R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-04-2003, 12:07 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default first RC car serpent 705.

im getting into RC, and my LHS carries serpent parts instead of mugen (i was debating wether i should get the 705 or the MTX-3.)

ive decided on the 705, and i was wondering what a good engine/pipe combo for it would be? looking to spend 250 or less for the engine.

and what are some good places to get the 705?

any servo recomendations?
NightLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 01:25 PM   #2
Tech Regular

NOOOOO!!!!!!... if this is ur first ever rc car or even first nitro you shouldnt get an advanced pro race car like the 705 or the mtx3... you should maybe start with the ntc3...
supra528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 04:43 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Yeah he correct, I also own a 705 man building that thing is not as easy as you think. I have been if this hobby for a couple of years and built many cars, the 705 by far one of the most difficult, the instruction is very vague, but pictures is by far one of the best. But hey it your money, get what you want, I'm just giving my opinion. But yeah if you get servos get Ko Propo servos, the 2143 by far the best on the market. For pipe get a one pieces one, Rb make one the very nice the x12, but it cost a bit much. Anyway good luck!
Ducati998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 06:47 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Post Pipe and Motor

The MT-12 or MR-12 and a Mugen dual chamber pipe and header. Seems to be the hot ticket here in our area.

Later
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 08:31 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

thanks for the opnions, and ducati i saw (reading serpent 705 thread) that you chose the serpent over the mtx-3.

if i do run into problems assembling the kit, my next door neighboor has a serpent 705 and he already said that he will help me build the kit and troubleshoot any problems i have.

hes the reason ive been wanting to get into nitro rc cars. ive driven his 705 and WOW... so cool. we have a local track that is basically NTC's and serpents so there are alot of parts and people that can help out.

and i was seriously thinking about getting the NTC3 but with all the hop-ups ive heard you need to make it competive (not sure if thats true, if not someone tell me what it does need)

i will be racing this car at the local track, not parking car lot bashing...

if it helps ive been into RC planes and helis for 2 years so i think that i could build this kit without to much trouble.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:56 PM   #6
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL

You said you have been into planes and helis. Thats good to hear I guess. Anyways thats also good if you strictly race it at the track. And I had this car(had to sell it for money) and when I used rubber tires it wouldn't hook up that great. I recommend the 705!
DOMOisCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 10:08 PM   #7
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Take your time while building the 705, read the instructions carefully and you'll be fine. NovaMega makes some really fast engines, check their stuff out, I'm sure there are faster engines avalible, but the NovaMega stuff is very reliable, and I won a lot of races with them.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 10:14 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

I still think that the MT12 is the best engine made. I, however, have not yet tried the new MR12.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:19 PM   #9
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I have had problems with mugen engines bieng rather temprimental in the past. They make good power, but the Mega engines have always been reliable for me. Easy to start, and enough hp to get a win without overdoing it too much. I also like staying with one brand, and Serpent/NovaMega are one, not that it matters at all, I'm just a name brand whore I guess
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 10:21 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

well i think i may get the 705 (still need to sleep on it) if i do i will surely take time and carefully make sure that is put together correctly, im not in a hurry.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:44 PM   #11
Tech Regular

ALso Ebay would be a pretty good place to look for 705, saw one on for $300 once, got mine for $330 shipped.
Ducati998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 11:04 PM   #12
Tech Master

Mugen engines rock!

I've seen problems with turbo engines, but just about everyone has seen a turbo engine with problems... something about that extra speed .

I own an MR12 and it is fantastic... much better than any MT12 I've touched. 'Course the Michael Salven I tried last weekend destroys everything- including the car, since its reciever is apparently toast. Which the owner only told me when I came down from the stand after his car had a full speed runaway (thankfully while turning) that caused the shock shaft to be cleanly chopped in half....

I highly suggest the MR12 because it is extremely fast and I found it to be very easy to tune... I still haven't flamed out for any reason- beside running out of gas! Also it can run a fuel window of around 9 minutes (if you run long mains where you race) and it makes great power.

Male sure your friend stays with you as much as possible during build up... there is a lot that goes into a car like this and many nuances of its build up can be easily taken for granted by your neighbor, if he doesn't keep a close eye. Otherwise, you'll be left fixing it for months later down the road (I know from experience in stuff like this).
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 11:19 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Im2lazy

'Course the Michael Salven I tried last weekend destroys everything- including the car, since its reciever is apparently toast. Which the owner only told me when I came down from the stand after his car had a full speed runaway (thankfully while turning) that caused the shock shaft to be cleanly chopped in half....

Which salven engine are you talking about?

As for the mugen engines,i agree they are awesome.The MT12 especially holds a tune like no other .12 in my opinion.
EVOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 12:49 AM   #14
Tech Master

NovaMega 5 port turbo... if you want more specific information about it, I don't know it as the car wasn't mine . The power on it is very astounding. The top end is similar to that person's MR12... possibly faster... but where it counts is in-between. Very impressive. The power band is smoothe, yet so undeniably powerful. A bit like an electric in a way- a good thing for control.

I love my mugen, and I feel that my MR12 is easier to tune than just about any engine beside something like a OS CV. I've never had a flame out because of bad tuning... ever (knock on wood, huh ). It is even easier than an MT12... but it could be because of the way I break-in the engine or something, but I always suggest it whenever someone asks me for an engine.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 01:04 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Thanks.
EVOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote