R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-04-2003, 01:35 PM   #1
Tech Master

Default Losi Nitro On-road

any one hear anything about the new losi nitro touring car?
Fatboy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 01:40 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

saw in rc car action a short article about it, that they were testing the a car in a very long track... should be good to see how they would incorporate a single belt in the losi nitro tourer...
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 01:58 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

from what I heard, the car is suppose the revolutionize nitro cars in general. A totally differend design than all nitro cars with better air ventilation to the motor.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 06:26 AM   #4
Tech Elite

would you know if its still a single belt?
Old 07-05-2003, 08:49 AM   #5
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Were there any spy pics that could be scanned?
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 12:51 PM   #6
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i doubt that it would be that revolutionary

the design right now works very well, that is why it is around after such a long time.

any revolutionary design will be, well, difficult to beat the ones right now

that is my opinion.
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 01:00 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by B
i doubt that it would be that revolutionary

the design right now works very well, that is why it is around after such a long time.

any revolutionary design will be, well, difficult to beat the ones right now

that is my opinion.
what do you mean exactly by design? that the shaft drive has already been used or that the 2 or 3 belt system being used by other nitro tourers will be hard to top?
Old 07-06-2003, 01:54 AM   #8
B
Tech Master

well, even if the losi comes out with the single belt drivetrain, what different would it be from, for ex, the NTC3?

design i mean.....different placement of engine, fuel tank, drivetrain organization, raio gear,...and so on.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:48 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
Were there any spy pics that could be scanned?
i'd love to see that!
Old 07-07-2003, 03:10 PM   #10
Tech Master

I seriously doubt it will be single belt.

2 reasons

First. It would be extremely difficult to get a single belt from the layshaft to the rear diff and then to the front diff due to the shape and design of the engine.

Secondly - A nitro car produces more power than an electric car and the belt wouldn't be able to stand the power being delivered to it. If it was stripping or breaking constantly people would be put off the car by the amount of work involved to replace the belt and also the cost of replacing so many belts.

Even the 2 belt system on the Schmacher is on the limit. To replace a belt you have to strip the both the front end and rear end of the car and remove the engine (Unless a club has a large turn out every week this would be impossible to do between heats and your days racing would be as good as over). With a single belt system you would have even more to strip as the layshaft would have to be removed also.

I think they will either follow Schumacher or go with the normal 3 belt system.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 04:53 PM   #11
Tech Elite

I agree with Modellor. The stresses on a nitro drivetrain are enormous and trying to cope with a single belt will require a very wide belt (schumacher fusion) or extreme tightness of the belt or both. This increases friction in both cases and consequently any benefit of the single belt is lost. There is nothing wrong with the triple belt layout, it is durable and my car (V1R) rolls extemely freely. The most free drivetrain at rest (NTC3) has not proven to be an overwhelming advantage against the supposedly "old school" triple belt cars and I run on a long track where the advantage is supposedly the biggest.

I think there will always be room for innovation in the nitro tourer segment but with car design there are always compromises. I think the current crop of cars are just the right compromise.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 07:44 PM   #12
Tech Elite

AMG Racer: i like your avatar...

well... i guess we just have to wait for the actual car... im still betting its a single belt... (just to see a different drive system)
Old 07-07-2003, 08:12 PM   #13
Tech Master

Well, the first time someone thought they were seeing Losi do some protorype work with a new nitro tourer, it turned out they were testing something like the novak brushless system. I remember the articles in Xtreme and/or RC Car Action, but then again Xtreme thought that AE and losi were thinking about 1/8 scale offroad too... so if Losi is really making a nitro touring car, I feel that it will be enough to wait for a press release with real photos.

The one belt thing... I doubt that someone could make an adequate single belt nitro touring car very soon (prototype within a year or two). It would take several years and would be a very high risk of overspending. I would think any manufacturer would try to get their feet wet, first, before trying something so revolutionary.

My 2% of a $.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 10:45 PM   #14
B
Tech Master

hence, i have said, the design on the cars right now have proven themselves to be very dandy already..

so back to my theory of no big improvements will be made...

and one more thing, i cannot imagine of placing hte engine anywhere other than the 2 positions now (NTC3, VoneR)

and the NTC position is already creating torque steer......and seriously i cant htink of a way to place the engine in the MIDDLE of the car, like the cars we drive. unless the enginie designs change
Old 07-08-2003, 10:35 AM   #15
Tech Elite

we were discussing this earlier and i guess its just too early for this unless losi brings out the prototype...