if offset by the fact that your engines run longer, requiring less rebuilds. As racers, most of us do not run the least expensive cars, engines, tires, etc; so I am not sure why fuel would be perceived as being any different. Is it for everyone? That is a question each racer has to answer for themselves.

Like I said, my team and I chose Tornado years ago -long before we sold it- based on it's quality and performance. If we stopped selling it tomorrow, we would still use it for years to come, or until there was a superior product to replace it.

If any of you would like to discuss this in greater detail, feel free to contact me at the shop-

Hope this helps-

Regards,
Todd Putnam
Putnam Propulsion
518-452-0422
Todd Putnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:11 PM   #42
Tech Regular

Default Be Easy

I think we need to give these guys a break. I for one does not use Tornado, I use Byron. On that note, I still want to say congrads on becoming the exclusive distributor. I am sure that was no easy task. Fellas, competition is healthy for our sport. Having more options is in my opinion a great thing. The fuel is more expensive, but no one is forcing you to buy it. I HATE the prices of Novarossi engines, but I still buy them because of the quality and performance. If you cannot justify paying that price for fuel then dont buy it, but lets not knock someone who is just giving us more options. I actually have wanted to try it, but also stayed away due to budget reasons. Best believe though, if I do break down and try some, and it works well.....guess what fuel I will be using. Bottom line, if it works, then people will buy. I didnt post this to start or fuel (no pun intended) any arguments, but we as racers must appreciate all that is done to grow this level of the sport here in the USA. As much as we love it, and see the passion involved with this level of racing, we cannot hold a candle to all the parking lot/backyard bashers who truly make this hobby the million dollar industry it is. Therefore, I support anyone/anything that popularizes on-road racing. Having one more fuel to choose from makes thing better for us, I think...........
Lil Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #43
Tech Adept

Mr. Putnam,

Well said. I wish you all the success with Tornado fuel. Finally someone who understands. I wish we have a distributor like you in HK.

Hey Hello,

You need to help me on the IFMAR site. So far I cannot fine where is the winning equipment list. If you can find it, let me know. I would like to brush up my history

Last edited by hkboy; 04-01-2008 at 02:47 PM.
hkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #44
Tech Adept

Trinity Platinum race blend fuel was used by Collari (that won) in the 2003 1/8on road Worlds in Cincinatti not Tornado.

p.s. The proof Car Action Magazine January 2004 and onwards.

hkboy,
Maybe you should know that the IFMAR website has informations of "who" (meaning the person) won each years IFMAR championship, not "what"(equipment) won the championship.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:34 AM   #45
Tech Regular

I used the fuel all last year and am Very pleased with it. Big Ponies, easy tuning and long engine life. Trouble is it's very hard to get at the big races. If I race locally(Midwest) I could only buy it from one retailer(there now out of business) or stock up when I was in Canada. I don't like switching fuels, but I may be forced to because of availability. Maybe Tornado would consider support races like the Byrons Race? GLC sponsorship? Winternats support? Sedan Nationals support? etc etc. If not.....I may be forced to switch due to availability.
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote