R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-08-2003, 05:56 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Futaba 3PK Question

I am thinking about purchasing this radio. For those of you that have one, are you running in HRS or PCM mode. Also, which servos should I be looking at. It seems that even in a digital setup people run a standard servo for throttle/brake. Is this correct.
jcrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 06:40 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm using mine in the regular PPM (FM) mode in the 75MHz band with a Novak Xxtra Rx and JR-Z590M servos in my NTC3.

In my XXX-NT I'm using it in the PCM mode with a JR-Z8450 steering servo and a Futaba 9405 throttle servo.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 09:42 AM   #3
Tech Prophet

jcrouse, I think you got it confused. If you want to use the 3PK in HRS mode with the R203HF receiver, you will not be able to use any analog type servos. You need to use digital servos only, including the throttle servo.

In the normal PPM / PCM mode with the R123F receiver, you are able to run and mix both analog as well as digital servos.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 11:27 AM   #4
Tech Addict

yeah, as D said, you need digital servos in HRS mode using the R203HF receiver

and i am running the HRS mode
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 01:07 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Default A little more

Thanks for the replies. I do understand how it works. WHen the mix servo tpyes the must be running in PCM mode. I believe this is what your trying to tell me. So...let me restate the question. If I purchase this controller which mode do you recommend that I use. Also, why if possible, to help educate me a little. Then, in that particular mode, which servos do you recommend that I use. Also why if possible. Thank you for the replies and I apologize for the confusion.
jcrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 01:11 PM   #6
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish
Default Re: A little more

Quote:
Originally posted by jcrouse
Thanks for the replies. I do understand how it works. WHen the mix servo tpyes the must be running in PCM mode. I believe this is what your trying to tell me. So...let me restate the question. If I purchase this controller which mode do you recommend that I use. Also, why if possible, to help educate me a little. Then, in that particular mode, which servos do you recommend that I use. Also why if possible. Thank you for the replies and I apologize for the confusion.
Stick with PCM. This way you can use Analog/Analog, Analog/Digital, Digital/Digital. Using Digital Servo consumes more power out of your battery pack.

I use only KO servos for my r/c car.
In general I use: KO PDS-2143 Hi Speed Digital Servo for Steering and KO PS-2174 Hi Torque Servo for my Throttle.

Why? Well, because I have a great support from KO. Should anything go wrong w/ my servo, it will only take me half an hour to get it fixed.

cheers!
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 02:04 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Additional clarification

Quote:
Originally posted by jcrouse
The 3PK will operate in any of the modes; PCM, PPM or HRS. It is the receiver that makes the difference, the 3PK is sold with either the 203 HRS receiver or the 113 PCM receiver. If you buy the one with the HRS receiver then you'll need to use only digital servos. The PCM receiver works with any servo. Both receivers can be programmed with the failsafe function.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 12:47 AM   #8
Tech Adept

I use HRS receiver & 9451 servos in my nitro car and I can't say a bad word about it. 123iF receiver & 9451 servo in electric car, works good as well. I have also tried HRS in electric, no problems. So whatever you choose, it works, end of story.
I have to say that there is NO noticeable difference in radio response between normal FM and HRS receivers whatsoever. I'm not saying the difference is not there, but it is not noticeable. After all, we are talking small fractions of second here and human reaction/response time is a lot longer than radio response time anyway...
Failsafe with HRS does not seem to work quite as well as with PCM (small glitching can happen before it activates FS), but it's expectable (loss of PCM signal is much easier to detect). Still, it's way better than nothing (=normal FM), so the HRS stays in my nitro car. PCM would be the other option, but I don't have any PCM receivers.
I like the 9451 servos as well. Compared to older 9450 they are easier to rotate when they are powered off, so TRS works a lot better. Decent speed & torque, only drawback is the price.
olev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 09:46 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Default subtrim

Hi,

Assuming you had the servo menu shows all channels perfectly centered. Is there any changes on the servo display when you set your steering subtrim +/- 100? I mean changes after making adjustment using the digital trim.
Baluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 04:25 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

Default 3PK TX Crystal

Hi,

I just purchased a Magnum 3PK with a 75MHz FP-PK-FM FM module. Anyone with this radio, how do I change the TX crystal for different channel operation? Thank you!!
soundfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 06:14 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™
Default Re: 3PK TX Crystal

Quote:
Originally posted by soundfreak
Hi,

I just purchased a Magnum 3PK with a 75MHz FP-PK-FM FM module. Anyone with this radio, how do I change the TX crystal for different channel operation? Thank you!!

Slide the top cover to the right and remove.....See those little clips holding the transmitter module in?...remove the module,and you'll see a little piece of metal on the module(its black)....take a screwdriver and gently pry off the cover....theres the crystal..
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 06:45 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

Default Re: Re: 3PK TX Crystal

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
Slide the top cover to the right and remove.....See those little clips holding the transmitter module in?...remove the module,and you'll see a little piece of metal on the module(its black)....take a screwdriver and gently pry off the cover....theres the crystal..
Great, Thanks Fastharry!!

One more question. Once I pry off the small cover on the module, do I need to put it back or can I leave it off?
soundfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 07:03 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

in the GARBAGIO it goes...
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote