Wiki Posts
Search

Kyosho GX 15 Engine Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Kyosho GX 15 Engine Problem

Hi

I’m having trouble starting my Kyosho GX15 Engine in a Kyosho Fazer, what happens is there is too much compression in the engine and the pull cord wont retract (or retract really slowly as the piston slowly goes up and down) I thought that the engine might have some sticky oil or gunk in it so I opened it up and cleaned the whole inside, I wasn’t able to take the main shaft out but I cleaned the piston and the pistol sleeve all that – re-oiled it up and reconstructed it continues to have the same problem.
When I remove the glow plug the piston moves normally, cord retracts acts like normal, soon as the glow plug is screwed back in, compression is really tight again.

I thought the piston was seized so I heated it up in the sleeve with a hairdryer till it was moving smoothly. Apart from that I’m at a total loss of what to do!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Tech Addict

you have to break the engine in if it is new
Old 07-20-2008, 02:03 PM
Tech Rookie

The engine has already been broken in, Its developed this strange fault prior to it being run.

I just checked it now to try and get it started again, unscrewed the glow plug a bit to see if i could get it to turn over, it seems to ignite fuel fine but doesnt have the force to push the piston down and back up again. I can smell that fuel is being burnt and the exhaust makes a nitro running sound (just 'pop' not a continus pur)

Still a mystery to me as what the problem is!
Old 07-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Whats even more strange is that the engine inside wise is perfect. When the heatsink is off the engine runs up and down like a doddle, soon as the heatsink is re-applied the piston will move smoothly untill it reaches the top where is becomes slugish and almost trapped.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:48 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RadioOne
Whats even more strange is that the engine inside wise is perfect. When the heatsink is off the engine runs up and down like a doddle, soon as the heatsink is re-applied the piston will move smoothly untill it reaches the top where is becomes slugish and almost trapped.
Hi, when you pull on the cord with the heatsink off the motor, do you hear a "popping' sound at all? also, how far up the sleeve does the piston come?
Cheers
Old 07-21-2008, 06:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

maybe the sleeve is 'not round' anymore?
Old 07-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Rookie

The piston makes a full rotation, The engine is fairly new i guess it just needs to be broken in a bit more?

There is a slight pop noise, like air being pushed somewhere.

I tried starting it up again today, no dice, unturned the glow plug a little too, engine still wouldnt tick over.

I'll try warming it up with a hair dryer tomorrow then try and start it up again.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Arrow Good article!

Good article!Thanks!MapleStory cheats-MapleStory v.57 Trainer 6.5WOW Cheats,MapleStory Cheats,Lineage CheatsMapleStory Cheats,MapleStory Hacks,Maplestory Bypass
Old 07-22-2008, 06:06 AM
Tech Adept

The piston makes a full rotation, The engine is fairly new i guess it just needs to be broken in a bit more?

There is a slight pop noise, like air being pushed somewhere.

I tried starting it up again today, no dice, unturned the glow plug a little too, engine still wouldnt tick over.

I'll try warming it up with a hair dryer tomorrow then try and start it up again.
Ok, so if there is a slight pop noise, that doesn't sound right to me. Have a look to see if the sleeve has turned round somehow, and the ports aren't lining up correctly. There maybe a locating pin that a groove in the sleeve lines up with, maybe it isn't sitting in the groove???
Cheers
Old 07-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Tech Rookie

I took the whole engine apart and re-lubed it all up, seems like the piston movement inside is a lot smoother now,

Tried starting it up again checked that the sleeve was all aligned and whatnot, loosened the glowplug a little, installed igniter, sounds like fuel is being ignited but only ignites once, one time it did ignite twice (like a bur-bur noise) i guess the engine is just really new and needs to be really broken in, quite a bother to start though! i'll try again tomorrow

Thanks for your help its greatly appreciated!
Old 07-28-2008, 01:03 AM
Tech Adept

I took the whole engine apart and re-lubed it all up, seems like the piston movement inside is a lot smoother now,

Tried starting it up again checked that the sleeve was all aligned and whatnot, loosened the glowplug a little, installed igniter, sounds like fuel is being ignited but only ignites once, one time it did ignite twice (like a bur-bur noise) i guess the engine is just really new and needs to be really broken in, quite a bother to start though! i'll try again tomorrow

Thanks for your help its greatly appreciated!
Have you tried to prime it a bit more, as in give it more fuel? Not a real lot, perhaps just one more push on the primer, this is to see if it will run longer.
If you get a little more run time, it could be that it's too lean. You would have to turn the low idle needle anti-clock wise to richen it up a bit.
Only turn it a small amount at a time. Eventually you will reach a point where it is too rich, and if it does run, it will be spitting out oil and fuel at the exhaust. One thought came to mind, have you got the flywheel on the motor?
It won't run without it!!
Cheers