R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-15-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Default Lubing a one way?

I recently went through and rebuilt my NTC3 relubing all the bearings and such. I lubed the one way bearing on the first gear spur and now every so often the car just goes into "neutral" and takes a little bit to grab and kick back into gear. I am going to pull it back out and soak it in alcohol but how do i go about lubing it or is it ok to run it dry?

www.nexusracing.com
www.go-rc.org
shadow102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What lube are you using? I've used Serpent one-way lube in my 1/8 car. I've been running the same one-way and two speed for 2 seasons now without any problem.

I believe trans fluid, or Marvel Mystery oil is the same thing.

Worst case scenerio is that your bearing might need replacing.

But, the Serpent stuff is the best if can get some (any hobby shop that sells 1/8 or 1/10th gas cars should have it).
bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
Tech Master

just using some trinity bearing lube i think its too thin though...either that or i put too much in. I will give some assembly lube or something of thick viscosity a try

www.nexusracing.com
www.go-rc.org
Old 03-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmooth View Post
But, the Serpent stuff is the best if can get some (any hobby shop that sells 1/8 or 1/10th gas cars should have it).
lol you would think so but hobby town being the only close place around here i am limited

www.nexusracing.com
www.go-rc.org
Old 03-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

XRay also makes some and the HT near me stocks it. It looks like the red Hobbico after run oil also. The earlier post about transmission fluid for a real car might work also, looks and feels the same, but bearing oil is too thin.
kidsid99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Do not use beaing oil, or assembly oil, as it's totally different. If you have the time, mail order it from ashfordhobby.com or some place like this.

Good luck.

-Steve
bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
Tech Master

i assume just a drop or two will do?

www.nexusracing.com
www.go-rc.org
Old 03-15-2008, 12:23 PM   #8
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i seem to recal that mineral oil was reccomended before serpent came out with a specific product.

you don't want too much viscosity, so the pins 'bite' forward and spin free in reverse.
avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
Tech Master

......the Serpent oil seems like transmission oil to me...........clean the bearing with brake clean.......then a light oiling..............
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:31 PM   #10
Tech Regular

From our old tech site but still true.

One-way bearings "The care and feeding of one ways."

A one way bearing is a amazing device. If you ever have a bad one don't toss it out until you have an opportunity to do autopsy. You will find needle bearings housed in a steel housing with the needles seated in a nylon race. It's really not like a bearing and race though as the nylon part is bonded to the steel housing. The real work horse in the one way is the thin curved strip of steel placed next to each roller. When the driven shaft (tight tolerance) rotates past the needle in one direction no problem but try to go the other way and the unit will jam and the driven shaft and the one way will operate as one. The one way requires several key points to work correctly:
1) tight tolerances
2) good lubrication.
3) A clean environment.
The tolerances are really up to the factory but when wear becomes noticeable on the driven shaft or adaptor the one way's can fail.
Good lubrication is easy. Just enough oil to wet the one way's but not enough to attract dirt. As for what oil to use, I have had good luck with mineral oil. In 1999 Serpent introduced SER 1680 one-way lubricate to correct a high failure rate on their one-ways. I have to admit that this stuff really works and it is now all that I use. More on chemicals later.
As for the clean environment if dust and dirt are kept off of the outside of the one way and its components this is a good start. If you clean your car off with compressed air try not to blow the dirt into the one ways or bearings but rather away from them.

Chemicals: The easiest way to kill a one way is to damage the tolerances. If an oil or cleaner swells the nylon even a little the first thing you will notice is some parasitical drag on the one way or if enough damage occurs you can have slippage or complete lock-up. I learned this by cleaning out my one way's with electric motor spray a number of years ago and then not being able to refit them to the drive axles until the swelling went down. The one ways never worked quite as well and ultimately requires replacement. For this reason I clean my one way's by flushing them out with more of what ever oil I'm using. I'm not suggesting that this is the only right way to do things only that it works for me.
rpoage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #11
avs
Tech Master

thanks Robert,
i was just about to caution against using strong solvents.

taylorrm,
regarding the serpent one-way lube, it is more like mineral oil than a 'transmission oil'. could you be referring to serpent's 'premium lube' which is a brownish colored oil, that does seem like a low viscosity gear lube.
avs is offline   Reply With Quote